• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aftermarket clutch weight testing from this weekend

Any testing done with the STM 60YS weights ulmer is using in his kits?

I ran the STM 60 YS weights last season in my SW L-TX LE that came in Allen's clutch kit with outstanding results. I do some off trail riding occasionally and also picked up a softer engagement spring from Allen that also worked out great.

I really liked how easy it is to change the weight mass on the STM weights and like ROCKERDAN mentions above you've got the capability to add more weight if you add a tune down the road for more HP.

There's a lot of choices out there for adjustable weights and you just need to do your research to find out what's best for your needs.

I'll be trying out a few other weights and springs this season to check out what works best for what I'm looking for.

It's a great time to be owning a SW with a full season behind us in testing and development unlike last season where everyone was starting from scratch.

I will be trying the new Super torquer weights. Nothing i have tried has pulled as hard down low as a Super Torquer weight, and i have tried a lot of them.

Any testing done with the STM 60YS weights ulmer is using in his kits?
Yes a couple of us have allens STM weights,springs both front and back,along with STM straight 38. My 60,s loaded are 81 grms two tunstons in front,but the straight 38 shifts so quickly it struggles to catch up with the final shift rpm of 9200-9400 as my friend that was setting this up,for myself as I was sidelined with injuries and surgery,so shaun was my test pilot,and we had suspension problems because of the tunnel I was forced to get,as parts were very sparse in its first year,around jan,feb and march,late march early april,things started to finallt roll in on the fish,but my sled was up and running with what I could get. And this monster was hard in the hook up area,just ripping and spinning so hard off the line,i guess in the twisty trails he was confined to,it was very difficult to flat out run it up very high toward top end,to see the correct rpms we were after,that and the fact that we were running one of allens offset tang springs,and we had it twisted to 30 degrees,and allen wanted it at 10 degrees,so it was snappy out of the whole,and maybe unable to fully open up,for max rpm and full shift,but good news we never hurt the stock belt.

I ran the STM 60 YS weights last season in my SW L-TX LE that came in Allen's clutch kit with outstanding results. I do some off trail riding occasionally and also picked up a softer engagement spring from Allen that also worked out great.

I really liked how easy it is to change the weight mass on the STM weights and like ROCKERDAN mentions above you've got the capability to add more weight if you add a tune down the road for more HP.

There's a lot of choices out there for adjustable weights and you just need to do your research to find out what's best for your needs.

I'll be trying out a few other weights and springs this season to check out what works best for what I'm looking for.

It's a great time to be owning a SW with a full season behind us in testing and development unlike last season where everyone was starting from scratch.
Was you stock,but wanted just more belt pinch? What was your loaded too? And what did it shift out to?

Was you stock,but wanted just more belt pinch? What was your loaded too? And what did it shift out to?

snowbeast.......I'm running all stock, no tune or muffler mods. I've used the STM weights in many of my Yamaha sleds over the years and just really like the profile and the ease of tuning. I had full shift out running about 9000 rpm using the stock helix. I don't have the sled at home right now to check on how the weights were loaded, I just followed Allen's recommendation and found it spot on right from the get go.

snowbeast.......I'm running all stock, no tune or muffler mods. I've used the STM weights in many of my Yamaha sleds over the years and just really like the profile and the ease of tuning. I had full shift out running about 9000 rpm using the stock helix. I don't have the sled at home right now to check on how the weights were loaded, I just followed Allen's recommendation and found it spot on right from the get go.
Ya I have also run allens stuff stock to,but now the high HP motor needs a lot more weight,and helix is a nice addition to.

Can't wait to try my new gen OSP weights. My SLP purple secondary spring looks very similar to the new tough guy orange! Time will tell. Will fine tune with a helix if need be. Pulled crazy OD last year with both clutches machined and stk belt. Also have the 22 gear but likely not going to use it. 3" hyperflow is imo one of the best out there and still plenty quiet for me.
Purple spring is too stiff. It's been tried. By the go ahead and try for yourself.

Dale, thank you for explaining the way the spring works ;)!

Clutching a snowmobile is more than just adding or taking out weight. There are different profiles of weights, different rollers to swing that weight and when to swing it...then there are the springs. Primary isn't too bad as you can go by start and finish rates. But when it comes to secondary springs...side pressure and twist are very important for correct shift yet having enough belt squeeze.

Just an FYI on the new orange secondary spring from Thunder Products....

Friend of mine who is running a turbo viper on asphalt gained 3 mph this weekend at the Amsnow shootout.....just by putting in the orange secondary spring. He is happier than a tornado in a trailer park because he could not hit 150mph with the spring he was using. He is now a member of the 150 mph club!!!
I would like to add that the spring taken out was the purple one. It wasn't allowing him full shift early enough in his run. I was there helping him and dialing my sled also. He also picked up .2 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

Yes a couple of us have allens STM weights,springs both front and back,along with STM straight 38. My 60,s loaded are 81 grms two tunstons in front,but the straight 38 shifts so quickly it struggles to catch up with the final shift rpm of 9200-9400 as my friend that was setting this up,for myself as I was sidelined with injuries and surgery,so shaun was my test pilot,and we had suspension problems because of the tunnel I was forced to get,as parts were very sparse in its first year,around jan,feb and march,late march early april,things started to finallt roll in on the fish,but my sled was up and running with what I could get. And this monster was hard in the hook up area,just ripping and spinning so hard off the line,i guess in the twisty trails he was confined to,it was very difficult to flat out run it up very high toward top end,to see the correct rpms we were after,that and the fact that we were running one of allens offset tang springs,and we had it twisted to 30 degrees,and allen wanted it at 10 degrees,so it was snappy out of the whole,and maybe unable to fully open up,for max rpm and full shift,but good news we never hurt the stock belt.
I run 2 tungstens in tip(7 grams ea.), mid empty and 2 washers in heel(1 gram ea.), total of 76 grams as per ulmers recommendation.

I run 2 tungstens in tip(7 grams ea.), mid empty and 2 washers in heel(1 gram ea.), total of 76 grams as per ulmers recommendation.
Yup,thats what mine are,80.9 grms,the base is 63 to start.

Reviving this thread again as there's a ton of useful info here. Would be great for guys to post their ecu tuning, clutching, and weight setups here to help everyone else with tuning their clutches.

I have a thunder products kit with heavy hitters, setup the way they were sent to me. I'll be running Hurricane's 270 and 280 race flashes with CAI, I'm 230 lbs fully dressed. Heavy hitters with 58 g base weight have 7/16" steel bolt and thick washer (5.6 grams) in tips, 3/8" steel bolt in mid hole (2.6 grams) and 3/4" slug in heel (3.3 grams). I'm wondering if I should add anything to this before I install the kit. Anyone have any experience with the kit and similar tuning and can provide input for me?

The weights as configured now will be nowhere near enough to get ahold of Dave’s 270 race flash. You will be smacking 9400 rpm at 1/2 throttle.

I’m working on dialing this in right now, but still a work in progress.

Reviving this thread again as there's a ton of useful info here. Would be great for guys to post their ecu tuning, clutching, and weight setups here to help everyone else with tuning their clutches.

I have a thunder products kit with heavy hitters, setup the way they were sent to me. I'll be running Hurricane's 270 and 280 race flashes with CAI, I'm 230 lbs fully dressed. Heavy hitters with 58 g base weight have 7/16" steel bolt and thick washer (5.6 grams) in tips, 3/8" steel bolt in mid hole (2.6 grams) and 3/4" slug in heel (3.3 grams). I'm wondering if I should add anything to this before I install the kit. Anyone have any experience with the kit and similar tuning and can provide input for me?

For that much hp you will need 7/16 or 1/2 brass in the tip. Call Lonn and he will get you what you need. They are not in the kit. The 7/16 weighs 7.2g and the 1/2 weighs 9.2g. I run the 7/16 on asphalt at 280ish. 17.5# boost TD flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For that much hp you will need 7/16 or 1/2 brass in the tip. Call Lonn and he will get you what you need. They are not in the kit. The 7/16 weighs 7.2g and the 1/2 weighs 9.2g. I run the 7/16 on asphalt at 280ish. 17.5# boost TD flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that kind of HP what's the setup for the orange secondary spring? Which holes?

Back