• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2023 Top Gear is Powdered Metal Junk

Sintered gear has no machining marks on it anywhere and has part number cast in, old billet/forged has the part number etched in. Also sintered has full length teeth on it where the forward gear engages on it. Look at the pictures Cannondale posted. The good billet/forged gears have machine marks everywhere.

My stock 2022 sidewinder gear is the good one.. I have a DMC gear in mine from day one but the stocker was a good one..

I would like to see the other side of that gear. Color looks like original style.
I will try to get a picture. it looks like the one pictured above . The engagement teeth go all the way towards chain teeth

Nothing special about his gears over the stock billet gear except the price. As long as you have billet and machined top sprocket you're golden.
Why Cat/Yamaha decided to go back and try sintered is beyond me. They'll need to be recalled because they will all break in no time leaving people stranded. The don't take any power to break, they'll never take turbo power.

I just don't understand why some 23's have billet and some have the new sintered gear.
Mike I have a bud with a late build 22 GT. His top gear was junk in less than 70 miles. It was the new gold colored gear. So there are some 22s out there as well with the junk gear.

Mike I have a bud with a late build 22 GT. His top gear was junk in less than 70 miles. It was the new gold colored gear. So there are some 22s out there as well with the junk gear.

Can't believe Cat actually thought a sintered gear would work in the Winder. Obviously they let go of the engineers that would have known better and not gone down this road again.

Might be a supply chain issue for the 22' model year. They put junk in to get the sleds out the door.

Might be a supply chain issue for the 22' model year. They put junk in to get the sleds out the door.
Not just them...many automotive oem/supplier parts from East Junkyardville, Bangladesh, pass the now infamous 6 sigma 'process' (with few if any quality or destructive tests done) saying parts are good because the process is certified. They pulled this garbage with steam turbine generators! Supply chain...make the stuff in house and control what we pay good money for!!

I’m doing a service on a 2022 that has the powder metal gear.

4200 miles and the teeth are seriously showing wear , in my pic there’s a good refurb on the left and the new powder metal gear on the right with 4200 miles.

Attachments

• 62A51387-5AFE-45F7-AF15-7407B8087910.jpeg
    62A51387-5AFE-45F7-AF15-7407B8087910.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 130
Got into the chaincase this weekend and the top gear in my ‘22 LTX GT is not the machined gear. It is definitely the cheap powdered metal gear. No chipped teeth (thankfully) but definitely there is play between the gear/bushing and the shaft. I just slid the new Hurricane 21T gear on to the shaft and no play whatsoever. Plan to finish the job tomorrow.

Question though - what is the purpose of the smaller teeth on that top gear? The reverse gear that sits in front of that 21T top gear doesn‘t seem to fully engage or slide over top of the smaller teeth on the 21T gear - but they do butt up against one another, and the ends of the teeth do seem to engage each other somewhat.

Maybe I am missing something. What is the purpose of the smaller teeth on the top gear ?

Got into the chaincase this weekend and the top gear in my ‘22 LTX GT is not the machined gear. It is definitely the cheap powdered metal gear. No chipped teeth (thankfully) but definitely there is play between the gear/bushing and the shaft. I just slid the new Hurricane 21T gear on to the shaft and no play whatsoever. Plan to finish the job tomorrow.

Question though - what is the purpose of the smaller teeth on that top gear? The reverse gear that sits in front of that 21T top gear doesn‘t seem to fully engage or slide over top of the smaller teeth on the 21T gear - but they do butt up against one another, and the ends of the teeth do seem to engage each other somewhat.

Maybe I am missing something. What is the purpose of the smaller teeth on the top gear ?

Small teeth engauged gives you fwd gear.

All the power of that engine is transferred via those small little teeth on the gear.
Scary I know……..
That’s why that bushing needs to be checked and changed regularly or things get way to sloppy in there.
MS

Back