• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sidewinders

Amazing how you have to be a design engineer and a mechanic to own a high performance sled these days.
For the price sledders pay for these toys, they should be gas and go, for at least 5 years.
Sleds have got to be the most unreliable toys ever produced. Not everyone wants to constantly mess with a toy that is limited to a few months of enjoyment, and sits in the garage for the other 9 months or so, while the crappy warranty continues to expire. If manufacturers were forced to supply an equivalent sled while warranty work was being completed, maybe, just maybe, they might built reliable sleds. As long as sledders keep buying unreliable sleds, I doubt if quality will improve. Just imagine if every sledder of every brand reused to buy a sled in the same year. Does anyone think that might get their attention, and force them to built a reliable product, with a real warranty, relative to the cost of these unreliable toys ?

I think groomers take the cake for "least reliable" machines.
Seems every club breaks one per season.

I still don't like the Cat look & although i didn't like the 2021 Yam's at fist, the Silver SE is starting to bite at me

This is all the reality of wanting to be a Yamaha sled owner/rider...they will be built in conjunction with AC. There are virtually no Japanese autos/trucks we buy in North America being built in Japan and sleds are obviously no different.
Its funny but when I bought my first Apex I kept my 2 stroke SRX as a backup sled but found I only wanted to ride my Apex and my 2002 SRX just collected dust, when I bought my 2019 Winder I also kept my Apex but it only collects dust.
I am happy Yamaha is still selling sleds regardless of where they are being built as I like being different and not being part of the faceless masses.
JM.02c
feel the same way. I love my winder....

And boom!......mic drop

I can tell. you this, if you do high speed trails with your sidewinder you would be lucky to get 5,000kms

4 sidewinders far north Ontario , 2200kms trip, two broke down, and mine and the other are now at the dealer being replace. 4 of the 4 require all gear replacements after that trip

please note that we do have 16 to 20oz of oil in the case, my gear does have the holes through and the ltx gt 2020 did not. Did not make a difference

1 - 2019 and 3 -2020’s

I can tell you towings sure cost alot of money!!!!!

I can tell. you this, if you do high speed trails with your sidewinder you would be lucky to get 5,000kms

4 sidewinders far north Ontario , 2200kms trip, two broke down, and mine and the other are now at the dealer being replace. 4 of the 4 require all gear replacements after that trip

please note that we do have 16 to 20oz of oil in the case, my gear does have the holes through and the ltx gt 2020 did not. Did not make a difference

1 - 2019 and 3 -2020’s

I can tell you towings sure cost alot of money!!!!!
fleecer and myself live in northern maine........... nothing but high speed trails here. Old railroad beds and wide open logging roads for trails everywhere you go. Moral of the story is I couldnt possibly care less if the top sprocket needed 2 replacements a winter, its $30ish bucks online and $10 of oil and about an hr of my time to swap out. Gonna take alot more than that to make this guy sad. I rode about 100 miles last friday before work and 170 on saturday with my wife. Saw 3 skidoo g4 sleds broke down on side of trail total...........one guy had so much parts strooled out on the side trail that the oncoming sleds had to wait for us to go by because he was blocking a lane.........they all have faults, thats life, pick your poison.

1.72 ratio and spinning 9400. This is at end of gear and it's perfect!! Get rid of the clutch heat and these things love big gears and they LOVE to turn big rpm. Been testing for 4 years now and have it dialed in.

So 9400 at the end of the gear? What rpm are you pulling through 100 mph.

Dam Glenn,

I don’t now how you see those type of speeds? Maybe I need to change my helix and spring on mine, but I’m nowhere near any of those top
End numbers..never have been. I feel I have a lot more potential in the top end department...but I’ve never even seen speeds in the 120’s on my Winder at all.

But Good for you my friend...that is very impressive.
Lol, I live about 30-40 miles from him and on a nice crisp night I go sit on the porch and listen for the sonic bang of him breaking the sound barrier and When my son says “ Dad! What was that??” , I tell him “ You remember Glen that comes over sometimes?.........well he’s out there doing some testing!”

Lol, I live about 30-40 miles from him and on a nice crisp night I go sit on the porch and listen for the sonic bang of him breaking the sound barrier and When my son says “ Dad! What was that??” , I tell him “ You remember Glen that comes over sometimes?.........well he’s out there doing some testing!”

Baaaaaahaha

So 9400 at the end of the gear? What rpm are you pulling through 100 mph.

Sorry for the confusion....I dont hit 9400 cause I'm out of gear. I spin 9400 to full shift out.

Heres the caveat: most people spin 8700-8800. Imo, there is a vibrant frequency in the engine at that rpm, which exasperates roller wear. Same thing at 9400, hard on rollers, but it flies.

Lastly, I'm only sharing what works for me. If you feel spinning 8800 works better for you, then stay there.

I think the SRX looks great, but a Thundercat can be had for almost $4,000 less.
The Yamaha has a 3 year warranty. You can extend it to 5 years. The Cat has only 1 year, and any additional years are thousands more to add on. You have to weigh your options carefully. You are going to pay, one way or the other. I will be ordering the SIDEWINDER LTX GT, 2021 spring order. I will take the extended warranty for 5 years. Currently running a 19 WINDER19 LTX DX, just over 6000 miles, in Quebec, love this sled and it’s power, and reliability!!!

As soon you tune your sled that warranty becomes a paperweight , at least when something goes wrong with engine ..... I wouldn’t pay for it anyway.

fleecer and myself live in northern maine........... nothing but high speed trails here. Old railroad beds and wide open logging roads for trails everywhere you go. Moral of the story is I couldnt possibly care less if the top sprocket needed 2 replacements a winter, its $30ish bucks online and $10 of oil and about an hr of my time to swap out. Gonna take alot more than that to make this guy sad. I rode about 100 miles last friday before work and 170 on saturday with my wife. Saw 3 skidoo g4 sleds broke down on side of trail total...........one guy had so much parts strooled out on the side trail that the oncoming sleds had to wait for us to go by because he was blocking a lane.........they all have faults, thats life, pick your poison.
We do 170 miles up here before lunch,,, on a monday. So when that gear lets go and the next town with a dealer or even a garage is 4hrs away, think of the towing cost and lost time on a trip. If you ride around your house back and fourth sidewinder is a good sled...

Yes parts are not expensive and have a four year warranty, but when you have a towing cost 2 years in row, BTW the towing cost are over $600 cnd for 250kms

And they gonna put in SAME garbage parts- if those are not back ordered, so it’s gonna fail again and again.

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out would it. I sold my sled a week ago in hopes to snowcheck a sled. The SRX looks great but track sucks and the LTX LE is ugly. Hate to say it but I'm going to order a T-cat and save $2k
You wouldn't think it would be that hard to figure out would it. I sold my sled a week ago in hopes to snowcheck a sled. The SRX looks great but track sucks and the LTX LE is ugly. Hate to say it but I'm going to order a T-cat and save $2k

LOVE THE HEAT RED AND WHITE!!!They should go back to this color

Attachments

• WINDER2 (1).jpg
    WINDER2 (1).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 126
  • WINDER2 (2).jpg
    WINDER2 (2).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 140
Some in depth info from Yamaha....

Addresses the Cat relationship and why they are using Cat's 2s engine(Approx 1:59).

Dan

I beg to differ about not being profitable to build there own 2 stroke,they would bring over customers like crazy if they did..if there is no apex then theres room to build a 2 stroke to fill that niche!!!and i will say by no means is it going to break the bank for yamaha to develope and test being they have been doing this since godzilla was real!!!

Back