• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex VS. Crossfire 1000 Results..

welterracer

TY 4 Stroke God
Got to ride a great deal with my buddy and his 2008 Crossfire 1000 this past weekend..(no its not a crossfire R)

My sled 2006 apex Gt, 8400 miles, 113 studs and cobra track, stock engine with slightly lower gearing, his sled 2008 crossfire 1000 with 2000 miles on the sled,it has over 180+ studs and is complety stock.

I have to say.. Im not at all impressed by the sled..

Conditions (rough hardpack snow on a frozen over river)

In a dragrace I would slightly take him out of hole.. and between 20-40mph he jumped back out in front of me (im right at his rear bumper) and he never gained on me and i never gained on him all the way to 90+mph.

From a rolling 50mph start.. I would shoot out in front of him by ALOT 5-6+ lengths (in his words..... You WAXED ME) he claimed i was pulling away at top speed.. there is no contest at this speed as the apexs clutching is spot on and pulls like a freight train..

To be honest i do not have the transfer rod in my sled. so i couldnot completly hammer it from a dead stop or it might flip.. but i would say it gets as good as traction or better than his (he has alot of ski pressure and it doesnt hook that great)

Seat of the pants ride.... My sled feels like it has 50HP on his.. the crossfire is very mushy in its throttle response and feel..

RIDE: Both sleds ride very much the same..i could ride it all day just like my own sled.

HANDLING: I have to say my sled actually handles better than his sled did.. and he has 10" carbides and a ton of ski pressure which in turn caused alot of ski lift in corners..

EXHAUST: man my sled is very loud compared to the crossfire.. you can bearlly hear it running at speed.. my sled is stock and drives me crazy sometimes..

He was getting 12mph and i was averaging 14mpg.. he used very little oil.

My sled starts up every time like new... He would have to pull that big ol 1000 3 times to get started.. the first pull was crazy.. it pulls over like tank. I started it and thought i tore something in my shoulder..

i raced my friend on his 2008 f8 sno pro, he has 144 picks center and out in a cobra track. you can see what i have below.
well anyway we would come out of the even, with me hooked up and steering with my legs. then i would leave him in my snow dust. i thought they were supposed to be fast lol

we had a new 2009 Turbo z1 in our group also.. with 250 studs..

He told me he wouldnt race unless we started at 50mph as the thing spins like it has no studs at all..

He ended up getting run into by my brothers sled on an icy hill and was out for the week.. (caused $3K in damages to it at 2mph)

The 09 Crossfires are pig rich down low. They are a completly different sled with mods. Cat left a ton on the table in stock form with this sled. Stock form and lots of sleds will give them troubles, a few mods, look out.

welterracer said:
Got to ride a great deal with my buddy and his 2008 Crossfire 1000 this past weekend..(no its not a crossfire R)

My sled 2006 apex Gt, 8400 miles, 113 studs and cobra track, stock engine with slightly lower gearing, his sled 2008 crossfire 1000 with 2000 miles on the sled,it has over 180+ studs and is complety stock.

I have to say.. Im not at all impressed by the sled..

Conditions (rough hardpack snow on a frozen over river)

In a dragrace I would slightly take him out of hole.. and between 20-40mph he jumped back out in front of me (im right at his rear bumper) and he never gained on me and i never gained on him all the way to 90+mph.

From a rolling 50mph start.. I would shoot out in front of him by ALOT 5-6+ lengths (in his words..... You WAXED ME) he claimed i was pulling away at top speed.. there is no contest at this speed as the apexs clutching is spot on and pulls like a freight train..

To be honest i do not have the transfer rod in my sled. so i couldnot completly hammer it from a dead stop or it might flip.. but i would say it gets as good as traction or better than his (he has alot of ski pressure and it doesnt hook that great)

Seat of the pants ride.... My sled feels like it has 50HP on his.. the crossfire is very mushy in its throttle response and feel..

RIDE: Both sleds ride very much the same..i could ride it all day just like my own sled.

HANDLING: I have to say my sled actually handles better than his sled did.. and he has 10" carbides and a ton of ski pressure which in turn caused alot of ski lift in corners..

EXHAUST: man my sled is very loud compared to the crossfire.. you can bearlly hear it running at speed.. my sled is stock and drives me crazy sometimes..

He was getting 12mph and i was averaging 14mpg.. he used very little oil.

My sled starts up every time like new... He would have to pull that big ol 1000 3 times to get started.. the first pull was crazy.. it pulls over like tank. I started it and thought i tore something in my shoulder..

get a set of drag n flys and it'll be no contest!

BlueByYou2000 said:
The 09 Crossfires are pig rich down low. They are a completly different sled with mods. Cat left a ton on the table in stock form with this sled. Stock form and lots of sleds will give them troubles, a few mods, look out.

Thanks god my friends dont mod their sleds.. THey just stud and ride them..

welterracer said:
we had a new 2009 Turbo z1 in our group also.. with 250 studs..

He told me he wouldnt race unless we started at 50mph as the thing spins like it has no studs at all..

He ended up getting run into by my brothers sled on an icy hill and was out for the week.. (caused $3K in damages to it at 2mph)

When I was leaving the Coin Lavine in St. Come this weekend a Z1 Turbo pulled up so I walked over to look at it. The guy riding it told me to keep my Yamaha. He traded his Apex in on it and said he has never ridden such a piece of crap in his whole life. That has to suck, dropping 13K and hating it. He said it had plenty of power, the fit and finish was terrible and it rode awful.

The engine is super quit but the turbo shield rattles like hell and is riveted on so you cant tighten it..

The sled rides and handles awsome.. but has too much low end powder to be usefull on wisconsin trails..

He too said the fit and finish of the sled sucks..

Not to mention its a huge piece of brittle plastic that shatters when touched

I have both a 2007 apex gt and a 2008 crossfire 1000. The fit and finish of the yamaha is far superior to the cat.

On groomed trails the acceleration of the apex blows away the cat particularly from a rolling start. I think the main problem however is that the cat has a lot of trouble hooking up. Almost anytime you really nail the throttle even if you are already going 50 miles an hour the track spins like crazy before it hooks up. This really hampers its accleration.
They are vastly different sleds with different target buyers in mind. I bought the cat because yamaha does not really make a good crossover sled. The new xtx is showing promise but has a pitiful range with its puny gas tank.

My biggest gripes about the cat are having to pull start that monster motor and not having an electrical plug for my heated visor.

Gripes with the apex are that it sucks in any kind of powder and I am nervously waiting for the inevitable exhaust issues to occur.

Overall I am very happy with both sleds.

BlueByYou2000 said:

Yep, all they need is a y-pipe and airbox mods and 3 degree timing key and it's pretty fast...

carlsyoung said:
I have both a 2007 apex gt and a 2008 crossfire 1000. The fit and finish of the yamaha is far superior to the cat.

On groomed trails the acceleration of the apex blows away the cat particularly from a rolling start. I think the main problem however is that the cat has a lot of trouble hooking up. Almost anytime you really nail the throttle even if you are already going 50 miles an hour the track spins like crazy before it hooks up. This really hampers its accleration.
They are vastly different sleds with different target buyers in mind. I bought the cat because yamaha does not really make a good crossover sled. The new xtx is showing promise but has a pitiful range with its puny gas tank.

My biggest gripes about the cat are having to pull start that monster motor and not having an electrical plug for my heated visor.

Gripes with the apex are that it sucks in any kind of powder and I am nervously waiting for the inevitable exhaust issues to occur.

Carlsyoung, don't fear the exhaust. I too was concerned..it is a piece of cake job and like Rocker Dan said, it's neat to see how these things are engineered...like an F1 car almost!! I still say, considering the weight, the Apex's are awesome sleds for 90% of the riding. Close to 100% for me, as I'm done breaking trails...gettin too old, did my share...LOL

carlsyoung said:

Cats are easy to install heated shields, there is a plug open behind the gauge panel and another plug by the power valve solenoid.

Back