• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Yamaha's

studdog said:
It's clear Yamaha left hands the sled business. They have the resources to kill the other OEM's. Let's face it the market is just not big enough to warrant the investment.

It's big enough for Ski Doo and Cat to diverisfy and consistantly provide various packages to accommodate costumer needs. Yamaha was gaining market share until last year. From what I see now, they are in a downward spiral simply beacused they priced themselves out of the market with the new Apex models. Not only that, Yamaha neglects to address handling, suspension and weight issues we discussed for years on this site prior to release of new models. Simply pickup any magazine in the news stand read a review for any Yamaha snowmobile model and see what the cons are. Then dig out an issue from 8 years ago and compare the reviews... :o| :o| :o|

Doo and Cat have there share of problems. I'll only mention one of each.Doo clutch sheeves wearing gruves from their sled lightening program. Cat recall of all Z1 sleds for cracks in A arms. IMO the sled business suffers the same sin of the North American car biz, Too many models, Too little quality. I won't even mention the junk from Polaris. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

studdog said:
Doo and Cat have there share of problems. I'll only mention one of each.Doo clutch sheeves wearing gruves from their sled lightening program. Cat recall of all Z1 sleds for cracks in A arms. IMO the sled business suffers the same sin of the North American car biz, Too many models, Too little quality. I won't even mention the junk from Polaris. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Ever look at a Nytro clutch....the primary get grooves due to terrible belt slip...clutching is a must!

I almost hate to admit it but im considering buying something other than a yami for my next sled...all i have ever owned is yamaha...motorcycles/wave runners/atvs...hmmmm...guess we will see...

shaddow44 said:
studdog said:

Ever look at a Nytro clutch....the primary get grooves due to terrible belt slip...clutching is a must!

X2

Any Yamaha primary clutch can be found with belt groove due to the hard 8DN belt design this is considered normal and occurs on sleds with only several hundred miles.

studdog said:
I 'm on my 9th Yamaha, running 4000 miles per year and have never seen a grooved primary.

Open your eyes..

Yamaha's have some of the best clutches going. I've had 3 SRX's, a 500 phazer and an Apex. Not one has a grooved primary. My 98 SRX had 16,000 kms on the original clutch.

jaydaniels said:
Yamaha's have some of the best clutches going. I've had 3 SRX's, a 500 phazer and an Apex. Not one has a grooved primary. My 98 SRX had 16,000 kms on the original clutch.

Maybe it's a Nytro thing...I know I'm not the only one...and it was pointed out to me by another Nytro owner. I never noticed it on my SRX, but it grabbed the belt very well...my Nytro slipped it bad...now that the DNF's are in it grabs like it should, but none the less, it's grooved.

My Vector grooved the primary bad enough I bought a Apex clutch and only the use the grooved one as a backup now.

BADSLED said:
studdog said:
It's clear Yamaha left hands the sled business. They have the resources to kill the other OEM's. Let's face it the market is just not big enough to warrant the investment.

From what I see now, they are in a downward spiral simply beacused they priced themselves out of the market with the new Apex models.

pat's yamaha in greenland sold all 20 of their apex xtx's - he had 2 standard and 2 se's left. they said if they were xtx's he would be sold out. thats just one dealer! so....apex's seem to be selling just fine

Pat's in Greenland is an awesome dealer!! If i was going to buy a brand new sled thats where I would go...and I'm from Northern Iowa.

Back