• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt Break-in

DennyTuna

RIP-Logan-Dylan-Never forgotten!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 Winder LTX 50th
16 SR Viper RTX (red)
02 SX Viper ER (red)
97 SX Vmax 600 (red)
How many miles does it take to break a new belt in properly? So my thought is during these first agonizing 100 miles to break in the new 50th LTX I would break in a couple of new belts also. Gonna run the 8Jp belts. Run the first one for 50 miles and then put on another new belt for the other 50 miles. Not that this matters but I have the orange secondary spring, HD rollers and Dalton primary spring from TD and a belt adjuster as well. Is 50 miles @ really slow speeds enough for a good break-in?

How many miles does it take to break a new belt in properly? So my thought is during these first agonizing 100 miles to break in the new 50th LTX I would break in a couple of new belts also. Gonna run the 8Jp belts. Run the first one for 50 miles and then put on another new belt for the other 50 miles. Not that this matters but I have the orange secondary spring, HD rollers and Dalton primary spring from TD and a belt adjuster as well. Is 50 miles @ really slow speeds enough for a good break-in?
look in your yamaha manual it say first 25 mile not more than 3/4 throttle and play with the throttle after that your good to go ...

If you break that LTX in at really slow speeds you're gonna be Real sorry!

i must be very lucky. i got on the sled brand new and rode it like i stole it. 3500 miles now on factory belt and no probs yet. thought it was more important to seat the rings than pop a belt.

i must be very lucky. i got on the sled brand new and rode it like i stole it. 3500 miles now on factory belt and no probs yet. thought it was more important to seat the rings than pop a belt.

Exactly my point!! That's what I'm gonna do with mine too.

Broke my sled and belt in on Monday. Drove up the field slow for about one mile, then made 6 back to back 1/4 miles passes at wide open throttle, then drove home and let it cool off. On Tuesday checked the sled all over, everything looks good and the sled works awesome. Pulled 110 mph on the speedo in that distance turning 8750 to 8900. Not a measured distance, could be a little longer.

Broke my sled and belt in on Monday. Drove up the field slow for about one mile, then made 6 back to back 1/4 miles passes at wide open throttle, then drove home and let it cool off. On Tuesday checked the sled all over, everything looks good and the sled works awesome. Pulled 110 mph on the speedo in that distance turning 8750 to 8900. Not a measured distance, could be a little longer.

Sounds great!! Glad to hear she runs great...can't wait to try mine in about a month.

I was planning the same thing Snoden.

If you break that LTX in at really slow speeds you're gonna be Real sorry!
Please explain the theory behind this. I've heard the break it in how you ride it plan but never the science of it. Thanks in advance. Space.

look in your yamaha manual it say first 25 mile not more than 3/4 throttle and play with the throttle after that your good to go ...

I read that thing cover to cover, mind must have been wondering while reading that section. Thanks!

Please explain the theory behind this. I've heard the break it in how you ride it plan but never the science of it. Thanks in advance. Space.

Now that were off topic I'm with Spaceman on this as well. I've read both the Sidewinder and Thundercat manuals and they say this. Sidewinder no more than a quarter throttle for the first 100 miles then no more than half throttle for the next 200 miles. The Thundercat says no more than 6000 rpm for the first 100 miles then no more than 8000 rpms for the next 200 miles. I get seating the rings but, no break-in what so ever?

Boost helps rings seat in a hurry. The biggest thing that would need breaking in would be the camshafts. Lots of opinions and stories of I did this and that. If you feel better following the manual by all means follow it. I'm a couple heat cycles then ride it like you stole it kind of guy myself.

As far as the belts go be sure to wash them good in hot soapy water to get the release agent off

Boost helps rings seat in a hurry. The biggest thing that would need breaking in would be the camshafts. Lots of opinions and stories of I did this and that. If you feel better following the manual by all means follow it. I'm a couple heat cycles then ride it like you stole it kind of guy myself.

As far as the belts go be sure to wash them good in hot soapy water to get the release agent off

Forgot all about washing the belts before use, thanks Staggs for the reminder.

This is a whole new learning curve coming from 2 smokers to 4 stokers, thanks for your opinion and it makes perfect sense.

I've never washed a belt ever...and never had an issue??? I don't think my dealer is gonna wash the belt before they put it on the new sled...are they?? I mean...I gotta be honest, been sledding for a long time, and that's the first time I've ever heard this before. I guess you learn something new every day...

Been washing new belts since the late 90's. Just completely forgot about it until Staggs brought it up. I'm just getting back into sledding after a 9 year absence. Its coming back slowly but its coming back.

Back