• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 maintenance

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
ZX2 is out of the sled and I took a quick look at it. first time it has been out in about 4000 - 4500 miles. All the idler wheels and bearings are fine, hyfax looks just like new with very little wear, shocks seem fine and in good shape and all the bolts are tight still. What else is there to do before I put it back in and beat the crap out of it again. I was going to regrease the idlers just for security purposes but it doesn't look like I can. If that's all that has to be done for maintenance after 4500 miles, I love this skid even more now.

yeah good call. looking into the skid a bit closer I see that the bearings are replaceable. they were still good but I pulled them apart and regreased them. I did notice there was only one out of 4 of the small rubber bumpers in the revolver. Anyone have issues with loosing them and did your replace them with something else or the stock rubbers. Seems silly to just order a few small rubbers.

Picked up a piece of 3/4" thick rubber rubber from work and and used a gasket punch to punch in my drill press to cut some new bump stops. Worked awsome and now I have a couple extra sets.

Check the shaft below the shocks. Its made out of aluminum and the plastic bushing spacers wear through and then the shocks wear through the shaft, till it breaks and locks up your track. Then you walk beside the sled cause it will move without you on it, just not with you and so you walk it a half mile beside it creeping along to a place you can wait for someone to pick you and your sled up. If that shaft breaks it may cost you some new shocks as well. One shock broke the eye in half! I replaced it with a steel shaft and brass bushings from AD Boivin if you has the up grade kit already your fine but if not you will need a machinist to fab the shaft and bushings for you.

Sure sounds like you are speaking from experience. When did AD fix this problem, my skid is only 5 years old. As far as making the stuff, thats not a problem, I have a laithe in my shop.

Ad Boivin had the brass bushings long time ago, I would say in 2011 I replaced them, I had them send me a new steel shaft as well could not see a reason to put an aluminum shaft back in. If you have a lathe in your shop you can make everything you need.

On the bottom shock shaft there are plastic bushings three of them I think. There was a upgrade to brass ones for those who wore through them. I wore through them and the aluminum shaft till it got so thin it broke. When it broke it dropped and the resulting angle snapped the shock eye as well. Costly fix.

Last edited:
Just added two read 8.5 " tricked toys billet wheels with the inner spokes in yellow powder coat.
6004 bearings worked perfectly and looks killer... Used the skidoo wheels as the fittment.
The stock black discus wheels just don't do any justice.

image.jpg

The workmanship is outstanding....

Back