• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex GT front Heat Exchanger removal -any tips?

markddapexgt

Extreme
Had a rock or some other inconciderate object go through the front heat exchanger last night and its definately toast. Damage too extensive for welding unfortunately. Anyone have any advice on removal and replacement before I start the teardown?

2 years ago I helped my friend replace his front cooler on his Attak. Actually he was helping me, becuase he had never taken a sled apart before!

Here's how we did it:
-Remove rear skid
-Remove entire chaincase
-Remove track driveshaft
-Remove track
-Remove access panel under the middle bulkhead
-Drain cooling system
-Drill the many rivets holding the cooler to the frame
-Disconnect all hoses from cooler

We ended up putting a new speedo-side bearing on the driveshaft while we were in there as well. Its also a great time to replace the chaincase bearings if you like.

It took about 3 hours to tear it down. I left the cooler removal to my friend becuase it was his sled and his knuckles that took a beating trying to reach all the hose clamps, rivets etc. He siad that took about another hour on his own.

I came back to help the next weekend after he got the new cooler riveted in and connected to all the hoses. Then it was about another 3-4 hours to put everthing back together.

Its not hard work. It may be intimidating if its your first time. I know my buddy was freaked when he stepped back and noticed exactly how much crap had to come off the sled to do this service. I beleive the only tool he didn't have on hand was a 36mm wrench for the top nut on the chaincase and a snap ring pliers. We had to make a run back to my shop to get those.

Get a friend to help, take photos on your camera if you think you need to and put everything in labeled freezer bags to help with reassembly.

Also, the PDF copy of the Factory service manual that is floating around on this site will be a great help.

Andy.

Thanks Andy
Somehow I thought I couldnt get away without taking out the track but I remembered someone mentioning it could be done. Anyway new parts on the way and I have done most of the teardown on previous services. Thank you for taking the time to help out. Much appreciated.
Mark

I'm almost positive that you have to remove the chaincase to get access to all the rivets.

I suppose you could just loosen the track tension and leave the skid in the tunnel while you remove the chaincase. and then deal with the cooler. I think I also may have read a post from someone on here that did it that way.

We went through the extra steps to pull the skid and driveshaft on my friend's machine. He wanted to go through the rear suspension, and replace the speedo bearing ($20) while we were in that deep.

Yep. Thats the way to go. May as well do the extra work and replace the seals and bearings....its what I was going to do in the off season but we still have a little riding left hopefully.
Thanks again
Mark

I would like to add, there is a motor mount bolt that you have to remove as because it goes thru 2 ears on the end of the heat exchanger

Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I am trying to change me front exchanger on my 08 Apex RTX. Removed all what is needed, drilled all rivets and the exchanger still wont move. I can not pull it out. I am thinking of cutting it to get it out but if it doesn't come out easily how will the new one go in. Any tips. Any other brackets or rivets need to come out.. Help!!!

I did remove the long bolt. It only moves so slight. I can confirm all rivets are out as I can move it enough to see there are no more rivets. I am not sure where to go from here.

I did this a long time ago, I used a small bottle jack to spread the tunnel a little bit.

So bottle jack inside tunnel to push it apart. I cut the old one out and about to attempt installing new one. 13hrs into this but also doing oil change at the same time.

Back