• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 apex won't go straight

Smokey1

I have an 06 apex rtx. It has the gytr shocks on it. The sled seems to dart around on me. A friend was riding behind me saw me trying to keep it straight. He seemed to think I need a wider ski and more carbide. There are no picks in it and the carbides are stock and in good shape. Any suggestions??

Smokey1 said:
I have an 06 apex rtx. It has the gytr shocks on it. The sled seems to dart around on me. A friend was riding behind me saw me trying to keep it straight. He seemed to think I need a wider ski and more carbide. There are no picks in it and the carbides are stock and in good shape. Any suggestions??

More than likely the skis have gotten toe'd in slightly......that will cause excessive darting. If you don't know how to check them, find a mechanic and get it checked soon. Stock skis need to be slightly toe'd out. Good luck.

There are a few things to check.
First. Is the sled new to you?
What type of skis and carbides?
Current suspesion setup. ie limiter strap setting, front spring setting, rear spring setting.
You could have excessive ski pressure and with stock skis and basic carbides the sled will be a handfull trying to keep straight.
Depending on your driving style would dictate what you could to to solve your issue.

The Basics
With the sled on the floor measure the "toe" of the skis. It should be 1/4 toe out. Now look at where the front spring pre-tension is set . Lift the front of the sled so there is no weight on the skis. Back off the spring jamb nuts until the springs are loose. Then tighten on full turn and lock the jamb nuts.
Take a look at the limiter strap. It should be at it's longest length. Meaning no holes exposed above the bolts clamping it down.
Look at the pre-tension on the rear spring. For an average weight person it should be on the second clip position and the middle "seated" position.
Take a look at the transfer rod. Measure it with the tool that is in the tool box in the trunk. You want to start with the transfer in the middle of the adjustment.
Now come back to the skis. Remove them from the sled. Under the rear portion of the ski rubber block add a 1/8"shim accross the back. Secure it with screws or a good adhesive.
Try the sled in this neutral setup and let us know how it responds. For the basic trail runner this setup will work fine.
If you are an aggressive twisty trail rider there are alot more things you can do with carbides, skis, sway bars and the adjustments in the trasfer rod, limiter strap and rear spring.

Lift the front of the sled and adjust your shocks so the a-arms are close to parallel when the sled is back on the ground.

X3 on the dooly carbides. 4" ones if your not picked.

Back