• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

04 RX Warrior rattling from under seat

powderpimp1

Expert
Ok, so my dad and i were working on his sled earler and we started her up to warm the oil for changing, but once the sled got to its proper warm up temp it started to rattle under the seat bout mid-tunnel, we think its the heat sheild but not shure. Can anyone shed some light on this issue.

definitly the heath sheilds,just did mine a couple of weeks ago.remove the four bolts at the rear of the suspension and you'll have access at them,just pull them out completly.prying with vise grips or thin snips should do the job but a little hard on the fingers,good luck.maybe a die grinder would work,just watch the sparks

Hey powderpimp,

I certainly could be the heat sheild. How many miles are on the sled. Mine started to make noise like that after about 6000 miles. I had already removed the heat sheilds earlier. It was the exhaust donuts coming of the header. There are 4 of them. If you jack the back of the sled up and look from behind you can see 4 holes where the pipes enter the tunnel up in front near the engine. With the sled running see if you can see the exhaust brackets rotating. This means the donuts are wore and the brackets are loose. To fix this the gas tank has to be removed to get at the header area. This sounds much harder that it is. Try to see if thats the problem and if it is you can PM me and I will walk you through it.

Piece of cake,

Buck

As always, start with the simple and work your way to the more complex. Also, only make one change at a time and then test. For example the heat shields are simple. Also, it may only be one spot on a shield and easy to fix, versus ripping them all off.

bluemissile said:
maybe i'm a bit off but wouldn't it be advised to fix the rattling heat shield rather than remove it.

A Yamaha service tip came out to remove these shields if they are rattling. Clearly thesre is no issue with removing them and they hardly serve a purpose anyway.

Back