• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex, Massive Oil Leak

Hi,
Be careful with The E-Bay oil tank from CFM.. I was the original person to send in the Yamaha tank to CFM and he is using my pictures on E-Bay from My yamaha Venture 4-stroke.. I told the CFM guys I was having problems with oil blowing back into the air box.. They never replied to my E-mails after a while.. They kept my old tank and charged me 100 bucks for the new one.. I measured the volume at full with the dip stick on a CFM tank and you can add another liter of oil to an OEM tank.. So there is not enough volume in the CFM tank compared to the OEM tank... I am currently using an OEM used dented tank from EBAY and still have the original CFM tank that I am not using .. I made a rubber bottom mount out of heater hose where the tanks always crack, its been holding for 3 years so far about 1500 miles.. I still get some oil in the air box but not as much as the CFM tank.. If you use the CFM tank it works better filled to the low line.. Yamaha should be paying for all these cracked tanks.. i spun a bearing getting mine out of the woods... it ran low on oil 5x getting it back to the trailer... Yamaha needs a class action and CFM needs to learn how to measure volume.. I gave them the Idea for the tank that fits multiple applications.. They could not even respond to my e-mail to fix my issue !!!!
Also the air box drain line routing can be an issue that can be checked.. it has to go under the frame tubing.. otherwise it will not drain if over the frame tube...

Can you post a picture of your tank? My CFM tank actually holds more than the stock one did.

20170117_085021.jpg
I got sick of cracking stock tanks on my Turbo Attak, more pronounced because I am running solid motor mounts...
Switched to the CFM tank (purchased from their website not Ebay), fit perfect and have had no oil pushing from my crankcase breather with 16 lbs of boost. I did not particularly pay attention to how much additional oil the CFM tank has, if any... If it does, it's not much more and is not adversely affecting any flow of any sort.

Regardless, I'd actually rather have added volume, as it will dissipate the heat more. You don't see big HP race engines running a stock volume oil sump / pan ??? No, they always have a bigger reservoir volume.

I will never run a stock oil tank ever again, CFM tanks from now on. I'm glad they make it.
The only issue was I did have to modify the sealing of the oil pickup flange, eliminated the as-supplied weepy squishy rubber gasket and went with an o-ring like OEM.

Last edited:
Here is my 07 Venture sled picture.. Its still on Ebay I sent him the picture for making the first one... mine was the prototype so i hope they are larger now ?? Its the last picture on the ebay post.
Has anyone else had any issues with extra oil in the air box on a CFM oil tank ?? It wont happen on short runs.. I'm taking about a 250-300 mile weekend.. Then I have to add oil.. With the OEM I just did a 300 mile weekend and did not have to add oil... But it did drip some on the ground..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Ape...ash=item59056b7a44:g:eMwAAOxy5jxSdQQg&vxp=mtr

Last edited:
I am curious on the mysterious leak as well. Last year just sitting in my garage idling after a check up my SC sled puked out 1-2 qts of oil, I looked and looked for leaks and never found anything. Then it warmed up and I actually bought my impulse turbo apex. I have no idea what happened to the SC sled. Its now my parts sled but I may rebuild it into a more subtle sled for my wife (if she ever wants to ride). The MPI kit uses a tank that is 0.5 qts less then stock. Never a issue in the years previous. It was strange as I don't have a air box and I didn't even see the source for the leak! I was going to replace the bottom hose that connects the oil tank to the motor but that would require a motor pull and the impulse came up and made more sense for me to convert to that.

View attachment 136640 I got sick of cracking stock tanks on my Turbo Attak, more pronounced because I am running solid motor mounts...
Switched to the CFM tank (purchased from their website not Ebay), fit perfect and have had no oil pushing from my crankcase breather with 16 lbs of boost. I did not particularly pay attention to how much additional oil the CFM tank has, if any... If it does, it's not much more and is not adversely affecting any flow of any sort.

Regardless, I'd actually rather have added volume, as it will dissipate the heat more. You don't see big HP race engines running a stock volume oil sump / pan ??? No, they always have a bigger reservoir volume.

I will never run a stock oil tank ever again, CFM tanks from now on. I'm glad they make it.
The only issue was I did have to modify the sealing of the oil pickup flange, eliminated the as-supplied weepy squishy rubber gasket and went with an o-ring like OEM.
Did you get the o ring recess machined, or just stick one in there? Mines been on for years...holds the same as the original, based on oil changes, but the threaded holes actually are open onto the tank and my seepage was from them, along with the crappy gasket supplied. I sealed it all with pc7 epoxy since the screen was clean after all those ears (06 rtx) and the hose can be removed from the bottom if needed.
I also sealed the leaky seam on the original tank with pc7, put it back on, and ran it for a while....never leaked again. The cfm tank is on now.

SumpBuster,
I just machined a taper on the oil pickup boss port with a countersink chamfer bit on a cordless drill, enough to capture and sufficiently compress the o-ring with the pickup flange sitting flush on the boss... simply worked perfect.
I have had no leakage from around the studs. I recall that they are not thru-holes on mine. If they did weep, removing the studs and putting a little Loctite on the threads would solve that.

Attachments

• 20170211_102543.jpg
    20170211_102543.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
SumpBuster,
I just machined a taper on the oil pickup boss port with a countersink chamfer bit on a cordless drill, enough to capture and sufficiently compress the o-ring with the pickup flange sitting flush on the boss... simply worked perfect.
I have had no leakage from around the studs. I recall that they are not thru-holes on mine. If they did weep, removing the studs and putting a little Loctite on the threads would solve that.
Good idea with the chamfer!!

Can’t keep CFM tank from leaking at the bottom hose flange which has no o-ring. In the trash it goes.
Are you trashing the tank? if so PM me, I will buy it off you...

I recall two different variations of the oem tank. Some had groove for o ring machined into the bottom of tank and others had groove in the hose fitting that bolted to bottom of tank. Never really was able to pinpoint which sleds/years had which style.

Thats interesting Travis, that would suggest being able to get the hose fitting with the groove might solve this problem. My sled in question is my 07 Attak GT. Tank you sent me still in box. Need the Attak for next trip in 2 weeks.

Travis and Jack,
From what I can dig up the older RX1's had an oil pickup with the recessed o-ring groove in the steel flange instead of the oil tank boss like the newer sleds, but it did not have a pickup screen tube. That older flange was 8FA-13406-00-00 which is no longer available new as has since been superseded by 8FG-13406-00-00 with the screen and no oil ring groove, like what our Apex's have now. If CFM made the original tank by an old RX1 design could be the reason there is no o-ring groove?
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Back