• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 Vibration survey

rxrider said:
I can think of a few more things that may create vibrations.

worn/broken chain
bent jackshaft
bent drive shaft

you may already have those things ruled out

As mentioned before. I installed a new chain and a new drive shaft. It is not the sled I know this for a fact.

Don't worry about it guys. Eveything checks out and there is no damage so there is nothing left to do. I appreciate all of your efforts.

Thanks again kinger for taking the measurements.

If you can figure out what's causing it and if there's a fix to it, please post it.

Happy sledding to all and think snow :)

Well I read this thread and it appears that mdkuni does not have highspeed vibration issues like I do, instead he experiences vibration at low speed.
Sure would be nice, if all the ZX-2 guys could get together and ride for a day and compares setups, problems, and just to help each other out.

I am wondering why I have experiences the vibrations at high speed, could be my track is balloning and rubbing However I think the tension is tight enough where that would not happen. I will have some time here in the next month to take a bit more time and check things over more thoroughly when I ride, as well as make small adjustments one at a time. Where as right now, it is jump on the sled as quick as I can and start riding.

Me and my buddy ran the ZX-2 136" all last season.

My sled RX-1 turbo 280+ HP, Ripsaw studded with 162 PowerPoints, no vibration from 0 to 210 kmt or 0 to 130+ mph, got 3700 kms or 2300 miles on the ZX-2.

My friends sled Attak turbo 300+ HP, Ripsaw studded with 162 Powerpoints, no vibration from 0 to 210 kmt or 0 to 130+ mph, he got 5000 kms or 3100 miles on the ZX-2.

Well it's about that time again where the vibration is getting to me. After the ZX2 was moved to my 08 Apex I found the low speed vibration to be pretty much gone, this was early in the season.

Since then I found the skid riding bad and found one of the collars on the shocks slipped. Adjusted the shocks and installed new drivers and a used 800 mile Ripsaw.

Now, the vibration has returned. I have been measuring the skid all over and inspecting the skid and track for any signs of what is going on. I now started yanking off the wheels. I removed the lower shock rod wheels. No change. Last night I removed the two inner rear wheels. Pretty significant change. Ridding down a flat hard surface the vibration is minimal. Riding the side of a bank I still experience some. I stop on the bank and can see one of the front wheels, one of the top wheels, and one of the first set of outside wheels touching the track cogs.

Couple thoughts I had were to add washers to every single wheel on the skid to allow them to sit out further. Next since I found removing the rear inner wheels made things better, I would like to get measurements from someone else who does not have a vibration.

Could someone measure the length of the rear shaft that holds the two 8" wheels. Next I need the distance between the two wheel when installed (tape measure hooked on the top of the wheel measured to the outside edge of the top of the other wheel.) Also the distance from the top of each of those wheels to the inside of the rail.

Any help would be appreciated.

check the shafts,mine was mushroomed wher the wheele rides against the shaft. The shafts are made from a soft aluminum aloy. I bought aircraft aluminum round stock and made new shafts,solved the problem.

butch32 said:
check the shafts,mine was mushroomed wher the wheele rides against the shaft. The shafts are made from a soft aluminum aloy. I bought aircraft aluminum round stock and made new shafts,solved the problem.

Did you have a vibration problem? I noticed mine was damaged as well.

Yes,Alot of the vibrations gone now. Check all shafts,I also found some of the bearings was loose on the shafts which will cause vibrations.

mdkuni - Thanks for all info you provide on the ZX-2, you may have the highest mileage on the ZX-2 of all.

rxrider said:
mdkuni - Thanks for all info you provide on the ZX-2, you may have the highest mileage on the ZX-2 of all.

;)! I thought it may have been up there until I heard Denis Boivin has skids with over 55,000km. I would like to think I ride mine harder though so at about 14,000 miles on mine we should be about equal eh?!

Kinger, thank you very much for providing me with measurements yet again. Sad to say everything checks out the same with my skid. The search continues.

Mine is not vibrating, or maybe our trails (not groomed) keeps me from noticing any vibes LOL. I'll let you know if mine starts to vibrate, I'll ask my buddy if his does it.

Just got my ZX2 installed (my how I missed you my little ZX2) I have the same 20-40mph low speed vibration, very faint but noticable,

I forgot how much I love this skid!!!!!

Back