• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Oil Change

with the right tool there is no need to rotate.

Exactly, that is why I ended buying a set of these allen head sockets. Makes getting access to the clamp bolts a breeze.

upload_2017-6-9_15-22-24.png

Remove the battery strap, remove the battery cover, remove the positive and negative wires on battery and lift battery out.

View attachment 101900

Remove the upper bolts that hold the battery holder to the delta box. Unplug the sensor near the CDI in the belly pan area. Then remove the bolts that hold the CDI mount. Push that down into the belly pan area once the bolts are removed. Now remove the final 2 bolts that hold the bottom edge of the battery cage into the lower bulk head. Once all the bolts are removed you can move all the fuses and relay off the battery holder by sliding back their rubber mounts of the mounting tabs. Now you can lift out the battery cage starting from the right pulling the main harness back. This is a pain but it will come out.

View attachment 101901

Now you can remove the belly pan access covers 2 Allen head bolts to gain access to the main engine drain plug. Pull drain plug to drain engine. This may be tight so be sure that your Allen head socket is in all the way so you don't round out the bolt.

View attachment 101902

Pull drain plug on the oil tank next.

View attachment 101903

Remove the filter that was under the battery cage.

View attachment 101904

Let her drain out good and replace the washer on the drain plug.

View attachment 101905

View attachment 101906

When installing the new filter be sure to put some oil on the filter o-ring and make sure the old o-ring came off with the old filter. Basically from here once everything is drained and all the plugs are put back in you install everything in reverse order. Add the 3 quarts of oil into the tank. Turn sled on for a few minutes to allow the oil to fill the new filter and then top off oil.

Please ask any questions and if I missed anything I can update. It was a quick change for me and Ill try and get a few more pics on the next one.
I appreciate the time that you went through and the pictures you took. I will be doing my oil change this morning. All I can say, it's a #*$&@ ton of work to get at tat filter!!! Maybe a relocation kit is on order...

Woh blast from the past.

Check the maintenance on that filter before you go further...no need to change it on every oil change.

Last edited:
I appreciate the time that you went through and the pictures you took. I will be doing my oil change this morning. All I can say, it's a #*$&@ ton of work to get at tat filter!!! Maybe a relocation kit is on order...
Once you have done it couple times, you will realize it's cake and takes very little time. Just be glad you are not doing it to a phazer!!

Quick one here. Oil/Filter Change this tomorrow. Have never checked that pick up screen so will do that too. In the pics I see two little bolts that hold it on and also a rubber O-ring, Does the O-Ring get replaced or reused?

X2 on reusing as this is the original from my 08 Apex. One thing I will mention when removing the oil pickup screen/eblow would be to disconnect the hose going to it. The pickup screen is rather long and there really isn't a whole lot of slack in that hose connecting to it so when attempting to remove with hose connected, the pickup screen will bend some. Of course, you can straighten back up but now I always disconnect the hose first. ;)!

OilPickUpScreen1.JPG
OilPickUpScreen2.JPG

Back