• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022... disappointed!

SideWinder and Viper are not like the old Apex and Vectors there is no need for power steering. It would suck having a bad shoulder or something along those lines but if the Sled you have works with the injury you have maybe just stick with it. If it isn't broke don't fix it. We all know that upgrading to a Sidewinder or Viper is just gonna be a bunch of problems anyways

I’m still hoping I will will be able to install the power steering on a 20. Hoping for a kit or just being able to buy the parts. Thought about selling mine and ordering a new one but the difference so much more that it makes me think I could add it and be happy.

I suspect the powersteering is going to have a specific ECU. Highly doubt the 17-21 sidewinder ECU's have the logic in them already for powersteering. If it is speed sensing then I would think it has to be tied into ECU and is not stand alone like the aftermarket kit.

I suspect the powersteering is going to have a specific ECU. Highly doubt the 17-21 sidewinder ECU's have the logic in them already for powersteering. If it is speed sensing then I would think it has to be tied into ECU and is not stand alone like the aftermarket kit.
really good point, thats probably why they are not selling a kit to refit earlier models...Joe

SideWinder and Viper are not like the old Apex and Vectors there is no need for power steering. It would suck having a bad shoulder or something along those lines but if the Sled you have works with the injury you have maybe just stick with it. If it isn't broke don't fix it. We all know that upgrading to a Sidewinder or Viper is just gonna be a bunch of problems anyways

I have a rather large group of customers that really like my Mechanical Power Steering. There is a bigger demand for steering assist than you realize and in reality it is nice to have. It's a luxury....just like a turbo. One can argue it is all in set up, but steering effort is always a balancing act. There are alot of people that don't wrench...they just want to ride their sled. Power steering ensures no matter what suspension, carbide and ski options there are... they always have easy steering.

Will agree to disagree, if you don't want or like to wrench the Sidewinder is probably not the machine you want. You would definitely be better off with a Polaris or Ski Doo.

Every manufacturer has its downfalls and short comings. I don't care what color or symbol it has on it the machine it will require a wrench on it. Find what you like and make it your own.
Keep in mind in doing this you must own the short comings of your chosen manufacturer.

While I wished there had been some more 2s offerings with Yamaha clutching, this year wasn't necessarily a surprise to me.

I was able to sell the better halves Phazer- Good riddance. The only thing that kept us clinging to that sled was the engine being fun; 3 years in a row I had to sink $2K into that POS to get it to remotely handle decent for her to ride. Every time I turned around it was spitting bolts (that were loctite/torqued to spec) somewhere on the trail and no matter how hard we tried with setup we could never get it to handle how a trail sled should. (Yes, we made small and documented adjustments.)

We went to PY and picked her up a 21 Venom this year as an in-season buy. She is loving with the sled- it is a sled she can manage and it can run up to almost 70 non stop without missing a beat. We did have to put more weight into the primary this season due to rev limit issues like some have had- which sucks and is not acceptable to send them out that way- but I will take that $30 fix over a friends brand new Doo 600 sport that was choking itself to death at will or the countless 550s that she passed. But that's for another discussion.

So not too sure what this new chassis expectation is-

Ski Doo milked the cow on the XP,XS,XR chassis for 9 years before the G4 by just changing (drum roll) spindles, shocks and skids. I don't understand where this is such a big deal on the AC/Yam front.
Polaris was in the same boat aside from offering 2 chassis (Rush/Indy). Changing shock and bolt on components to change geometry can make all the difference. They have bolted a different sub frame and body work on an already existing chassis... is this what it takes?
Don't get me started on how long Yamaha stuck with the same chassis on their "true" sleds.

Will agree to disagree, if you don't want or like to wrench the Sidewinder is probably not the machine you want. You would definitely be better off with a Polaris or Ski Doo.
They all need wrenching. Believe me, I have seen it firsthand.

I thought in the Cat release the power steering was stated to be there’s from there side x side segment. It said it varied with speed like the Yamaha version on the delta box sleds. I would suspect it’s tied into the ECU if that’s the case. I have not seen where Yamaha has claimed it to be there unit. The aftermarket add on kit looks like a nice unit too but I believe I read they do not vary the assist for different speeds.

Logically it would seem that the power steering would have to be either pure Yamaha, or at least have substantial Yamaha DNA. First, why would AC spend the time, money, and effort to develop EPS for just one sled, which coincidentally is the only sled in their lineup made with a Yamaha motor? That is a lot of R&D money attached to a motor they don't even own. Also, if as everyone seems to suggest, the power steering is programmed into the ECU, doesn't the Sidewinder use a Mitsubishi ECU rather than a Cat ECU? To me, common sense says that this is a Yamaha EPS system, but of course, no one ever accused me of having much common sense.

You guys are way over thinking this, all the power steering systems out there all work basically the same way weather it's an ATV,SXS,or Snowmobile. The Yamaha unit on a SXS is a little different than the one on there snowmobile but it functions the same way pulling power back the faster you go and I'm pretty sure all the manufacturer all work the same way either through the ECU or a control module. The after market ones are a little different supplying the same amount of power at slow speed as high speed. So I guess if it is a reliability factor your all worried about it shouldn't really matter seeing how both Yamaha and Cat have years of use on these units.

If I was a moderator on this site I would erase all these negative post about the 22’s and give it a rest.
I’m not a internet snowmobiler, I ride like most people who like to ride do, I’ve been in northern Ontario since Wednesday, 1340 km of easy riding with some friends, we came up here to have a good time and leave the city bs behind..
2021 Polaris VR1 jack shaft bearing AGAIN started making grinding noise, Another 2021 VR1 hits 90mph for a quick second than sputters down to 70 ish mph and stays there 2021 900t limp mode and blowing belts another 900t gauge went blank.
Whats to be disappointed about???

Was with a group in QC last week and a guy with a 900T raving about his sled's greatness. After the first day - cracked header and his day was done. It was a 2021.
Meanwhile, my old SW rolling past 8500km's and not missing a beat. I have had my beefs with some of the design on this sled, but man, riding it is pretty awesome. We were going up hillsides for runs that were like 1/2km up hill. That sled just clawed up that thing. The power band never gets old.
MS

I thought in the Cat release the power steering was stated to be there’s from there side x side segment. It said it varied with speed like the Yamaha version on the delta box sleds. I would suspect it’s tied into the ECU if that’s the case. I have not seen where Yamaha has claimed it to be there unit. The aftermarket add on kit looks like a nice unit too but I believe I read they do not vary the assist for different speeds.
aftermarket EPS doesn't vary power with speed, I know I have one.

Over moderation is not a good thing.
When or if this thread gets ugly it will be terminated. This is up to you members. Keep it respectful and within Forum guidelines it will live.
I agree! Thats a big problem in the world today....God forbid you have a negative opinion on something that costs this much!

Cat or Yamaha power steering? Why does it really matter who made it, programed it, engineered it.. Lets judge its performance next season after it hits the snow. THEN I suppose if its junk(or one single failure) we will have a thread talking about Cat DNA and its all cats fault! If its flawless(which is my guess) then it will be Yamaha who engineered it? O and Yamaha has had Yamaha decals and plenty of skin in the game with the procross chassis(for many years) and surely has engineers far superior to Cat engineers? NOT!!!! BUT YET HAVE NOT FIXED the couple issues that need fixing??? So what's my point? Go buy another brand if you don't like Cat DNA.. Or maybe how about this thread title? "Yamaha DNA strikes again" Of coarse you would never see this on here! Rant over Peace out.

Last edited:

Back