• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex controller/airbox mod

Iv done a search for the actual instructions of how and where to cut but came up with nothing. Can someone please send me a link to the actual instructions of a modded box that actually gained hp? Looking for just the removal of material not any other mods.

I installed d&d kit PCV with clutch kit and I put 12 of Schmidt Brothers circular are modules and got 164 on a 2011, so the right configuration works well. She pulls hard past 800 etecs.

I installed d&d kit PCV with clutch kit and I put 12 of Schmidt Brothers circular are modules and got 164 on a 2011, so the right configuration works well. She pulls hard past 800 etecs.
What EXUP/Tunnel Protector Kit are you using and how many studs did you put in? 164 is great.

What EXUP/Tunnel Protector Kit are you using and how many studs did you put in? 164 is great.

I used the Yamaha tunnel protectors. However, I purchased solid brackets from Port Yamaha as the stock ones, which are not fully boxed can get soft causing the track to go higher and studs contacting EXUP = NO Bueno. 5000 miles so far not a single scratch with I think 144 Studboys down the middle or what ever the 128" track allows at 2 per, and super light plastic backers. In 5,000 miles I lost one backer and replaced 4 cracked ones due to having to ride down stone filled road with poor snow. Otherwise the whole set up is awesome, and super reliable.

Nobody recorded themselves cuttin up an airbox? Noone?
Please. Im about to do the 121 to 136 conversion and am doing an oilchange at the same time so im gunna have everything apart so id like to do the airbox mod at the same time. Id realky like to know what exactly i need to do. Pictures too instead of just being told would really help too.

I used the Yamaha tunnel protectors. However, I purchased solid brackets from Port Yamaha as the stock ones, which are not fully boxed can get soft causing the track to go higher and studs contacting EXUP = NO Bueno. 5000 miles so far not a single scratch with I think 144 Studboys down the middle or what ever the 128" track allows at 2 per, and super light plastic backers. In 5,000 miles I lost one backer and replaced 4 cracked ones due to having to ride down stone filled road with poor snow. Otherwise the whole set up is awesome, and super reliable.
Thank you for the info, with 5000 miles sounds like you have a good set up. I will call Port Yamaha.

I will call Port Yamaha.

Unfortunately, I may have purchased Kevin's last set as they no longer have a place to weld the extra support to the C-shaped tunnel protector. With that said, here's a picture someone posted in Tom's 'My 2018 Apex 50th XTX' post that shows the added piece welded to the existing tunnel protector. If it wasn't for Kevin rounding up his last set, I was planning on taking mine off and have a local weld shop add this extra support piece.
Capture.JPG

Unfortunately, I may have purchased Kevin's last set as they no longer have a place to weld the extra support to the C-shaped tunnel protector. With that said, here's a picture someone posted in Tom's 'My 2018 Apex 50th XTX' post that shows the added piece welded to the existing tunnel protector. If it wasn't for Kevin rounding up his last set, I was planning on taking mine off and have a local weld shop add this extra support piece.
View attachment 132711
Thats them. Glad I got them right asway, though its not rocket science to weld a support piece in them.

Thanx for hijacking my thread guys. and yes i stated that i tried the search bar in my first post on the second page......and again.....found nothing.
So i went out on a limb and tried it on my own. six 1.5" holes drilled in a v formation on my lid.....and covered the holes with the same coarse foam the prefilter is made from from a shop vac. No idea if thats right

Thanx for hijacking my thread guys. and yes i stated that i tried the search bar in my first post on the second page......and again.....found nothing.
So i went out on a limb and tried it on my own. six 1.5" holes drilled in a v formation on my lid.....and covered the holes with the same coarse foam the prefilter is made from from a shop vac. No idea if thats right

That shop vac filter is no good. You need a product like Frog Skin to cover the holes in your lid. This will allow air in and keep all moisture out. If you like I have a modded air lid for the ram air effect sitting on a shelf. Pay the shipping and its yours.
Gives the sled a real throaty sound.

Attachments

• IMG_20170102_123007.jpg
    IMG_20170102_123007.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 141

Back