• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

11,000 mile review the good and bad.

GAS

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder RTX, TD SQ exhaust, TD tune bundle. Dash flash, TD/Dalton clutch kit, 225, 1.57 mega bit studs. Pilot skis.
Here are the details of my 2 years with my RTX se. First winter I had no tune but a studded track, only 140 studs sticking out 1/4 of an inch above track. This was installed by dealer that didn't understand how to stud a track. First impression was man is this thing heavy in the front. Next was is this thing ever fast. The power was fun but the ride and handling were not. I played with suspension for many miles and could not get it to turn properly. I replaced the skis with pilots and things improved. But still not great. Ended up adding snowtrackers to pilots. It would turn but I had to keep the weight on the front end and my shoulders were dead by the end of the winter. So alot of time and money spent to get the sled to turn just ok. My SE didn't have the QS3. Suspension at back end would bottom out alot and buck on rough trails at high speed which was not good if you hit bumps on a angle. First year bearing for turbo let go(around 1500miles), dealer noticed fan was hitting casing when they had exhaust off to fix oil tank leak. Yamaha fixed no problem. I changed my belt at 2500mile, it still looked good but I changed anyway. Ran another 2500+miles on next belt no problems. Racing 700 ft against a 800 or 850 2 stroke was a challange, Traction was a problem, lots of spinning. If track was lose at all i would loose. Hard track the 2stroke would jump out first 300ft then I would run it down. And of course speed runs sw was always ahead. So that was my 1st winter, hated the handling, suspension and the heavy feel of front end. Loved the power. During the summer I took the sled apart to change the track and install 225 woody's 1575 mega bits. Since everything was apart I replaced the bearing in chain case and behind break and sec clutch. The bearings I took out were all still good. Replaced drive chain and sprokets, they also looked ok, chain was a little stretched. Checked chain tensioner, no loose screws. Bearing behind brake had not turned on shaft. Replaced a few idlerwheels because rubber was coming off. Also replaced tri hub(bearings were still good) with JT 4 wheel kit. Also put big boy springs in back end to try and get a better ride hieght to see if shocks would work better, they did not. Replaced drive sprockets. So really no wear issues after 5000+miles. I thought that was pretty good.
Then started the mods, CAI, tune bundle, dash flash, blow off valve, 3bar map, SQ exhaust, dalton clutch kit, full tunnel protector along with the 225 studs sticking out over 1/2 an inch meant 295hp with all kinds of traction. On hard pack this thing was a rocket, crazy acceleration, crazy fast. Only another tuned sled could touch it. It was addictive. The tune worked perfect for the whole winter, over 5000 miles, that yamaha engine is the best. The handling was still bad and now with more power, as a friend said"easy to get in trouble with this sled on the trails" So with the added power came problems, blowing a belt every 800 miles, snapping belts, even bent sec clutch once when belt blew. Got the clutches lined up, machined the sec. Made no difference. Had to run track very tight so it wouldn't jump. 5000 miles, 2 set of slides, 2 drive chains and sprockets, rubber peeled off every idler wheel, track stretched to the end. By the end of the winter I was driving it like it was a 150hp sled because I didn't want to have to work on it anymore. Opened my chain case this summer to replace chain and scrokets before I sold it and chain tensioner back screw had backed out and was caught between tensioner and casing, just luck it didn't fall into chain. So thats my experence with the sidewinder. Had alot of power, spent alot of money and alot of time working on it. This year I'm running a XRS Renegade 900t. No tune yet, lol. This engine wont make the power the yamaha did with a tune. With the miles I put on I think the 900 will be a good reliable sled. So far it feels lighter in front and handling and suspension is way better. Engine looks to be 4-6 inches farther back in chassis then SW. Doesn't feel heavy. Throttle felt a little weird at first but after 50 miles seems normal now. Depends what mode you run in.

Last edited:

Here are the details of my 2 years with my RTX se. First winter I had no tune but a studded track, only 140 studs sticking out 1/4 of an inch above track. This was installed by dealer that didn't understand how to stud a track. First impression was man is this thing heavy in the front. Next was is this thing ever fast. The power was fun but the ride and handling were not. I played with suspension for many miles and could not get it to turn properly. I replaced the skis with pilots and things improved. But still not great. Ended up adding snowtrackers to pilots. It would turn but I had to keep the weight on the front end and my shoulders were dead by the end of the winter. So alot of time and money spent to get the sled to turn just ok. My SE didn't have the QS3. Suspension at back end would bottom out alot and buck on rough trails at high speed which was not good if you hit bumps on a angle. First year bearing for turbo let go(around 1500miles), dealer noticed fan was hitting casing when they had exhaust off to fix oil tank leak. Yamaha fixed no problem. I changed my belt at 2500mile, it still looked good but I changed anyway. Ran another 2500+miles on next belt no problems. Racing 700 ft against a 800 or 850 2 stroke was a challange, Traction was a problem, lots of spinning. If track was lose at all i would loose. Hard track the 2stroke would jump out first 300ft then I would run it down. And of course speed runs sw was always ahead. So that was my 1st winter, hated the handling, suspension and the heavy feel of front end. Loved the power. During the summer I took the sled apart to change the track and install 225 woody's 1575 mega bits. Since everything was apart I replaced the bearing in chain case and behind break and sec clutch. The bearings I took out were all still good. Replaced drive chain and sprokets, they also looked ok, chain was a little stretched. Checked chain tensioner, no loose screws. Bearing behind brake had not turned on shaft. Replaced a few idlerwheels because rubber was coming off. Also replaced tri hub(bearings were still good) with JT 4 wheel kit. Also put big boy springs in back end to try and get a better ride hieght to see if shocks would work better, they did not. Replaced drive sprockets. So really no wear issues after 5000+miles. I thought that was pretty good.
Then started the mods, CAI, tune bundle, dash flash, blow off valve, 3bar map, SQ exhaust, dalton clutch kit, full tunnel protector along with the 225 studs sticking out over 1/2 an inch meant 295hp with all kinds of traction. On hard pack this thing was a rocket, crazy acceleration, crazy fast. Only another tuned sled could touch it. It was addictive. The tune worked perfect for the whole winter, over 5000 miles, that yamaha engine is the best. The handling was still bad and now with more power, as a friend said"easy to get in trouble with this sled on the trails" So with the added power came problems, blowing a belt every 800 miles, snapping belts, even bent sec clutch once when belt blew. Got the clutches lined up, machined the sec. Made no difference. Had to run track very tight so it wouldn't jump. 5000 miles, 2 set of slides, 2 drive chains and sprockets, rubber peeled off every idler wheel, track stretched to the end. By the end of the winter I was driving it like it was a 150hp sled because I didn't want to have to work on it anymore. So thats my experence with the sidewinder. Had alot of power, spent alot of money and alot of time working on it. This year I'm running a XRS Renegade 900t. No tune yet, lol. This engine wont make the power the yamaha did with a tune. With the miles I put on I think the 900 will be a good reliable sled. So far it feels lighter in front and handling and suspension is way better. Engine looks to be 4-6 inches farther back in chassis then SW. Doesn't feel heavy. Throttle felt a little weird at first but after 50 miles seems normal now. Depends what mode you run in.
That's too bad you had handling problems, the 2019 srx was perfect right out of the box no tuning necessary carving corners like its on rails very little steering effort and clutched perfect, they nailed that one.

It took me about 500 miles to get my RTX SE handling great with adjustments. The ride could be better, but it isn't bad.

I hope you enjoy your 900. I've heard great things about them.

Yeah, my RTX with Cat skis/slim-jims handles great. Tighten/change that front track spring.
when you tune them up you find the weak spots for sure.

My first impressions of my buddies 900T. The suspension was way to stiff. I am 285 without gear and even on medium it wouldnt bottom out. He and my other friend with the 850 2 stroke made great changes by sending their shocks out. The throttle wow you got used to that? I couldnt handle how much lag it has or the programming is way off since it is fly by wire. No where near the power of the Yamaha. Steering is better it doesnt feel as heavy and goes where you put it for sure. I am sure they make a better windshield or some better wind coverage. My Winder is the warmest sled I have ever ridden. I think both have solid points. I have pretty much fixed my belt blowing issue, added a mechanical power steering kit snow trackers make the front end turn better. The last thing is the shocks. I decided to send mine out like they did. Sent to Hygear for dual rate springs and revalve dyno tuned. I havent got them back yet to try but that should make this a great sled besides the little things others have mentioned. I havent had any of those issues yet. I am taking the chain case apart and replacing the top gear and welding the chain tensioner just to be safe. The 900T is not in the same planet with the Winder, power wise.

Ya, they get to be problematic in the driveline with all that power. I've always liked the ride handling and steering with my LE model and the QS3R's however. Curious to see how it goes with your new 900t. At least you got the one with the best shocks this time. I've ridden my buddies XRS900T and am none too impressed with it for ride and handling, I prefer my Winder better. The Doo really needs the front end revised to be on par with Cat and Polaris. Better engineered driveline on the Doo that is certain. Could be my next machine if they make the changed needed to throttle, front end and some more power.

Ya comparing a top of line to a bottom of the line isn't a great comparison. But thanks for your review. We'll see how those 900's hold up with the added power that some are putting to them... maybe after this season.

I had a look over on Dootalk a few days ago and saw that someone posted these 900T's can't even get to the HP of a stock sidewinder without hardware changes.
Is that true?
Geez, that sucks.

Too bad you bought the sled with the cheap shocks on it. The good qs3 shocks make a huge difference. I bet your ride report would be a lot different if you had the good shocks on it.
Ya comparing a top of line to a bottom of the line isn't a great comparison. But thanks for your review. We'll see how those 900's hold up with the added power that some are putting to them... maybe after this season.
Not a comparison, just an honest unbiased review of my 10,000+miles on a RTX se. The QS3 were spring order so I couldn't get them when I bought. I made sure to pre order my 900 so I could get the shock package. I'm sure the 900T will have its good and bad. Not enough power being top of list.

I had a look over on Dootalk a few days ago and saw that someone posted these 900T's can't even get to the HP of a stock sidewinder without hardware changes.
Is that true?
Geez, that sucks.
Power of 900T not in same class as SW, stock or tuned.

My tuned turd of a 900 will outrun any stock Winder until I'm topped out. Tuned Winders I don't stand a chance. Just got off the dyno today and made 218hp with stock hardware with a turn on the stock FPR to increase fuel pressure a bit. Had the sleds out on the lake this past weekend. I ran 115.8 and the 300hp tuned winders were running 120-122. 330hp winder went 125ish. These were trail sleds. The 330hp lowered "prepped"winder went wayyyy faster.
Must of been a headwind.
I recently GPS'd 124 on a winder with software only, and a little weight added to the stock weights.

My tuned turd of a 900 will outrun any stock Winder until I'm topped out. Tuned Winders I don't stand a chance. Just got off the dyno today and made 218hp with stock hardware with a turn on the stock FPR to increase fuel pressure a bit. Had the sleds out on the lake this past weekend. I ran 115.8 and the 300hp tuned winders were running 120-122. 330hp winder went 125ish. These were trail sleds. The 330hp lowered "prepped"winder went wayyyy faster.

Ok I'll bite. What's your point here?

Back