• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMOLARIS Project: ANYONE install an EDGE skid here???

just call fast , you can get a mounting kit from them and they will help you on the install . A guy I know just put one in his srx, it is out of a polaris, he called fast and they sent him the mount kit and answered all his question . They were really good to him .
I think thier site has the template on it too , cont know if the measurements are to scale but you can check that out also.

But really give them a call

Did this project ever materialize?

I am about to install a Polaris Edge 144" skid into my 2003 RX-1 shorty and was also curious about mounting.

Sounds like the major reference point is the drive axle... I am a little worried that I would have to install drop brackets in the rear to get enough clearance, like the RX-1 mountain skid requires.

-JS

It might be alittle too late on this post but I did this last year then sold my sled. I saved the templates and made a bar to install under the tunnel so you could trace the holes. I'll never use this stuff again. Sold the 1 ton because it handled so bad. Rode really nice with the Edge skid.

Attachments

• 2-06-04 003.jpg
    2-06-04 003.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 194
Here's the diagram and dimensions I used to install a 2003 Pro-X skid into my 2003 RX-1. Anybody can use the same diagram, just fill in the blanks with the measurements taken as shown, with a carpenter's square. Once you have these critical dimensions from the donor sled, you can install pretty much any skid into your RX-1.

However, I will suggest that if you want to install extroverts, you should move the skid an extra 1" rearward, otherwise you will have railtip/driver interference and that is not pretty!

Be sure to make your "top of tunnel" reference point the underside of the tunnel protectors in your RX-1, since that is the highest point that your track can go before body contact occurs.

Remember, these mounting dimensions are specific to the mounting of the 2003 Pro-X 136" skid ONLY, you must take new measurements for any other application.

-JS

Attachments

• ProX_Tunnel_dims.pdf
    241.8 KB · Views: 238
It is the same distance back from the drive shaft, and same distance down from the top of the tunnel. On the aYamahas you use the bottom of the tunnel protectors as top of the tunnel. www.jbshocks.com has the measurements. which skid are you using. Maxdlx

Pro X into 07 Apex RTX (RTX/X?) couldn't be much simpler. I did mine this past Jan. and have 1700 miles on it already. You can use the original front holes over again. No mods necessary there. Rear holes are just above the floor boards in line with the 2 bolts that hold the original reinforcing plate. I used 25" from the front hole to the rear hole. I removed the original rear reinforcements, fabbed up some 3/16 alum. plates the same size as the part of the OEMs that would be above the running board (maybe 5"x7" or so?). Fastened the new plates in place using the original rivet holes, and the original FRONT only bolt hole. Rear will get in the way of the TSL link. That's it. Bolt it in and go.

I didn't have room to move the suspension back 1". I ran out of adjustment room. I am running extroverts, and did have to cut the front of the rails. Went with an SLP anti stab wheel kit to prevent the rails trying to stab the track. Mixed emotions regarding that move. The kit works nice enough, just not sure how necessary it is. I installed it just for peace of mind.

I also used the heavy duty .405 torsion springs. They're perfect for me and my 300 pound butt. Have plenty of adjustment, without being harsh.

Using the above dimensions, and those.405 springs, sled rides at exact original ride height, and has no handling problems of any kind.

Attachments

• DSC01798a.JPG
    DSC01798a.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC01799a.JPG
    DSC01799a.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC01839aa.JPG
    DSC01839aa.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01917a.JPG
    DSC01917a.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 181
Apex809 said:
Will this be the same for a ER with the mono suspesion? As far as mounting goes?

Sorry, couldn't tell you. Would hate to give you misleading info. The mounting dims I used are:

Front - 8.5" back from rear of driveshaft. 5.5" down from bottom of protector.

Rear - 25" back from front (c to c), and 5.5" (same as front) down from protectors.

This leaves plenty of clearance above the track without jacking the back end up and messing up the weight distibution/handling. I'm curious what the mono uses. If you go to the trouble of checking it out, maybe you could let me know what they are?

kinger said:
Did my edge too, awesome skid for the money. ZX2 is much better but over twice the money.

I did check the ZX2 out. But the Poo suspensions are ones I already have a ton of experience with (worked with you on your Edge conv. while over at HCS).

This conversion, with Cobra track, extro drivers, the Pro X suspension, and rebuilt Ryde FX clickers front and rear was less that 1100. total. As you mentioned, very difficult to beat the price. Especially on a bucks spent for bang received basis. This suspension really does let this sled perform the way it was designed to. I love it. -Al

Hey Al! Thanks again for the help when I did mine, I had it mounted it wrong and when I got it right it worked mint!

Yep the poo suspension is bar none best upgrade you can do on the cheap. The Zx is more money but saves another 15lbs and will probably never wear out. Its apples and oranges really. I would be on the edge if the intro offer to the ZX2 wasn't so attractive ($899).

Nice install real clean!

kinger, actually when you get right down to it, I should be thanking you. You were the one that planted the idea in my head of taking a 4s project like this one on. There were a couple of more fellows since that I had the pleasure of working with on similar projects. Honestly the exchange of ideas just kept coming and coming, both mine and yours/theirs. When I finally got around to doing my own, had a pretty good idea of what needed to be done and how to do it - thanks to you guys.....

I was floored when I found out I could use the existing front holes again. That really puts this project over the top on the easy scale. If I hadn't had the extroverts, I wouldn't have had to trim the rails, and this conversion would have only taken about 2 hours. -Al

Welcome to Yamaha ;)!

Dont thank me, long ago a friend let me ride his new viper 700 and I had been a polaris guy all my life, I fell in love with the technology and bought it. Then I rode his RX1 the next year and sold the viper for one of my own! I would have never looked at a yamaha until I rode one. Engine rule suspensions...well that is easy to remedy :rocks:

Back