• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 VK pro no start

VKProSteve

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 VK Professional
Hey Guys/Gals. Started my VK several times this summer with no issues. This fall cranked good but no start. Cranks great but doesn’t even fire a bit. Lots of fuel. There are no lights on dash and no display. No electric fuel pump that can be heard running. Yes, the kill switch is up. It’s -30c out there now and its such a hog I don’t think I’ll get it over to the shed but was hoping to get any advise. I replaced the stator and regulator/rectifier last winter (yamaha parts) and it ran great with no problems all season. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Last edited:

It is pretty common for them to take a very long time to get started after sitting. I know when I first start mine in the fall the battery is practically dead before it will fire up. I have heard that pressurizing the vent line can help push gas into the carbs. There is a recent thread about adding a primer that also talks about the hard starting.

Mine isn't a fan of starting when it is 20 below to begin with, so combine that with sitting for a long time and that might the problem.

Try taking off the cover off the breather box, spray some gas in the trumpets with the throttle wide open , reinstall cover on the intake and try starting, may have to do two applications , if the sled runs for a bit then you have dirty carbs! There is no electric fuel pump and the dash doesn't work until the sled is running, fuel left in the carbs sitting all summer will turn to gum and plug passages. Solution when summerizing pull the two lines off the mechanical fuel pump and start the sled and let the sled run itself dry! Hope this helps! Cheers!

Thanks a lot! I’ll give it a try when it warms up. I assumed it was an electric pump and there were lights when the key turned on. I’ll stop stressing about it now. Very much appreciated

Thanks, that’s all it was. I just needed to get the fuel to the carbs. A few squirts in the carbs and away it went.

Along with 4 hrs of having a forced air diesel heater pumping under it with tarps on it and my generator charging the battery up as much as I could.

Along with 4 hrs of having a forced air diesel heater pumping under it with tarps on it and my generator charging the battery up as much as I could.
Fyi another great way to start any engine with empty carbs is to soak a rag in gas and lay over the air filter or in the case of our vk ...open the airbox and drape the rag over carb intakes. It will attempt to start many times and speed up the fuel to the carbs

Back