• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06-07 nytro suspension reliability

theCATman said:
Well then you guys are doing it to yourselves & bitching that Yamaha didn't make a stout enough suspension is total BS!!

Whoever posted that you're not racing snocross or jumping, or anything like that to cause the breakage, is full of $hit too.

If the conditions are just what Bartinater says they are ( and I believe him) you ARE essentially racing snocross & you ARE jumping alot.

Blaming Yamaha for your riding style is like blaming Little Debbie for being overweight. :crap:

It was me who claimed not to ride snow-X and I don't. Also recall that in that same post I mentioned that all my buddies ride at the same time, same trails, same speeds BUT have the Monoshock, yet they DO NOT break things. I maintain my opinion that this skid is a POS for rough trails and it is specifically marketed by Yamaha as a rough trail skid:

Nytro, purpose-built rough trail sled
Apex RTX (Rough Trail Xtreme), an even more powerful and heavy purpose-built rough trail sled.
Phazer RTX, generation-2 proactive skid on a purpose-built rough trail sled
Nytro FX, generation-2 proactive sled on a purpose-built rough trail sled

So, Yamaha believes that this skid is for rough trails, yet the majority of the members on this post showed pictures of consistent damage modes when riding on rough trails like the marketing folks at Yamaha told us we could. We are simply disappointed that we spent money on something that did not live up to its promises.

I am not quite sure why our critique of this suspension has struck such a nerve for you, but the facts are listed above and displayed in the pictures contained in this post.

None of us on this post said that we "hate" Yamaha or were waving our Ski-Doo, Polaris or Arctic Cat flags, we were simply sharing our experiences, opinions and disappointment with this skid.

I apologize for offending you, but am not sorry for my opinions.

You are totally entitled to your opinion. That's great!! I have my gripes about the hyfax wear & drag this skid has in stock form myself. But adding wheels & opening up the windows cures the problem. However, Yamaha should have done better R&D and this should be a non issue.

I understand that the Nytro is marketed as a big bump sled, but everthing has it's limits & apparenty you guys that are breaking them, are pushing it past its limits. Knock on wood, I hope I never have a failure like you guys, but I don't pound my toys into the ground either. Which seems to be what's causing the issues. JMHO.

After pulling my '06 Nytro out of storage this fall, I found some of the same problems on my skid.

To start, I should mention that I stretched mine to a 136" a few seasons ago, and last winter I installed the Hygear Linkage Removal Kit.

Here's what I found this fall:
cracked rails in the same locations as garserio
broken cross tube on the rear pivot arm in the same location as others

I had thought about simply buying new rails and then make improvments. Then I thought about replacing the entire skid with a used Phazer skid and make improvements from there. Both choices would cost almost the same, and yeild about the same results.
Then I thought about getting some billet rails from Ulmer Racing ... but turns out his vendor what having problems with getting him a supply.

So I ended up going in a completely different direction that I has planned. We here at Muffin Works decided to make our own rails. We mapped out the stock 121" rails on the CMM, then added the extension to make a 1-piece billet rail. And since we were starting from scratch, it was easy to strengthen up the weak areas (where I got cracks).

And regarding the broken tube ... well, we fixed that too. We cut out the stock tube using our EDM machine, and replaced it with a piece of chromoly steel tube that has a thicker wall, all tig-welded in place.

We then sent out all the pivot arms for an extra-strong anti-chip powder coat, and had the rails hard-anodized. Hard-anodizing is much harder than normal anodizing. You can't even scratch it with a metal file!

The center and rear shocks were sent out to Hygear for a rebuild and revalve.

So the fixed skid with repair and strengthened parts all all back in the sled and ready for another season of hard riding!!!

Attachments

• Billet_rails.JPG
    Billet_rails.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 87
gade-thrasher said:
After pulling my '06 Nytro out of storage this fall, I found some of the same problems on my skid.

To start, I should mention that I stretched mine to a 136" a few seasons ago, and last winter I installed the Hygear Linkage Removal Kit.

Here's what I found this fall:
cracked rails in the same locations as garserio
broken cross tube on the rear pivot arm in the same location as others

I had thought about simply buying new rails and then make improvments. Then I thought about replacing the entire skid with a used Phazer skid and make improvements from there. Both choices would cost almost the same, and yeild about the same results.
Then I thought about getting some billet rails from Ulmer Racing ... but turns out his vendor what having problems with getting him a supply.

So I ended up going in a completely different direction that I has planned. We here at Muffin Works decided to make our own rails. We mapped out the stock 121" rails on the CMM, then added the extension to make a 1-piece billet rail. And since we were starting from scratch, it was easy to strengthen up the weak areas (where I got cracks).

And regarding the broken tube ... well, we fixed that too. We cut out the stock tube using our EDM machine, and replaced it with a piece of chromoly steel tube that has a thicker wall, all tig-welded in place.

We then sent out all the pivot arms for an extra-strong anti-chip powder coat, and had the rails hard-anodized. Hard-anodizing is much harder than normal anodizing. You can't even scratch it with a metal file!

The center and rear shocks were sent out to Hygear for a rebuild and revalve.

So the fixed skid with repair and strengthened parts all all back in the sled and ready for another season of hard riding!!!

will any of these be availible to the public to buy

Gotta believe you guys since all of the issues seem to be in the same areas, but season after season of rough trails I have yet to see any damage on mine. These posts have been around for the past three years pointing out the problem areas so I always pay attention to the areas of concern when greasing my skid, but so far so good. (knock on wood I guess) Even after bending my tunnel after a very hard landing last season, no problems with the skid. Sure, the crappy front inner idlers waffled out after the first season, but they are still on there although not doing much. Never changed them because I figured the new ones would just follow suit.

We're always amazed after a good ride that the different sleds can take what they take without having more issues than they do. A Pro X that I ride with has actually broken it's skid twice over the last three seasons of riding together. Guess I'm happy with mine.

rancidjo said:
will any of these be availible to the public to buy

We certainly can make these available, but they aren't cheap (aluminum is expensive right now). A rough estimate would be:

bare aluminum rails = $400 per set
additional options:
standard anodizing = $100
hard coat anodizing = $300
powder coating = $25

Right now we can only make these for the 121" Pro Active skid. We have a rail design to stretch to 136", and we could come up with a 144" version without much trouble.

But at this point there is no garantee on the rails as we have no testing behind them yet.

theCATman said:
You are totally entitled to your opinion. That's great!! I have my gripes about the hyfax wear & drag this skid has in stock form myself. But adding wheels & opening up the windows cures the problem. However, Yamaha should have done better R&D and this should be a non issue.

I understand that the Nytro is marketed as a big bump sled, but everthing has it's limits & apparenty you guys that are breaking them, are pushing it past its limits. Knock on wood, I hope I never have a failure like you guys, but I don't pound my toys into the ground either. Which seems to be what's causing the issues. JMHO.

I disagree. The guys who are complaining have experience with other OEM skids that hold up to hard riding & abuse better than the CK. I cracked the front arm in my '05 Vector and that was from running rough trails at speed. I think that while the CK was an improvement over the Monoshock for aggressive riders, it still wasn't in the same league as a stock Ski-doo or Polaris rear skid. I can't comment on Arctic Cat as I have no experience with them.

The FX Nytro rear skid was a step in the right direction for Yamaha. It still wasn't perfect but it could be made to hold up.

the nytro at 3800 miles needed all new bushings, the rear shaft that holds the transfer rods was bent and the bushings gone - when the shaft bent it bent the ear on the rail, the front w arm was cracked and been thru 4 or 5 sets of upper wheels. other than that not too bad. thank god for warranty and a good dealer. mechanic said you can count on a set of bushings yearly.

twomorestrokes said:
Gotta believe you guys since all of the issues seem to be in the same areas, but season after season of rough trails I have yet to see any damage on mine. These posts have been around for the past three years pointing out the problem areas so I always pay attention to the areas of concern when greasing my skid, but so far so good. (knock on wood I guess) Even after bending my tunnel after a very hard landing last season, no problems with the skid. Sure, the crappy front inner idlers waffled out after the first season, but they are still on there although not doing much. Never changed them because I figured the new ones would just follow suit.

We're always amazed after a good ride that the different sleds can take what they take without having more issues than they do. A Pro X that I ride with has actually broken it's skid twice over the last three seasons of riding together. Guess I'm happy with mine.

It's only a matter of time....My 05 Vector skid with 4700 miles is basically junk. Both rails are broke, w-arm in 3 pieces, collars for outside wheels shot, rear shock junk right out of the box, shafts bent. I had to purchase another used skid from an 06 nytro and that has been welded with gussets added so hopefully I will get another couple of thousand miles before I'll need another skid... :o|

delaminating wheels, bent transfer cross shaft, bushings, more bad wheels, broken front arm, lots of hyfax, egged out mount holes, same as if you had an arctic cat.

I hope I'm not jinxing myself, but after a season and a half and 7000 miles, I've gone through 2 sets of idlers and 3 sets of hyfax. No other problems with the suspension. My only complaint is that it bottoms VERY HARD. By comparison, I destroyed the suspension in my '97 SX after 3000 miles.

it seems no one is happy with the skids in our sleds all i hear about is how crappy the no action is in our srx's well i'll tell you what i ride mine hard all i have done is replace wheels with another set of yamaha wheels recommended by port yamaha and changed my hyfax at 2600 miles for no reason there was plenty left. for the guys who dislike the new setups i have a 1990 xlv 540 that'll beat the living poop out of you. personally i love the suspension compared to the past offers.

I do not have a problem with the suspension either. After 2500 miles I have replace hyfax and had the shocks rebuilt, I do not see any problems with cracks or breaks, I ride hard, hit any jump I can find, however I do tend to notice that it bottoms out quit a bit.

I managed to get 2700 miles out of mine. Noticed it starting to ride differently so i checked it out. Both front and rear arms were broke at the welds, and all the bushings hammered out of it. Hard to believe this with so few miles on it and a fresh rebuild on the whole thing this past fall including having the shocks done by pioneer performance. Needless to say not very happy with it considering i have over 8000 hard miles on a 99 cat and never had to do anything but shock rebuilds and new springs a few times. Now i have a proX suspension on its way to replace the junk i took out of my nytro. Hope its as reliable as my cats have been which i will be riding now until i get the yamaha done. I dont understand how you market a big bump suspension that cant handle being used like it was designed to be.

Back