• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A straight answer

nytrochic said:
I think people are jumping the gun on changing. I have 2400 miles on same set. Early on they were to the wear line and I was going to change them but they havent got worse
i agree 100%

Tork said:
ktm010 said:
Just my observation on slider wear, bought a used 06 Nytro with 850 miles on it. Slides seemed worn down quite a bit just below wear indicator or beveled marking. Rode the entire season last year and all of this year and still have them on over 1900 miles so far. My 08 rtx Nytro seames to be wearing the same way 1500 miles and still going. It seams they wear down quite a bit then wear slows down, the wear seems even on both sleds, not favoring the front, seems to wear more towards the rear. Both sleds have seen marginal snow conditions also. I now keep an eye on them for wear, but very surprised on how they have kept going.

This is a major key point!!!!! A lot of guys know this but many may not.

the first 2/3 or 3/4 can wear very fast, then in many cases wear slows way down. Why is that?? Because as the plastic wears the track comes in greater contact with the wheels.

After re reading this thread, I have to say some guys may be changing their hyfax too early, before they wear to where the wheels can do their job.

I have resisted the temptation to jump in on this hyfax wear thing, but since you guys have brought it up, I will throw my .02 in. What you've described above is exactly what I have experienced with numerous sleds over the years, the material wears unevenly at first, adjusting to the highs and lows of a given rail profile. For the first couple of hundred miles a rider will look at the wear and think "OMG, I need to change them before they wear out completely" Thing is, once they reach a certain point, they quit wearing at the accelerated rate, they settle down and you'll get the type of longevity you'd expect. I FULLY believe a lot of people are changing hyfax that don't really need to. This is not to say some guys are experiencing problems, but I bet if a number of Nytro riders just gave the sliders a little more time, they'd see that they quit wearing so fast.

Also there is a lot to be said for seasoning or tempering the slides, it really hardens them and they last a lot longer. Get'em good and hot, then pull off into the snow and let'em cool. Once or twice and you're good to go.

This has been my experience in the 30+ years I've been riding, FWIW.

I'll have to try tempering mine next season.

On another note, Yamaha has stopped responding to my emails. Guess I'll have to try some phone calls...

edit: Where exactly should holes be drilled in the hyfax? Can anybody that does it post a picture?

08 FX Nytro lover said:
I also always drill approx 3/16" holes about 2" apart all the way down the middle of the slides. My 97 SX 700 went almost 5,000 miles on the original set with the holes drilled from day one and everyone said I was crazy but I can count on one hand how many hyfax I have replaced in the last 10 years with countless Yami's, Cats and Doo's.

How do the newer Phazers with 14" wide tracks do on hyfax with the lightweight slotted clips? In theory they are similia to what I have been doing with drilling small lube holes in the hyfax......

My Phazer made 2000mi on first set of hyfax.One ride very hardpacked trails and railroadgrade and they wore in front of first idlers right up to line.Rest of slides were even and about 1/8 below line.Replaced slides added wheels and 600mi or so looked same as when wore.Left them on and stick my finger under worn area every so often its thin enough to be flexible but not worn through and not wearing anymore 1200mi later.I think Yamaha just doesnt give as much clearance between bottom of rails and bottom of wheels.Less leeway when they wear down to the broke in state.Hard to measure that unless skid is out and Hyfax off.But its such a small margin between good and rail showing that it is very hard to resist changing before needed.If that margin could be increased by 1/16" it would make me and others feel much more confident.

2700 kms they dont' stop wearing!
1110aao.jpg

Over the last summer I changed to Polaris wheels had to make custom machined collars and have the center yoke machined to work with the new wheels. Had to have the rails rebuilt up to original specs. Fortunately I have some pull a local machine shop and got all the machining and welding done "for free". The wheels came out of my pocket. This certainly wouldn't have been cheap if I had to pay for everything.
Trails were mostly snow packed with the exception of about 40 km of logging road that was graded down to dirt with the occasional snow patch. Tough conditions for the track and sliders - once we made it to the highway we parked the sleds and hitch-hike back to the trucks. My riding partner's Polaris with the same number of miles as I had km's made it back with no issues with regard to slider wear. His sled has three extra sets of wheels (from the factory) between the curve and the tensioner wheels. It's clear to me that they take some of the stress off the slider. Something I'll take in consideration when it comes time to replace my sled.

You will definitly need more wheels.But look at front.This is exactly where mine wore.Its wierd that it would wear in one spot like that.

Attachments

• Slide.jpg
    Slide.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 76
Aaron Eh said:
2700 kms they dont' stop wearing!
1110aao.jpg

Over the last summer I changed to Polaris wheels had to make custom machined collars and have the center yoke machined to work with the new wheels. Had to have the rails rebuilt up to original specs. Fortunately I have some pull a local machine shop and got all the machining and welding done "for free". The wheels came out of my pocket. This certainly wouldn't have been cheap if I had to pay for everything.
Trails were mostly snow packed with the exception of about 40 km of logging road that was graded down to dirt with the occasional snow patch. Tough conditions for the track and sliders - once we made it to the highway we parked the sleds and hitch-hike back to the trucks. My riding partner's Polaris with the same number of miles as I had km's made it back with no issues with regard to slider wear. His sled has three extra sets of wheels (from the factory) between the curve and the tensioner wheels. It's clear to me that they take some of the stress off the slider. Something I'll take in consideration when it comes time to replace my sled.

They definitely will NOT stop wearing completely! I wish, but that's about 1700 miles right? That's not all that bad. In the old days that was about a seasons worth of riding for me, and I'd often change them every year. I guess I probably have a different perspective on it.
To me that doesn't seem excessive to the point of being a design flaw. The sleds these days put down so much more power and the skids being long travel have more forces being applied to the hyfax from the track than ever before. As far as I know the hyfax materials haven't changed much over the years. Add to that the fact that we now have 1.25" track lugs as a rule which don't provide as much lube to the sliders, and I don't think we should expect a whole lot more?????

Just MHO guys

The last race I entered was extremely limited on snow. It called for 10 miles of lake running on basically bare ice with a slight dusting of snow. I was happy it got cancelled because I had serious doubts my hyfax would make it through a 200 mile XC race.

Looking at your photo kind of reconfirms my suspicions. I don't know if the Nytro is harder on sliders than anything else but the third window track is not doing us any favors!

Just got another email from Yamaha. To quote Scott of Yamaha Customer service, "...we sincerely hope [the competition] will be better able to meet your needs."

He basically told me to shove it and buy from BRP or Polaris if I'm not happy with the way Yamaha is treating me!! What's up with that?

Don't feel bad. Your not the only one. I had two CS reps tell me basically the same thing, only I got $100 worth of parts out of them first. Sad to say, the sled is great to ride, but with CS like this, makes the other 3 look pretty good.

Doogs said:
I'll have to try tempering mine next season.

On another note, Yamaha has stopped responding to my emails. Guess I'll have to try some phone calls...

edit: Where exactly should holes be drilled in the hyfax? Can anybody that does it post a picture?
I think "tempering" hyfax is a good one for Mythbusters IMO

Doogs said:
Just got another email from Yamaha. To quote Scott of Yamaha Customer service, "...we sincerely hope [the competition] will be better able to meet your needs."

He basically told me to shove it and buy from BRP or Polaris if I'm not happy with the way Yamaha is treating me!! What's up with that?
Not cool but just for the record, Poo told my buddy the same thing about his 05 Fusion 900 mess. Nw my friend is pretty crass and really knows how to rub people wrong, but thats still no excuse for telling someone "if your so unhappy, go to the competition".

Has anyone tried the Hyperfax on their Nytro? Supposed to not melt under 750 deg F. Regular slides melt at 350 deg F.

Back