• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'14 Viper SE really loose handlebars. Anyone else?

Hey everyone I have movement up and down on my 14 Viper’s handlebars not ski slop per se I put a wrench on the 17 min bolt and it’s tight as can be any other

Its the ball joint.

20171202_230433png~2.jpg

On my 2015 viper xtx se. The nut was nylon 15mm. I used 15mm gear wrench with swivel head. And very small needle nose vice grips to hold the ball joint from spinning.

Was a bit fun putting lock tight on the treads. Had to brush on. Also put on treads of nut.

So as of a few months ago I noticed my steering loose again. So back 2 years ago I thought it was fixed. Now I got play again but where I tightened the bolt and lock tight. The steel bracket is broken and the aluminium one below it that this same ballpoint steering bolt issue was. Now a greater issue. Hope some 1 has a fix. I'll be reading around... just an update. Only a temporary fix. The steel is crap on these vipers.

So as of a few months ago I noticed my steering loose again. So back 2 years ago I thought it was fixed. Now I got play again but where I tightened the bolt and lock tight. The steel bracket is broken and the aluminium one below it that this same ballpoint steering bolt issue was. Now a greater issue. Hope some 1 has a fix. I'll be reading around... just an update. Only a temporary fix. The steel is crap on these vipers.
Crap! Are you a off trail rider? What sled? What style stem?Thinking the wrenching on bars does it. Dont see how it could be made stronger than the update. Disappointing to say the least.

honestly I’m beginning to just think these vipers are crap. My motor is the only thing that hasn’t caused me and major issues yet.

I've thought my steering was a little loose from the day I picked it up (bought used from a dealer, although only 100km on it). Life has kept it in the garage collecting dust so there's only 700km on it now, but my wife commented on the crap steering when she took it for a little loop around a meadow today. I tightened that 17mm nut and it was very loose. That seems to have helped. Still close to an inch of back and forth play in the handlebars before the skis start to move though. Is that "normal"? 2016 MTX 162.

I've thought my steering was a little loose from the day I picked it up (bought used from a dealer, although only 100km on it). Life has kept it in the garage collecting dust so there's only 700km on it now, but my wife commented on the crap steering when she took it for a little loop around a meadow today. I tightened that 17mm nut and it was very loose. That seems to have helped. Still close to an inch of back and forth play in the handlebars before the skis start to move though. Is that "normal"? 2016 MTX 162.
Yeah the steering design is #*$&@

Its definitely a weak design. I think only reason mine never broke is because I have that OFT steering block. It tightens things up and at least has a solid stop for the up and down play of the steering post.

Its definitely a weak design. I think only reason mine never broke is because I have that OFT steering block. It tightens things up and at least has a solid stop for the up and down play of the steering post.
OFT Steering Block;

Attachments

• IMG_3653.JPG
    IMG_3653.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_3654.JPG
    IMG_3654.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 243
Mine did the same thing 3 times in 300km. It was the nut under the end of the steering column that loosened. It need a 17mm wrench. I removed the air box to access. Last time I removed it and put blue loctite on it. No problem since and did more than 700km.
Thanks for the clear response on addressing the loose steering bolt problem. Mine did the same (bolt turning). I suspected I needed to remove the air box to gain access to the bolt head. Do you recall by removing the air box you gained access to the plastic steering block? Reason I ask is I have seen posts here to upgraded aluminum steering blocks from OFT Racing. If the steering block was accessible then I would upgrade at the same time.

At first I removed the airbox but this take too much time.
The right way to do it is to remove the right hand rubber boot at the tie rod and A-arm, so you have an easy access by the right side of the machine.

Back