• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

cat hunter said:
This is my first post on this subject.You guys have way to much time on your hands.Do you all have no snow??? LOL :sled1:

Ya pretty much not enough snow

jtssrx said:
yamaha1973 said:
jtssrx said:
7 skulls said:
Chris Reid has stated on the blog: The blue is true for 2014.
No cross contamination from cat.

lol you are wrong?

The industry first is a cross bread Yamaha motor in a cat chassis

Please enlighten us on how you know this is fact?

In 2002 I was one of the guys that thought Yamaha wasn't going four stroke. I was told be many people and refused to believe it. The same people have told me about this yamacat. It's real and in about 5 days you are all going to see it. I just pray Yamaha took cats chassis only and put there drive line and plastics on it. Otherwise it's going to be a total disaster.

I owned a procross. It's the biggest pile of junk out side of the motor suspention and chassis. The fit and finish is terrible. and quality of componants is brutal. The three things yamaha does right are motor, drive line and fit and finish. If Yamaha improved those areas of the procross you would have one badazz sled.

The ProCross is fine as a chassis and probably wouldn't be a bad starting point for a new sled, but I agree that the sled needs to be a real Yamaha or it will be a total flop. Having another company build a re-badged 120 kids sled is one thing (although they should at least make a unique hood for it) but doing the same with your flagship full size models won't work. If they use their own engine, drive system, and components along with unique plastics and then build it in the Yamaha factory it could be very successful.

I'm still hoping that all this YamaCat talk is only about sharing tech, not actually buying manufactured sleds that are painted blue with a Yamaha engine dropped into them. Think about why most of us buy Yamahas? Believe me if we didn't care about fit and finish, quality build, reliability and longevity we probably would just go with another brand. Yamaha has always had one of the best reputations when it comes to quality, however AC has always had one of the worse. I know this as a former Cat owner that owned many of them. The sleds had hoods and bumpers that didn't even match-up from the factory. I even had a couple with bolts not tightened and were missing things after I got them home and looked them over. I'd like to think all of that has changed, but after reading many many postings on other boards about the new ProCrosses it appears it hasn't. Yamaha has always been criticized for over engineering the smallest things, however Arctic Cat seems to under engineer even the most major components like actual clutch and drive systems.

Daranello said:
no way.....no ABS...why would i want longer stopping distances, traction control yes...abs no

Abs has proven shorter stopping distances and more controlled steering under braking. The engine braking that we have on a 4 stroke is great, the track lock up during braking is absolutlely annoying. Now traction control would be a complete PITA, with it kicking in during every hard accelleration.

Mtn

Well, if it's a horizontal plane articulating frame then with today's mountain riding techniques I don't see it translating to a successful mountain sled. At all.

It will be interesting to see where yamaha put their money. The RMK Pro is the best selling sled in NA. In any segment. MTN sleds now account for 30% of all sled sales. Crossovers is the fastest growing segment. The next thing crossover guys want is...the real deal, a Mtn sled.

Western dealers are going to be in a tight spot if this is a flat lander only and they are stuck with MTX's for another year.

Mtn

Well, if it's a horizontal plane articulating frame then with today's mountain riding techniques I don't see it translating to a successful mountain sled. At all.

It will be interesting to see where yamaha put their money. The RMK Pro is the best selling sled in NA. In any segment. MTN sleds now account for 30% of all sled sales. Crossovers is the fastest growing segment. The next thing crossover guys want is...the real deal, a Mtn sled.

Western dealers are going to be in a tight spot if this is a flat lander only and they are stuck with MTX's for another year.

for there to be traction control on a sled, it would need to have a computer controlled clutch. Most traction controls that I know of use the braking system and or trans braking to load drive as the wheel or track speed increases past ground speed by a certain percentage. This being applied to a normal cvt clutch, it would cause it to down shift fast, then when traction was achieved, it would release and cause clutches to be in too high a gear, then needing to down shift again. The timing of the traction control events I would think to be too fast for a cvt to react. If they would go to a computer controlled cvt, like the http://www.pivario.com/?p=1 it could be programed to anticipate the traction control system and react correctly.

I really think we can get this over 100 pages if we try.

Not sure what is coming is going to be anything earth shattering. It took them about a dozen tries to come out with a good ski, about 10 years to come out with a suspension that rode as good as a 97polaris.

They are first and formost, concerned with engines, nothing else and it shows in the year after year complaints on this site and from my customers. Great engine and I and others will put up with and change all the rest to make it what it should be.

scott32 said:
Daranello said:
no way.....no ABS...why would i want longer stopping distances, traction control yes...abs no

Abs has proven shorter stopping distances and more controlled steering under braking. The engine braking that we have on a 4 stroke is great, the track lock up during braking is absolutlely annoying. Now traction control would be a complete PITA, with it kicking in during every hard accelleration.

it is proven that ABS does NOT provide shorter stopping distances, especially in an off-road type situation

in this example the bike stopped 20ft or 20% shorter withOUT ABS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JhenlQlWuA

I think the issue with abs and off road stopping is the event time combined with fast changing gripping surfaces. If it was tested on a constant that it was designed for, like, just sand, or just packed dirt, it could maybe work better. Cars driving on pavement is a decent constant. This issue shows up if you have ever tried to stop an abs car on mixed icy surface. it can just not react fast enough for the changes.

Heritage said:
Yep....I saw this too....and it's at several other snowmobile websites....looks like the viper rumors are true!!!

:Rockon:

Don't forget the Venom too.

Back