• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Yamaha's

The phazer has a has alot of steel used in its construction as a cost saving. Without that it would be significantly lighter and more expensive.

srx700lt said:
A two cylinder Nytro engine in the Phazer maybe? That would be a 700 without gear reduction.
I still think the Phazer is a fun sled but it shouldn’t be so heavy.
If I remember correctly the Phazer weight 560 fully fueled and my Nytro XTX is 600. Those numbers tells me that it should be possible to shed some weight from the Phazer by going to a two cylinder engine without gear reduction and remove the electric reverse. Some other areas where weigth is removed should also be possible.

I made that prediction a few years ago but it hasn't happened yet. A 700 twin that makes 95hp is about what it would be. I'm not to sure about that one though, I think I'd rather have my 80hp Phazer over a 95hp Nytro. I JUST don't like how the Nytro handles and rides compared to the Phazer, the Phazer is WAY more "flickable" to me while riding and I'm not a super light weight at 6'0" 190#. Put the Nytro "twin" in a Phazer chassis with a bit better front end geometry and a 9 gallon fuel tank and THAT'S the sled I'd buy.

Also, lets go against the grain. Build a lighter weight, TRAILING ARM, Trail cruiser with the same 95hp "Nytro Twin". I still think that for groomed trail riding the trailing arm chassis is a better chassis.

Attachments

• 11MS_SprTen_blu_S1_d4b5723f.jpg
    11MS_SprTen_blu_S1_d4b5723f.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 129
Fewer cylinders do not as a rule decrease weight for the power produced. A gear reduction torque multiplier allows for greater power from a lighter engine on a snowmobile which has a narrow output shaft speed range. The Nytro engine is nearly the same weight as the Apex with less torque and durability. The Apex engine is much more optimized for snowmobile use than the triple. The midrange sled should be getting a four cylinder based on the R6 motorcycle.

PureBlue said:
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/651/0/specs.aspx Maybe Yamaha should put this motor in the nytro

I think that motor should be in a Phazer type of chassis.

4x4 said:
Fewer cylinders do not as a rule decrease weight for the power produced. A gear reduction torque multiplier allows for greater power from a lighter engine on a snowmobile which has a narrow output shaft speed range. The Nytro engine is nearly the same weight as the Apex with less torque and durability. The Apex engine is much more optimized for snowmobile use than the triple. The midrange sled should be getting a four cylinder based on the R6 motorcycle.

The Apex engine is based off of the proven R1 engine in the rockets, or am I wrong?. The R6 engine will be very close to the same weight as the R1 engine. And I thought the triple was designed for snowmobiles? The triple is plenty durable for sledding. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this so I know the history.

The direct drive triple needs much higher internal pressures due to the rpm being optimized to the belt drive, rather than to the engine itself. The low rpm combined with the fewer cylinders results in a much lower number of firing strokes for the same power level. The bike engines are in a very competitive high volume market, and as a result have been developed to a higher level than a snowmobile specific engine has been.

Yamaha's 3-cylinder (nytro/vector) is a motorcycle engine from its history/development just like the 4-banger. The 3-cylinder is based on the FJ 1300 motocycle engine.
The super tenere twin is very interesting. 110hp, 80+lbs/feet torque and an internal oil tank (not an external one like our sleds). The bike is 575lbs wet but uses a steel chassis and has lots of features not needed on sleds like ABS. I've been looking all over the web for a motor weight for this twin but can't find anything.

If the rumors are true and Yamaha stops building sleds soon, then there's no way they will come out with anything to outdoo the competitions sleds. Frankly with already being behind, if they are going to give up on sleds then we've all seen the best they got. I don't ever want to see them give up but kinda get the feeling it may be true.. sucks

Maxout01 said:
If the rumors are true and Yamaha stops building sleds soon, then there's no way they will come out with anything to outdoo the competitions sleds. Frankly with already being behind, if they are going to give up on sleds then we've all seen the best they got. I don't ever want to see them give up but kinda get the feeling it may be true.. sucks

Yamaha has plenty of money to keep it going for awhile yet. No other Oem comes close to Yam quality. Many more 2s converts coming over to 4s at least they say so on other websites after many 2s burndowns over this cold weekend. Everytime a 2s burns down it is hello Yamaha. Yamaha ready to harvest discouraged 2s owners ...I know that is what brought me here & I'm never going back to 2s.

whitedust1 said:
Maxout01 said:

Yamaha has plenty of money to keep it going for awhile yet. No other Oem comes close to Yam quality. Many more 2s converts coming over to 4s at least they say so on other websites after many 2s burndowns over this cold weekend. Everytime a 2s burns down it is hello Yamaha. Yamaha ready to harvest discouraged 2s owners ...I know that is what brought me here & I'm never going back to 2s.

Your theories would be great arguments EXCEPT Yamaha is not the only 4stroke choice. So just because people want a 4stroke does not mean they will buy Yamaha. Skidoo will have just as many 4stroke motors as Yamaha within the next season, and already has two that people love, in fact it seems more and more leave blue for yellow with the 1200 doos got. And both the other two have some choices in the 4stroke motor category. This isn't 2003 anymore.
And as for Yamaha having money to keep sleds going, no kidding they have the money but that doesn't mean they want to keep building sleds either.

The Apex has more torque than the Nytro from idle to full power, and the power to weight of the installed Apex engine appears to be better, although engine weights that specify installed accesories are tough to find.

7 skulls said:
Yamaha's 3-cylinder (nytro/vector) is a motorcycle engine from its history/development just like the 4-banger. The 3-cylinder is based on the FJ 1300 motocycle engine.
The super tenere twin is very interesting. 110hp, 80+lbs/feet torque and an internal oil tank (not an external one like our sleds). The bike is 575lbs wet but uses a steel chassis and has lots of features not needed on sleds like ABS. I've been looking all over the web for a motor weight for this twin but can't find anything.
The external oil tanks are good because the sleds don't always run right side up. You need a dry sump system to provide oil in these circumstances. Also, removing the wet sump oil tank at the bottom of the engine allows you to lower the engine in the chassis.

Just some thoughts.

Also, I think motorcycles have bank angle sensors that kill the motor if the bike is laid down while running.

7 Skulls, the FJ1300 is a four cylinder engine. Regardless cruiser motorcycles seldom use lightweight high performance engines.

Back