• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

I worked for (Gardenway )Troybilt before it was purchased by MTD. We built alot of products for other OEMs. All had to build to their Quality, engineering and design specs per contract agreements. No pass. no sell. So if some Yamahas are built here it will be to Yamaha specifications. :yam:

AKrider said:
The original Phazer was pretty revolutionary. It's was the complete opposite of the sleds they sell currently. The Phazer was light weight, good handling and floated on the snow. That's the type of sleds the other three OEM's currently make.

I don't see them being able to replicate that again with a 4-stroke motor. If they do they will have something very special and I'd buy one.

Phazer II
As reviewed by Popular Mechanics, the 1990 Phazer II has a 485-cc Yamaha Twin engine capable of 53 horsepower and can travel at 80 to 85 miles per hour. It features T.S.S. (telescoping strut suspension), similar to a motorcycle fork, to reduce drag. It is 103.5 inches long, 32 inches wide and weighs 406 pounds. The track length is 6 feet 6 inches and it is 15 inches wide. The Phazer II can carry 8.2 gallons of fuel. Its original price was $4,549.

406 pounds for a 485 cc fan cooled sled putting out 50 to 55 hp with limited suspension travel! Had a couple of them for beaters ... knees in your chest, hard on the back, smelly - were fairly quick though and 485 fan was considered a big sled in that period - sorry but my vote is for the new style phazer .... no comparison! Ergos depend on riding style / terrain .and a 485 fan sled is now considered to be "entry level" and way smaller than 600 / 800 cc liquid cooled 2 S or most 4 S which are 1000cc + (except phazer and ACE).

where

Heritage said:
This here:
MainImage_00000627_zps1b459ce3.jpg

Where did you get that??

"industry first" I like the sound of that but I cant figure out what it could be... Theres been turbos, belt drives, carbon fiber, new bonding methods, etc.. I dont think it would be launch control unless its a real race oriented sled.

pat the rat said:
It might be that articulating chassis that yamaha as patented,swaying in corners,that would be a first
Saw this patent way back in 2009 for the lean control type sled.The snake connection may have meaning in this sense but i think it has to do with the name(SRViper/SRVenom).Found a patent by yamaha a few months ago refering to a system which would disengage the motor from the tranny whenever the machine was in the air(jumping)The IP description refered to dirtbikes,ATVs,and snowmobiles.

Di 700 triple 2 stroke with four stroke bottom end viper. Industry first di triple. Cat uses the same tech but on there bottom ends and makes hand grenades after 1500 miles. Just a guess.

Heritage said:
This here:
MainImage_00000627_zps1b459ce3.jpg

Industry first? They are probably just referring to bolting their engine into a competitors chassis. It would be nice if they would at least give it unique plastic panels and use the bulletproof Yamaha drive system, but I would assume that just doing a simple badge job will save a lot of money. Although Yamaha clutching might be used my guess is they are not going to spend the time or money trying to adapt a Yamaha drive system to the ProCross chassis.

Now how do I know all of this is going to happen? Well I don't, however it is the same rumor over and over and no one has came out and disputed it. Even Chris Reid hasn't. He said that no company shares changed hands, but he didn't do anything to stop the rumor Yamaha is in the process of quitting in-house snowmobile production.

DGZRT said:
My dealer told me three things and he said don't hold me to any of them.

Get rid of all your Nytro's you won't be able to sell them when the new Iron comes out.

One sled will be 100 hp
One sled will be 190 hp

I can't wait to have something new to check out.

DGZRT

If your dealer told you not to hold him to any of them that means he doesn't know what is going to happen. As far as not being able to sell my Nytro after the new iron comes out... Well I just bought it so I'm not replacing it for several years no matter what comes out. If we get re-badged ProCrosses the Nytro will hold it's re-sale value just fine. Not everyone wants to replace drive belts every 500 miles (or less) or deal with Cat's lack of QC when it comes to their products.

Back