• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2024 Prototypes and Spy Photos

It is extremely disappointing to see fan cooled sleds going away. In much of Canada, they are still in regular use, and they are in many regards superior to liquid cooled. Something like an SRV or XLV with TSS and a long track would set a standard.

Your kidding right ? That chasis is so out dated rode my Uncles Matryx a few weeks ago procross is not even close to the same league !
I prefer the Pro-cross. I cant stand the body roll in every Matryx I have ridden.

I prefer the Pro-cross. I cant stand the body roll in every Matryx I have ridden.
If there is too much body roll in the turns, a couple of clicks on the front shocks is the quick and easy cure. I have a Matryx XCR and VR1 Boost. They corner fantastic.

If there is too much body roll in the turns, a couple of clicks on the front shocks is the quick and easy cure. I have a Matryx XCR and VR1 Boost. They corner fantastic.
maybe it can be dialed out. I have ridden 6 different ones and they all felt the same.

I also own an 850 vr1 and handling isn’t as good as my sidewinder. I think it can be dialed out with springs and shocks, however it will loose the capability’s in the bumps and stutters. Sure the procross is old, but it has been revised a lot and front end is still best in the industry. Rear end is a good compromise and the right shocks will improve it a ton.

That said, yes I’m infuriated at the 0 progress by Yamaha and even the poor quality of catalyst. Ideally I’d love the Matryx chassis, bodywork and rear suspension with the cat front end and a sidewinder motor and power steering. That would flat out be the best sled built. But here we are.

Soooo, my plan is turn my sidewinder into lake racer/backup sled and get a vr1 or assault for a daily trail sled till something more comes along.

Wait what??? They have not been built yet? How is the quality poor?
Look at them, lots of cheap and poor build choices. Compare that to the other things out there and it makes you wonder. It will still have the best front suspension and a capable rear and probably better ergos, but lots is still subpar and really not a fan. Take the runningboards for instance. It’s a molded plastic, sure that will work but it’s chintzy, it’s also just mounted to a piece of round stock that is shaped. Look at skidoo Polaris and lynx they all have machines or formed aluminum and so on. Sure it might be a great piece for racing as they can be swapped quick but it looks cheap to me. Even the aluminum replacement. The gauge pods look cheap, the gauge looks even cheaper, the bars riser and riser pad look chintzy. The rear bumper and tunnel look simple and cheap. also lots of other pieces but I will give those a chance to be a prototype disposable piece.

Sure it may all hold up ok but it’s the look and feel in one’s hand it lacks. The parts Yamaha always excelled before this partnership.

Look at them, lots of cheap and poor build choices. Compare that to the other things out there and it makes you wonder. It will still have the best front suspension and a capable rear and probably better ergos, but lots is still subpar and really not a fan. Take the runningboards for instance. It’s a molded plastic, sure that will work but it’s chintzy, it’s also just mounted to a piece of round stock that is shaped. Look at skidoo Polaris and lynx they all have machines or formed aluminum and so on. Sure it might be a great piece for racing as they can be swapped quick but it looks cheap to me. Even the aluminum replacement. The gauge pods look cheap, the gauge looks even cheaper, the bars riser and riser pad look chintzy. The rear bumper and tunnel look simple and cheap. also lots of other pieces but I will give those a chance to be a prototype disposable piece.

Sure it may all hold up ok but it’s the look and feel in one’s hand it lacks. The parts Yamaha always excelled before this partnership.
Fair enough.. Thinking I will base my opinion after they are built and hit the snow.. I will tell it like it is if and when it shows up and hits the snow.

Bit harsh without actually seeing one but we all have our own opinions. Some of us are still holding on to the old ways I see.

I agree with Nytroxkid but the same was said and was true of the Procross. We benefitted from the cheapness mostly. Parts were cheap for years and other than the crazy variety of cheap fasteners they were very easy to work on and made to be replaced pretty easily. I think thats still a advantage over the Doos for sure and Somewhat over the Poos. There is also the $.Sleds and Parts have gone up even for the Procross/Yamahas. Hugely. The value of being able to work on them easier is still there though since Everything including shop labor has gone up too. Its just going to be the bitter taste of big $ up front and maybe parts in future that makes it tough to justify. Luckily for all of us with Yamaha engines there really is no hurry. Keep them going and instead of forking it out this year for a new one if the funds dont allow just wait till next year or later to save the $ up. Most important is to be able to ride and our current Sleds are darn nice anyway.

Composite fibers with resin molded as running boards are not the same as a cheap plastic running board.
I bet they hold up well on the new chassis.

Composite fibers with resin molded as running boards are not the same as a cheap plastic running board.
I bet they hold up well on the new chassis.
Sure they will hold up. But do they not look and feel like the cheapest pos ever? Does it make it look better when it’s a pieces of round stock bent to shape and pounded flat to mount. Yes it’s replaceable. Sounds great but for how many times I’ve needed to replace any of that in my lifetime (30+years on a sled) I’ve never thought, hey let’s have some cheap race team inspired replaceable boards. The plan isn’t the bad part it’s the execution. And we all know it continues into the rest of the chassis. Belt drive is a nice piece, how well executed time will tell. Body panels are a step above 3d print quality. I like the looks hate the quality as it looks/feels cheaper than a procross.

As far as actual price, they have a lot of cheap pieces an less production costs than doo and poo use with the same price tag. It’s just hard to justify imo. The sidewinder and viper motors are all that would make these tolerable.

Back