• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 SRX Sidewinder

Maybe the dealer left some oil residue on the case or pan. I would clean it all off and see where it returns.

I'm doing a 2020 GT also today in the shop, all stock machine developed a slow leak.

Guess I'm of the opinion that a groove that held an 0-ring would be superior.
100% agree on that. Or a groove that the sealant sits in.
Toyota used to do this, groove the sealing are and fill with RTV, and had no issues with leaks. Once they started to put flat surface together it all went south

100% agree on that. Or a groove that the sealant sits in.
Toyota used to do this, groove the sealing are and fill with RTV, and had no issues with leaks. Once they started to put flat surface together it all went south
Stain, you a toyota guy? I have been a sales mgr at one for 27 years so know all about em lol

My 18 sidewinder was definately first shift! its been dry and then a few weeks ago, oil on the floor. What happened? I believe I did it...I lightly checked to make sure all bolts were tight, including the oil tank torx....a few days later,oil seepage..lmao! I have the BOP gasket but havent got to it yet. They will probably all seep at some point. But DONT touch the screws if it aint leakin!!!

Design is OK. All auto manufactures use the same design on a pile of sealing surfaces. You wont believe how few real gaskets are in todays engines
It's the execution of the sealant application that's the problem. I have seen the same problem in the auto world. The sealant is not applied properly and it leaks.
if it was done correctly to start with, the problem would be non existent.
Cat chain cases aren't the only RTV seals that leak. Go look at a front cover on a Toyota Tacoma. Now that reseal job SUCKS!!!
"it's the execution of the sealant application, that's the problem" Totally agree, I've had one dealer use sealant and no leak...another nothing but leaks.

Clean it with solvent. Use Permatex Right Stuff. Stick it together laying flat. Don't torque it until a few hours later. It will never come apart again.

My 18 sidewinder was definately first shift! its been dry and then a few weeks ago, oil on the floor. What happened? I believe I did it...I lightly checked to make sure all bolts were tight, including the oil tank torx....a few days later,oil seepage..lmao! I have the BOP gasket but havent got to it yet. They will probably all seep at some point. But DONT touch the screws if it aint leakin!!!
Keep messing with it till ya break something, that’s my motto

Come to think of it, yes, I remember changing the timing chains on my ford turbo V6. The front engine cover was like this.
However, the sealing surface area is larger with bolts closer together. Guess I'm of the opinion that a groove that held an 0-ring would be superior.
Been thinking about this a bit more. The difference between this oil tank and other similar type metal-to-metal liquid gasket sealing surfaces is that this one is just cast, where all others were machined.

Been thinking about this a bit more. The difference between this oil tank and other similar type metal-to-metal liquid gasket sealing surfaces is that this one is just cast, where all others were machined.
this is a good point, the dealer had to go through 4 new covers because the casting was not exact, all of the covers were not the same. It was explained to me this way...the tech put the cover on a flat plain surface and could measure the misfigured bonding side by mm's...also mentioned in his opinion there were not enough bolts holding the cover on..thus the leaks from pressure from roll over valve being frozen stuck. Joe

this is a good point, the dealer had to go through 4 new covers because the casting was not exact, all of the covers were not the same. It was explained to me this way...the tech put the cover on a flat plain surface and could measure the misfigured bonding side by mm's...also mentioned in his opinion there were not enough bolts holding the cover on..thus the leaks from pressure from roll over valve being frozen stuck. Joe
Agree, but I don't think this is roll over valve freezing issue. I know many others will disagree and that's OK.
The reason I think this is because I have only seen a roll over valve freeze once, and it was on a Vector. Pressure built so fast and so high that the valve cover rubber gasket blew right out - wow!
Therefore, when roll over valves freeze, you will definitely know, but it isn't a slow drip IMO!

Agree, but I don't think this is roll over valve freezing issue. I know many others will disagree and that's OK.
The reason I think this is because I have only seen a roll over valve freeze once, and it was on a Vector. Pressure built so fast and so high that the valve cover rubber gasket blew right out - wow!
Therefore, when roll over valves freeze, you will definitely know, but it isn't a slow drip IMO!
I believe that 2020's and newer sleds come with a heated roll over valve, from what I have read on this site is that when the sled is cold the ROV can freeze up and you need to turn the key on and let the ROV heat up for 1 minute before turning over the sled. That gives the ROV time to defrost and avoid the quick high pressure to build up in the tank and blow out the sealant gasket. It's kinda hard to remember to leave the key on for a minute when you're psyched to get going.

Back