• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1.75'' BC upgrade and experiencing power loss

drewseph

Veteran
Hey i hope you guys can help me maybe,im new on here and dont know much about clutching or gearing but here goes..

I swapped the ripsaw for a 1.75 backcountry track on my 2011 rtx, in a nutshell i feel large powerloss coming from the mostly the bottom to mid range.. It definietly feels the clutching isnt engaging properly, and also there is some belt slipping/blowing happening.

Maybe you guys have ideas or know the things guys are tinkering with when they upgrade to the 1.75 on these 121'' rtx's?

This is making me crazy! I am unable to go for a ride because im simply not getting the full experience out of my sled, compliments of this power loss.

please anyone with trusted ideas ... Thanks

ps.. The sled is stock with just the track upgrade and an mbrp muffler.

Andrew.

You need to do some clutching, unless you know how to tune clutches, best to leave it to the experts. Give Ulmer racing, schmidt brothers racing, drag & fly, or any other company that does it sell you a clutch kit

natedawgedog said:
You need to do some clutching, unless you know how to tune clutches, best to leave it to the experts. Give Ulmer racing, schmidt brothers racing, drag & fly, or any other company that does it sell you a clutch kit
Thanks.. so can i not change rollers, weights, springs, any of these things?... drop down a gear? It seems like i need more belt grip

It shouldnt be that drastic of a change with your track swap. I would start by taking the belt and both spring out of the clutches and see if they are binding. Make sure the track rotates freely also. Clutching will improve your performance but it shouldnt be mandatory.

cannondale27 said:
It shouldnt be that drastic of a change with your track swap. I would start by taking the belt and both spring out of the clutches and see if they are binding. Make sure the track rotates freely also. Clutching will improve your performance but it shouldnt be mandatory.
I didnt think the change should be drastic either after the track swap.. thats why it is frustrating.. what other things could it be do you think?

Other things I have done with the sled:

i drilled out my air box lid and tried that for a little while, but quickly put a new lid back on. .

And also i have the front suspension limiter straps taken out(wheelies).

maybe these things couldve done something.

Im not sure of the gearing on the short tracks, but I put a BC on my XTX and Allen at Ulmer Racing told me to drop a tooth on the top gear. Stock was 21. Changed to 20 tooth and it seems to pull just as hard as stock but I did loose a little top end. Give him a call, he will hook you up. I plan on doing his clutch kit soon.

if all you want is better belt grab then changing from 15.8 (stock I belive) roller bushings to 15 or 14.5 will do that for you, gearing down will do that too. but if you are wanting to get the most out of your setup adjustable weights, different primary spring, and a different helix would be the things I would change out. I tried mixing and matching different setups and was never happy but using allen ulmers clutch kit gave me everything I needed to make it handle the power without any problems yet, my clutches and belt still look brand new 2nd year on this setup.

I would advise against taking the limiter straps out tho, you are asking for problems. first to me would be having your suspension bind up and stab your track and either A)stop your sled dead maybe bend a rail or B) tear your brand new track in half and bend your rails. they are there for more than just keeping your front end down...
with proper clutching/gearing you should be able to stand your sled up on the rear no problem with the straps still on there. I know my xtx can when I want it too.

These are all a great help you guys.. Would you think ulmer would answer a couple questions for me even if I hadnt bought a kit from him?

And as far as the limiter straps go- if i put them back in but on the last holes, is that kind of defeating their purpose? or is that effective do you think?

Ulmerr could send you the gear you need and he will answer ?'s.
I am a novice but would agree with dropping a tooth on the top gear as the right direction

yamadoo said:
Ulmerr could send you the gear you need and he will answer ?'s.
I am a novice but would agree with dropping a tooth on the top gear as the right direction
Yea I may give him a call and see what he thinks I should try first. For now I wanna try to avoid budgeting a clutch kit... funds are tight.. Thanks yamadoo

Still open for more suggestions!

Back