• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'14 Viper SE really loose handlebars. Anyone else?

saleen347

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper RTX
My viper has developed a lot of play in the handle bars. They move a lot before the skis even move. When it's sitting you can turn the bars a few inches before there is any resistance or the skis move. Seems to be in the bottom part of steering. Anyone else had this problem?

Yes, on the right side of the sled where the tie rods go in....pull the rubber down and tighten the nut on the bottom of the steering shaft. Put a drop or two of locktite on it. This is a known Cat chassis thing, if steering gets loose check this right away.

Please report back and let us know if this was your issue.

Thanks, I'll get it on the lift tomorrow and check it out. Thanks for the quick response.

Also found a lot of play in the pivot down there. Small 10mm bolt between the a arm bolts under that rubber cover at front. Do NOT tighten it. That one just holds two big washers on. If you tighten it you are just crushing the washers. There needs to be a spacer in there like a a arm but there isn't. Plan to address this in spring.

Another area is a lot of play is steering stem block. I highly recommend the billet one. Tightening those bolts will help that short term.

Who makes the billet block? Got a link?

Mine did the same thing 3 times in 300km. It was the nut under the end of the steering column that loosened. It need a 17mm wrench. I removed the air box to access. Last time I removed it and put blue loctite on it. No problem since and did more than 700km.

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing 3 times in 300km. It was the nut loosing under the end of the steering column. 17mm wrench. I removed the air box to access. Last time I removed it and put blue loctite on it. No problem since and did more than 700km.

I have seen this also. Thought they had that fixed. Will check mine also.

Steve you have that bulletin for the 2014 Cats to check this same thing? I too had hoped they had fixed this

Good timing. After just 200miles my steering has at lease two inches of play before any movement. It even seemed to lock or bind up when at full turn. I will check the above mentioned, thanks

Yes check the bolt at bottom of steering shaft, while on a long trip last year mine started to loosen, at end of trip I had almost 6 inches of slack, made for some intense riding, make sure you put locktight on nut after you tighten.

Ok, my nut had about 4 threads left before it would've fallen off. Removed the nut, applied red locktite and reinstalled. Hope that fixes it. To gain access just remove all the push pins holding the rubber boot to the sled. Use a 17mm socket with small extension to remove nut. Thanks everyone.

Back