• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

bottlerocket said:
adubs916 said:
tapp1 said:
Something from The Rider Scope Facebook page...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/TheRider ... 7184179052

After reading that, it is most definetly a new Direct Injected motor, but it's got to be a 4-stroke. It makes no sense at all to develope a new 2-stroke.

Why does it make no sense? Back in 2003 did you think Ski Doo could achieve what they have as far as milage/power from a 2 stroke? Yamaha could save a bunch of weight going back to 2 strokes with new technology!

I actually would not mind a 2-stroke engine choice for a lightweight ditch sled but Yamaha as a company would look seriously hypocritical after pushing the benefits of 4-stroke engine tech for the past 10 years... Don't see it happening but you never know.

bottlerocket said:
adubs916 said:
tapp1 said:

After reading that, it is most definetly a new Direct Injected motor, but it's got to be a 4-stroke. It makes no sense at all to develope a new 2-stroke.

Why does it make no sense? Back in 2003 did you think Ski Doo could achieve what they have as far as milage/power from a 2 stroke? Yamaha could save a bunch of weight going back to 2 strokes with new technology!

Not if they use their HPDI system...it adds HUGE weight to the V6 outboard and robs horsepower. It does the same job as an ETEC but it's not the same system....AND Yamaha is a 4-stroke engine company.

The way I see the Cat deal is IF they are working with Cat it'll be patent sharing...end of story.

bottlerocket said:
adubs916 said:
tapp1 said:

True BRP did come a long ways on their 2-stroke, but at the end of the day it's still a disposable engine. I know the engine in my Nytro is heavier, but I also know it's a premium engine that can be ran hard mile after mile year after year with only an oil change every so often. There are a group of people who benefit from a 2-stoke I don't doubt that, but there would be a lot of upset people if Yamaha stopped development on their excellent 4-strokes.

shadow637 said:
bottlerocket said:
adubs916 said:
tapp1 said:

I actually would not mind a 2-stroke engine choice for a lightweight ditch sled but Yamaha as a company would look seriously hypocritical after pushing the benefits of 4-stroke engine tech for the past 10 years... Don't see it happening but you never know.

You know what though, I'd rather see Yamaha go 2-stroke if they have a great design for it. When they converted to 4 stroke, the direct inject 2 stroke was not coming of age yet. I'm sure many thought it might not ever. 4 stroke was the path to fuel effeciency and meeting the tree hugger regulations at that time. And Yamaha went all in on it. Good for them.

But the thing is...technology changes. Technology improves. And...when it comes to true performance and "fun factor" on sleds...the 4 stroke has failed compared to 2 strokes. I know this is a 4 stroke site...and 4 strokes have many, many benefits. However, the true measure of success is sales...and Yamaha has failed in this area compared to the others.

So...bottom line...is that if Yamaha launches a new DI 2-stroke...I say GOOD FOR THEM! Doesn't mean that all their 4 strokes are junk...doesn't mean they are abandoning the 4 strokes. It just means a lighter sled that hopefully can compete in the fun factor arena with the others.

104 pages. Holy. It's pretty interesting hearing everybody's ideas. There hasn't been any trash talk either. Just pointed at yamaha and they haven't even let us down yet. Where's the leak. Anybody?

ccrider said:
...when it comes to true performance and "fun factor" on sleds...the 4 stroke has failed compared to 2 strokes.

That is highly subjective, and I think you will find many here who disagree with you.

DigitalFusion said:
ccrider said:
...when it comes to true performance and "fun factor" on sleds...the 4 stroke has failed compared to 2 strokes.

That is highly subjective, and I think you will find many here who disagree with you.

Yup...by far the most fun sled I've had has been my Apex. I even thought about this thread during my 300+km ride yesterday....I rode through every kind of condition and the sled does really well in most. At some point you have to be a rider and can't expect the sled to do everything for you. I had a HUGE grin when pulling big numbers on the rail line and lakes...or wheelieing over crests...or railing through the corners (on one ski sometimes...and on two sometimes...no big deal). I'm not a new sled buyer so it doesn't really matter much to me what they make...but I REALLY like my Apex...and it CRUSHES e-tecs on the lake :).

DoktorC said:
DigitalFusion said:
ccrider said:

Yup...by far the most fun sled I've had has been my Apex. I even thought about this thread during my 300+km ride yesterday....I rode through every kind of condition and the sled does really well in most. At some point you have to be a rider and can't expect the sled to do everything for you. I had a HUGE grin when pulling big numbers on the rail line and lakes...or wheelieing over crests...or railing through the corners (on one ski sometimes...and on two sometimes...no big deal). I'm not a new sled buyer so it doesn't really matter much to me what they make...but I REALLY like my Apex...and it CRUSHES e-tecs on the lake :).

I really could just cc that because it's my thoughts exactly, however..

I ride with guys on Bomb, Poo and Cat both brand new and old and we like to swap sleds just to change it up a bit. Unless we're in the mountains, I have one hell of a time getting my sled back!! My buddies, who all hack on Yamatanks, also reluctantly step off of my Apex with a #*$&@ eating grin and saying things like, "ohhh.. that motor!! I love that motor!! what a fun sled to ride!!".. so yeah, I think 'Fun' is a pretty subjective description for snowmobiles.
p.s. I rode a good friends MPI stage II SC Apex this weekend. Now I'm gonna have to spend the 7 grand to get into one!! lol 260 horse makes weight insignificant.

A truck load of dissapointment im afraid...
But i hope im wrong.

DeepFrz said:
857745_539024509463004_1167498673_o.jpg

Yamaha's FB page posted this picture tonight. They sure love seeing us squirm! I hope one of the hotel workers is a Yammi fan and sneaks a pic for us!

ugh... every time someone quotes that insanely huge picture it screws up the page layout and I have to scroll back and forth horizontally to read everything, and Im running a 1680x1050 screen rez! I really feel bad for anyone on anything lower than that!

Back