• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sidewinders

I think groomers take the cake for "least reliable" machines.
Seems every club breaks one per season.
yea maybe yamaha needs to start building groomers..no wonder why they call them piston bullys etc..

I think groomers take the cake for "least reliable" machines.
Seems every club breaks one per season.
I think the Piston Bullies are the most unreliable groomer out there. There have been several broke down, even stranded on the trails in the UP this season alone. Seems like it is always on the weekend leaving the trails a mess. Maybe they cant take the whoops, they puke hydraulic oil all over the place, like they are on their period or something once a week.

We do 170 miles up here before lunch,,, on a monday. So when that gear lets go and the next town with a dealer or even a garage is 4hrs away, think of the towing cost and lost time on a trip. If you ride around your house back and fourth sidewinder is a good sled...

Yes parts are not expensive and have a four year warranty, but when you have a towing cost 2 years in row, BTW the towing cost are over $600 cnd for 250kms
I wasnt bragging about putting on big miles one day, I know thats not a big trip. It was a casual ride with my wife. My point was all makes have issues and at one point there probably gonna leave you stranded. If the top gear is giving you issues then add it to your preventative maintenance list at beginning of season and midway through season and be proactive about it. Hurricane just released a gear thats supposed to last and theres some on ebay that are custom that are supposed to last as well. Much cheaper than a tow and much cheaper than a new sled thats likely gonna have issues of its own.

If you tune your sled, yes,warranty gone. My thought is YAMAHA spends millions of dollars on research and development, that makes them a hell of a lot smarter than the weekend warriors who are constantly trying to out do all those engineers. You deserve to loose your warranty when you try to improve or outdo the engineers. Can’t blame Yamaha at all for voiding it.

Hank

I don’t blame any manufacturers for voiding warranty when you’re modifying, I’m just saying that warranty is not worth paying extra money for it. In my understanding most here are running tuned sleds . So extended warranty is not a good sell point for most .

I guess I'm getting old. I think they are plenty powerful stock.
I think most folks tune just for bragging rights and rarely use all of the power even a stock sled has.
My opinion. Not based on science. ;)

I wasnt bragging about putting on big miles one day, I know thats not a big trip. It was a casual ride with my wife. My point was all makes have issues and at one point there probably gonna leave you stranded. If the top gear is giving you issues then add it to your preventative maintenance list at beginning of season and midway through season and be proactive about it. Hurricane just released a gear thats supposed to last and theres some on ebay that are custom that are supposed to last as well. Much cheaper than a tow and much cheaper than a new sled thats likely gonna have issues of its own.
Dont take it wrong, I really did do 499KMs last Monday LOL - south of Wawa to Hearst ontario - 3hrs to do 300kms

I did see the Hurricane gear, Just waiting to pull the trigger

Got my new gear from yamaha, no holes in the new one (apparently they stopped that)

SO even if i put this in, and go on a long trip chances are if i am doing over 2500kms that week, there is a very good chance it will not survives (depending how hard and fast we go). One thing for sure is that the teams competing in the cains quest deffinitely have there gears changed (modified), maybe also eliminated the reverse all together.

CAins quest is 3,100kms

I guess I'm getting old. I think they are plenty powerful stock.
I think most folks tune just for bragging rights and rarely use all of the power even a stock sled has.
My opinion. Not based on science. ;)

If you’re riding winder you not old yet:)) but I tell that , once you try a tuned winder there is no going back to stock power levels:)

Dont take it wrong, I really did do 499KMs last Monday LOL - south of Wawa to Hearst ontario - 3hrs to do 300kms

I did see the Hurricane gear, Just waiting to pull the trigger

Got my new gear from yamaha, no holes in the new one (apparently they stopped that)

SO even if i put this in, and go on a long trip chances are if i am doing over 2500kms that week, there is a very good chance it will not survives (depending how hard and fast we go). One thing for sure is that the teams competing in the cains quest deffinitely have there gears changed (modified), maybe also eliminated the reverse all together.

CAins quest is 3,100kms

Old-old gear has no holes, old gears have holes in the gear but no hole in bushing, new gears have holes in sprocket and holes drilled thru bushing.

Sprockets can be drilled using carbide masonary bit using lube or coolant. Just don't break the bit off!

Old-old gear has no holes, old gears have holes in the gear but no hole in bushing, new gears have holes in sprocket and holes drilled thru bushing.

Sprockets can be drilled using carbide masonary bit using lube or coolant. Just don't break the bit off!

This the 24t

Part # 8kc-e769a-4o

Nice part about this it says Made in China

Baaaaaahaha

Sorry for the confusion....I dont hit 9400 cause I'm out of gear. I spin 9400 to full shift out.

Heres the caveat: most people spin 8700-8800. Imo, there is a vibrant frequency in the engine at that rpm, which exasperates roller wear. Same thing at 9400, hard on rollers, but it flies.

Lastly, I'm only sharing what works for me. If you feel spinning 8800 works better for you, then stay there.

9400 might be great for 1320’ speed runs.... but you’re not gonna win any drag races at that rpm...

The SRX is sweet looking but for over 3 k less and a better 1.25 ripsaw this is a way better value.View attachment 153814
I Just researched and ordered the new SRX, Yes it appears that the Thunder cat is thousands less so I called my cat dealer and found out the thunder cat is not standard with the Iact suspension and it's a up charge, it dose not come with the 3 year warranty or a cover or a $500 gift card. I was Quoted $16,470 for Thunder cat out the door with 1 year warranty, the SRX was $18,243 Out the door and includes a cover, $500 gift card and a extra 2 years of Warranty ($1300 value) and a larger tunnel bag. So the Yamaha SRX is Actually cheaper than the thunder cat If compare Apples to apples!!!

THANK YOU!!! You just validated my point. You get what you pay for. I’m a high mileage Quebec rider, and warranty is very important, especially now that US and CANADA covers warranty issues. Remember; they have many well trained engineers that have already tested most of the things that you (weekend warrior tuners) are trying to improve on. Bad issues are the result of your trial and error efforts.

Hank

I Just researched and ordered the new SRX, Yes it appears that the Thunder cat is thousands less so I called my cat dealer and found out the thunder cat is not standard with the Iact suspension and it's a up charge, it dose not come with the 3 year warranty or a cover or a $500 gift card. I was Quoted $16,470 for Thunder cat out the door with 1 year warranty, the SRX was $18,243 Out the door and includes a cover, $500 gift card and a extra 2 years of Warranty ($1300 value) and a larger tunnel bag. So the Yamaha SRX is Actually cheaper than the thunder cat If compare Apples to apples!!!
I hate to say it but you dealer is poking you on that T-Cat. Dealer here is at $14200 without Iact and $14750 with Iact . Figure tax on both sleds.

Back