• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'15 Viper RTX LE disappointment grows

Has anybody checked what rollers are in this model sled? I mean they should be the same....but......

rollers.jpg

I have just over 600 miles on my 15 LTX SE, mine will run on the trail between 86 and 90. With the highest I have seen being 93. This was all on trail hard pack. This is what I had expected. I was riding with apex's and they were seeing 100 on that same trail.

Like titanrcr said, this is a VIPER not an Apex. Far too many people expect this machine to run like an Apex because this is the only new thing to come out from Yamaha in years. Most were previous Apex owners and bought this to replace it. Man were they in for a large disappointment when it came to top end.
Lets be realistic boys, its a Nytro in Cat's clothing.....sloooowwww!
Not gonna be an Apex, not even with the turbo!

Reactions: 1tp
Like titanrcr said, this is a VIPER not an Apex. Far too many people expect this machine to run like an Apex because this is the only new thing to come out from Yamaha in years. Most were previous Apex owners and bought this to replace it. Man were they in for a large disappointment when it came to top end.
Lets be realistic boys, its a Nytro in Cat's clothing.....sloooowwww!
Not gonna be an Apex, not even with the turbo!

What Viper model do you have?

Took a couple Vipers out on tour and was disappointed with the performance. Not because it was not good, but because it did not have the performance of my Apexes, (not a bad thing)! I am very happy with the Apexes I have had and decided to purchase a newer one based on these test rides. Just love the pull of the 4 cylinder thats all. Completed some improvements on the new Apex like Ohlins mono in the rear c/w controller and a set of Ohlins on the front..WOW what a difference.
Sorry, but the new Viper is not for me. Sure wish it was though, I love the styling.

I loved my Apex motor, not the chassis. That's why I made the switch, I realized that 90% of my riding was not on lakes or power line in Northern Ontario. To me the Viper is just a better version of the Nytro.

I loved my Apex motor, not the chassis. That's why I made the switch, I realized that 90% of my riding was not on lakes or power line in Northern Ontario. To me the Viper is just a better version of the Nytro.
Agreed,however,I like to wait a few years after anyone comes out with a new model so they can shakeout the bugs. I bought my 06 Apex used, all the updates had been done. im a groomed trail/lake rider,so the chassis is fine for me.

Thanks guys. I was hoping they went to 8 tooth like the Cat XC. Either way 90-95 should still be possible and get there quick with that gearing.

O.K. bear with me a second here.......maybe I didn't pay attention in physics class (a distinct possibility but it has been a LOT of years).......in reading your comments I inferred that going to an 8 tooth driver (i.e. smaller diameter) would make the sled faster for a given gearing? That would seem (at least to my feeble old brain) to fly in the face of logic.........to wit: if the chaincase gearing stays the same, then there are less driver teeth engaging the track for a given number of revolutions of the driveshaft........hence slower track speed, not faster..........so what am I missing?

How much top end do we expect out of a 130hp sled? How fast do you think a lighter well tuned 155hp 2 stroke goes? Some guys are just expecting too much out of these Vipers.
This ^^^^!
I'm coming off a 2013 Cat 800rr. A 165hp stroke revving monster! A sled that weighed 35-40lbs less than this Viper. My Cat would spank this Viper, but I knew that going in. A 130hp sled that weighs more can't beat a 165hp sled. But I love my Viper xtx! It's everything I was looking for in a sled, save the shocks, they are getting replaced w Evols this off season.
Also I thought the whole "they have to break in before it comes alive" was bull! Well its true! My sled would just get to a top speed of about 75mph in a 1/4 mile. Now, it'll hit about 88, & about rip your arms off getting there! (360odo)
If I wanted more top speed, (I don't) I would: clutch, & regear it.
Good luck.
Zamp

Not gonna be an Apex, not even with the turbo![/QUOTE]

Idk about that I have a 260hp apex I don't think it could keep up with the 270hp viper and my back feels way better on the viper

O.K. bear with me a second here.......maybe I didn't pay attention in physics class (a distinct possibility but it has been a LOT of years).......in reading your comments I inferred that going to an 8 tooth driver (i.e. smaller diameter) would make the sled faster for a given gearing? That would seem (at least to my feeble old brain) to fly in the face of logic.........to wit: if the chaincase gearing stays the same, then there are less driver teeth engaging the track for a given number of revolutions of the driveshaft........hence slower track speed, not faster..........so what am I missing?

Smaller drive sprocket (less teeth) using the same track pitch = slower top speed. Larger drive sprocket (more teeth) using the same track pitch = faster top speed.

If you changed your 9 tooth 2.86 pitch drivers (what the RTX & LTX models come with) to 8 tooth, you will lose top end speed.

Back