• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 Phazer Suspension Problems

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX
The rear suspension travels between two white plastic stops. Our sled at rest would sit about 1/2 way between the stops. We could only get it to rise to the highest position by lifting the rear of the sled. We replaced the two springs and many other parts. We also had the rear shock rebuilt. Now it is all back together. But the problem persists. If the rear of the sled is lifted, the suspension rises to the upper stop. It will sag 1/4 when you put the sled back onto the ground (heard Yamaha has a sag problem, but this seems over the top). If my 105 lb son sits on it, the rear suspension travels to about 1/2 way to the bottom stop. If he gets off of the sled, the suspension stays at about 1/2 way. With just a light lift, the suspension will rise to the top stop again. It does not seem that the suspension is hanging up or is stiff anywhere. It just sags. Why? How do we fix this?

It's not something that needs to be fixed. Phazer suspension has this sit in. When riding the suspension does work through the full range. The stops that you are referring to are controlling the coupling of the front and rear arms. Stiffening up the rear springs by rotating the adjusters on the read arm will eliminate Te sit in a bit, but, you will sacrifice the ride for your son as he doesn't weigh much. If it is not bottoming out, it is not an issue.

Actually all sounds like normal operation of the rear skid, Its not supposed to sit up at the top. If It did It would ride like a pogo stick. Are you sure all the grease points are all serviced also check the middle linkage to see If It Is still together at the bottom of the front shock. My 08 RTX broke within first 2 weeks of owning It, and It was hard to spot without really getting In there and looking close.

I forgot to mention that we have the spring tension on hard. There is absolutely no rebound whatsoever after my son gets off the snowmobile. This is normal? Seems like there should be rebound after my son gets off just like all of the other sleds in our family.

Check the bushings on the rear track assembly mount where they bolt to the chassi. There are no grease fittings on them so they tend not to get serviced. This will cause the set to stay .

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If on hard, I would suspect the possibility that the front arm might be broken. Inspect all of the linage at the bottom of the rear shock, and the connections at the front arm. These sleds don't rebound very well and do hold the set, however, with his weight it should not need to be set on hard.

I agree here with SnoNinja If It's set to hard on the spring tension blocks It should return upward at least 3/4 of the travel when unloaded but I don't think the hardest setting Is for a 105 pound rider though, I am sure something has broken In the skid like a bolt sheared or a weld busted.

is the bearings still in the lower shock mount on the pivot? the 09 rtx i have apart in garage right now has no bearings or shells left in it. found it when i was learning i need a rear arm as it was cracked behind the upper wheel bearings.

Back