• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another starter failure

Dimebag

TY 4 Stroke God
Website
www.ty4stroke.com
Seems like the relay stuck on and i fried my starter. There was smoke coming from the + terminal on the battery.

I now measure a direct short between the starter positive lead and ground. Can anyone verify how many ohms Im supposed to measure there?

Question is, even with the relay gone.. why do i get code 12 (crankshaft position sensor) and code 46 (ecu voltage) in the display?

All fuses are ok, and fuel pump goes like it should.

Where do i start? (Except ordering a new starter and relay)..

I have tried to replace the battery, but still get the same fault codes. And no luck jumping the starter relay either.. So its probably shot.

Thanks

A new thread? lol

I posted a bunch of info on this here: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=118072

As far as your codes, there is a good chance that most will clear once you start your sled.

Your stator has a good chance of being cooked also.
You can test the starter with a 12v battery and jumper cables, however, it IS most likely a dead short.
Just do a quick touch of the final connection, a short will throw a BUNCH of sparks, a good starter will spin and throw some sparks when connected.
(You will definitely know if it is a dead short.)

Once you replace everything, make sure you KNOW you fixed the cause so you don't have to replace it all again in a week!

Rock :-o

Yep, its a dead short. And there definately was no cranking when i shorted out the relay..

The relay is stuck in the ON position, so I guess thats the reason the starter failed? Dont you think?

I have a new starter on the way already..

This happened on my backup sled… On my turbo sled i have the starter saver… guess I should have had one on this one too….

The relay could have stuck due to a failed key switch also, would replace it too. ;)!
The relay will usually weld itself closed when the switch sticks.

Yea i CPS error when my starter failed also. i think you get that once your ecu reaizes your starter should be turning and the engine is not turning.

Thanks for the info guys.

I ordered a new starter last night. And I will change the key switch as well. Plus check all relays and the stator.

I am surprised the battery held up being shorted out completely for several minutes..

I will run a battery test on it before i install it again, but at least it took charge and reads normal voltage.

Can anyone tell me the purpose of diode "11" in the circuit diagram.
Part number: 4WA-81980-00-00 Diode, Assy.

Is it to protect the ecu for possible overvoltage?

How do i measure it? It does not respond to a regular diode tester.

The stator values was good. And Im gonna test the rectifier at work tomorrow with a 3-phase variac.

It is a Transient Voltage Suppressor Diode.
It protects the ECU against the Inductive Voltage Kickback from the starter relay when the Magnetic field collapses.

Test by applying a Current Limited voltage across it.
Do not know the exact specs, but should be 18-25V or so for turn-on.
One direction will be open no matter what. (Until you kill it anyway.)
The other direction will turn-on with enough voltage supplied.

Swapped the starter and ignition switch yesterday. Codes went away and everything seems fine.

I found I had to loosen the subframe and lift it a little to be able to bend the engine far enough to get the starter out. Definately a two man job.

I will install battery quick connectors on my sleds, so i have the possibility to disconnect the battery if the starter should hang on in the future.

if you look at the front of the nytro engine it had a perfect place to put a small shackle through. I used that and an overhead jib crane for tilting my enigine but im sure you could use another sort of method to tilt it for a one man job

Back