• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 sr viper stx dx engine oil leak

Every time I have the dealer do the oil change I have oil leaking out of airbox because they put 4 quarts in. I only put 3.5 quarts and it doesn’t leak then

Let me clarify. Brought sled in initially because the chain case was leaking. What is key to note is that the oil leak was evident on the right side of the machine right near the muffler port. Two indicators. 1. Chain case oil less than 1/2 in the site glass by the fight foot well. 2. After removing the muffler and throughly cleaning the area I could see oil seepage by two of the lower chain case screws. Originally tried to check screw torque but did not solve issue. Brought in to dealer to have chain case serviced and problem solved.

While the machine was at dealership I had them change the oil as they would have the machine apart anyway. Oil change was completed and I picked up the sled. After riding for a day I parked the sled in the garage and the following morning I saw an oil slick 16-18” in diameter on the floor. Key here was the oil slick was directly under the front of the machine and not by the muffler port.
I disassembled the machine including removing the muffler and checked the chain case for leaks. None present. Checked the hoses and claps to the oil separator - no leaks. Further investigating I puller off the oil filer belly cover and checked oil filter and drain plug for leaks, none found. Lastly checked the oil reservoir and engine oil drain plugs for leaks and none found.

I did not check the air box for oil.

After throughly cleaning every part to remove the oil I started the machine and followed the Yamaha procedure to check the engine oil level. ( who came up with this procedure ) and realized the oil level was above the MAX line by a 1/2 inch. Suspecting the oil level was overfilled at the last service I removed enough oil to bring the level to normal.

Rode again and the same thing the next morning ..... more oil on the floor. Oil at the front of the machine Back to the dealer and they inspected, cleaned machine and air box this time. Checked oil level. No problem found.

Picked up machine rode and again (200 miles) and a oil slick in front of machine. Machine is back at the dealer once more.

Question for the forum, once the oil is overfilled in these machines is it possible the “engine” is overfilled and the only way to correct would be to drain the engines oil and perform the oil change again.

Secondly, what is the function of the oil separator..... in English and not paper or tech bulletin from Yamaha

Mine leaked till it was on the bottom of the range on the dipstick, and then it stopped. Of course this is after cleaning the whole underside of sled

All, thanks for your insights. Pleased to say the dealer has rectified the issue. Word of caution be careful when doing oil service on the machine and overfilling. Once the engine gets overfilled it will expel the excess oil into the air box which will then drain onto your floor. Draining the engine oil via the oil drain plug next to the oil filter will resolve a overfill situation

Back