• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2023 Top Gear is Powdered Metal Junk

Small teeth engauged gives you fwd gear.
Thanks. Am I correct in that the reverse gear doesn't slide all of the way back onto those smaller teeth on the top gear during pre-assembly?

Thanks. Am I correct in that the reverse gear doesn't slide all of the way back onto those smaller teeth on the top gear during pre-assembly?
On reassembly make sure to slide the reverse gear fully over the small teeth of your upper sprocket, it will sit flush.

On reassembly make sure to slide the reverse gear fully over the small teeth of your upper sprocket, it will sit flush.
Thanks. That’s the clarity I was looking for. Couldn’t seem to get the reverse gear to fully engage the small teeth on the top gear but will go back at it tomorrow.

On reassembly , that reverse gear needs to be pushed onto the 23t gear. You will feel it click or mesh together.
Ms

Reactions: EWK
Why is it necessary to ensure it's in forward upon re-assembly?
I've often put them back together in reverse.

I dont think it matters other than to be sure it actually goes into forward and you dont have a shift fork or something on wrong. Most important is to go in and out of gear 3 times before moving to ensure that it finds home which is forward.

Never considered putting it together in reverse. If it works - have at it.
Personally - i will continue reassembling status quo as i dont want issues when its all back together, for fear it has to be pulled apart again.
MS

Here is what I experienced/learned today when installing new Hurricane top gear - posting the details as it may help someone else.…and I’ll probably forget the details so it will help me as well for next time I get into the chaincase.
- watched all the videos and read the articles related to chaincase maintenance and top gear replacement so I went into this with confidence.
- everything went as expected until re-installing the reverse gear/fork assembly
- I could not get the top reverse gear to slide onto the smaller teeth of the new top gear. Would not go. No way - no how. I figured if I couldn’t force it to go back no way would the actuator motor get it to go.
- removed and tried the reverse gear on the stock 21T on the bench and it falls onto the smaller teeth section. Wtf.
- Disassembled everything - removed the new top gear to the bench and again - the reverse gear falls onto the Hurricane gear - same as stock. So the new gear is good. Wtf.
- put the Hurricane top gear back on and all of the other gears back on.
- still cant get the reverse gear to slide all of the way back onto those lower teeth. No way - no how. WTF.
- tighten the chaincase adjuster bolt to finger tight plus 1 turn back to take that out as a variable - no difference.
- take the reverse gear off and rotate it 45 degrees or so and notice that now I can push it all the way back but it’s not smooth and there is some interference.
- keep removing and rotating the reverse gear and eventually find a spot where it falls onto the top gear with no interference - all the way back.
- mark it with a sharpie - remove and reinstall with the reverse fork assembly.
- goes onto those smaller teeth now smooth as butter.
- make sure reverse gear is all the way back on the 21T and the rods on that assembly are all pushed back.
- install chaincase/oil tank cover. Torque screws to 9 ft lbs.
- fill chaincase with oil
- Grease and install reverse gear actuator. Notch down - slides right in. try to turn it ccw and it won’t rotate that way - good.
- install spring and detent block.
- rotate track by hand and confirm secondary is moving with track.
- prior to installing actuator motor I turn the actuator clockwise a bit - engage actuator motor - rotate motor ccw and can’t get holes to line up.
- after multiple tries - I turn actuator a little more than I think what 20 degrees looks like.
- engage actuator motor - rotate ccw - holes line up perfectly- actuator motor is in the same position as in the pics I took prior to dissembling.
- install screws, guard, everything else.
- start sled - warm up - everything works perfectly. Cycle between fwd and reverse 5 times - everything goes smooth - no weird noises.

Cant explain why reverse gear wouldn’t engage top gear until I rotated and found the sweet spot. Makes no sense to me. But everything is back together - working as it should and put away til the fall.

Hope this info helps someone else.

Last edited:
I dont think it matters other than to be sure it actually goes into forward and you dont have a shift fork or something on wrong. Most important is to go in and out of gear 3 times before moving to ensure that it finds home which is forward.
If it was taken apart due to a shifting issue then that would make sense for sure.
Otherwise, no difference that I can see.

Here is what I experienced/learned today when installing new Hurricane top gear - posting the details as it may help someone else.…and I’ll probably forget the details so it will help me as well for next time I get into the chaincase.
- watched all the videos and read the articles related to chaincase maintenance and top gear replacement so I went into this with confidence.
- everything went as expected until re-installing the reverse gear/fork assembly
- I could not get the top reverse gear to slide onto the smaller teeth of the new top gear. Would not go. No way - no how. I figured if I couldn’t force it to go back no way would the actuator motor get it to go.
- removed and tried the reverse gear on the stock 21T on the bench and it falls onto the smaller teeth section. Wtf.
- Disassembled everything - removed the new top gear to the bench and again - the reverse gear falls onto the Hurricane gear - same as stock. So the new gear is good. Wtf.
- put the Hurricane top gear back on and all of the other gears back on.
- still cant get the reverse gear to slide all of the way back onto those lower teeth. No way - no how. WTF.
- tighten the chaincase adjuster bolt to finger tight plus 1 turn back to take that out as a variable - no difference.
- take the reverse gear off and rotate it 45 degrees or so and notice that now I can push it all the way back but it’s not smooth and there is some interference.
- keep removing and rotating the reverse gear and eventually find a spot where it falls onto the top gear with no interference - all the way back.
- mark it with a sharpie - remove and reinstall with the reverse fork assembly.
- goes onto those smaller teeth now smooth as butter.
- make sure reverse gear is all the way back on the 21T and the rods on that assembly are all pushed back.
- install chaincase/oil tank cover. Torque screws to 9 ft lbs.
- fill chaincase with oil
- Grease and install reverse gear actuator. Notch down - slides right in. try to turn it ccw and it won’t rotate that way - good.
- install spring and detent block.
- rotate track by hand and confirm secondary is moving with track.
- prior to installing actuator motor I turn the actuator clockwise a bit - engage actuator motor - rotate motor ccw and can’t get holes to line up.
- after multiple tries - I turn actuator a little more than I think what 20 degrees looks like.
- engage actuator motor - rotate ccw - holes line up perfectly- actuator motor is in the same position as in the pics I took prior to dissembling.
- install screws, guard, everything else.
- start sled - warm up - everything works perfectly. Cycle between fwd and reverse 5 times - everything goes smooth - no weird noises.

Cant explain why reverse gear wouldn’t engage top gear until I rotated and found the sweet spot. Makes no sense to me. But everything is back together - working as it should and put away til the fall.

Hope this info helps someone else.
Mine is the same way, first year with stock top gear I had to find the right spot to mesh the gears, last 3 years with the DMC top gear have been the same, I just mesh the gears before closing the case and never had a problem.

Just got a 22t top gear ( the good 0ne ) stock chain with 5500 miles hopefully stretched enough to fit. Or should I look at replacing the chain also

It will definitely be stretched enough to fit. You should be good to go.

Back