• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex skid upgrade

rx1 is king

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Yamaha rx1
Hey there everyone looking for some advice and help.
I’m currently riding a 2011 apex 128 and have had it couple seasons now after originally having a Rx1.

Would really like to swap skids out with something that will handle trails better and get rid of the skid.
Have looked around a lot on what to upgrade to but not finding what I’m looking for.

Would like to swap in something that I don’t have to change any mounting if possible or otherwise nothing to difficult.

Thanks any advise or thoughts let me know !

Any other skid is going to require moving the mounting points around. What shock do you have under that Ape? I’ve had great success running dual rate springs with appropriate shock valving to match. The Mono can be a great trial skid when set up properly, and the updated front arms don’t break like the originals either.

Hey man what kind of riding do you do? I have the same machine and weigh about 220. Raced motocross for years so I understand suspension.
After a revalve(with stock spring) from Frank @ Shocktec (Ontario) I can honestly push this thing through most trail junk. Yes it will bottom over a g-out or 3 foot bump but ALL suspensions should be set to bottom. If not you are not using your travel completely.
I honestly am impressed with how this thing rides as it really soakes up the smaller stuff. My only observation is that it IS better when cold versus after riding a while. I believe the shock heats up and is not quite as firm. This tells me it could be valved just a hair stiffer next time.

Now without a revalve.... My 07 apex GT was utterly pathetic. Whoever specced it from Yamaha should have been fired in the spot! Fyi, I did not ride this 2013 stock. Bought used and had the rebuild/revalve done right away.
My shock is the standard KYB.

Hope this helps.

I have a 2011 Apex and bought the shock/ spring combo from Hygear. I'm at 350 so the stock stuff didn't work at all. Still tweaking transfer rod adjustment but I'm really happy with it. Well worth the money I think.

I have a 2011 Apex and bought the shock/ spring combo from Hygear. I'm at 350 so the stock stuff didn't work at all. Still tweaking transfer rod adjustment but I'm really happy with it. Well worth the money I think.

That's awesome! Coming from motocross.....NO ONE that races competetively leaves there stuff stock.
Cheers!

That's awesome! Coming from motocross.....NO ONE that races competetively leaves there stuff stock.
Cheers!
I didn't have a clue about changing or adjusting stuff but I love to tinker and after finding this site I'm not too scared to tackle alot of the maintenance and changing things on my sled to make it fit me.

Back