• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex won't crank and no fuel pump

Did you look at both grounding blocks by the drive clutch? one has a black wires and the other has brown , they are in the same spot in the harness. make sure you remove the little caps, that's the only way to tell if there is trouble , remove the steel bridge and replace it then try starting the sled. Electrical is always fun.

did that, bridges seem good , but there is one thing i suspect is when i jumped pump relay to see if relay work's . could i have caused some damidge in my electrical there??

Swap the relays around by the left foot brace, 2 are the same part nunber. If that doesn't work try jumping power to the pump itself to see if it comes on. Check the fuses on the right side over the brake disk then the 2 fuses by the starter relay, remove them to check, you may see corrosion where they plug in. Are all the connnection hooked back up to the dash and ingnition?
I know you have gone over this pretty well so I'm just thowing things out there, I can't see what you have done so I'm going right from the basics. Keep us informed.

did my homework thank's to you guy's but still no go. i just got back from yamaha , they will check it on friday. oh well i tryed , il'l post when i get the bill lol .

big thank's to ya all.

Ok so yamaha called me a said my ecu is fried so ??? wtf. we odered one on e bay but what tell's me it won't burn again ?

Sounds just like what happened to my 2009 Vector yesterday. Stopped to replace my buddies belt on his Rev, and nothing but a click when turning the key. Had to get it towed like 10 miles. At the dealership today. Just replaced the battery 6 days ago and wonder if this is related. Drove it 200 miles Tuesday and only 100 miles yesterday before it left me 40 miles from home. :o|

I will let you know what I find out.

Oly 16 said:
Hey guys,

I just had this happen to me on the trail while i was doing the RAP Tour. My buddy blew a belt so i stopped and shut off the sled to hepl him replace it. When i went to start up the sled again i got nothing. The dash powered up but no error codes. I could hear one relay clicking but had no fuel pump priming or starter. Luckily where we were we got cell phone service so my buddy looked on the ty4stroke for potenital problems for this issue. We came across this thread tore the sled apart on the trail and sure enough the one grounding block was melted. We took the wires out of the grounding block and grounded them all together using just the metal clip that is part of the plastic grounding block and taped it up with electrical tape. About an hour and we were back on the trail. Thank God for TY4stroke.

Saved the Day and saved my buddy towing me. :rocks: :-o

well as another season approaches and the Apex gets older I thought I'd bring this back to life yet again. I am still getting emails regarding this issue so I still think it's a good place to start looking when unexplained electrical problems show up, and they can be checked and cleaned in about 5 minutes for FREE. Have a great season guys.

Thanks for bringing this up again Duste. I just got my 08 last spring and didn't see this. Something to check. Good info. My wife was from just outside of Antigonish.
Jim
08 APEX

God to know. I had my sled apart 1 month ago I could of check it then.

So what where saying is the corrosion causes lack of connection and then not enough contact is made so it heats up then eventually fails?

Phatboyc said:
God to know. I had my sled apart 1 month ago I could of check it then.

So what where saying is the corrosion causes lack of connection and then not enough contact is made so it heats up then eventually fails?

Exactly, and because it is the ground point for 6 other circuits, it doesn't always give you a trouble code or may give different codes while you are working on it. It drove me a little stupid which is why I put up this post, there's only so much room in the nut house. :o| :o| :o|

i had 2 by the batter on the clutch side and one up by the rubber bag that all the plug ins go in (under the light over the engine) ..mines a 2007 is there more?? ..
mine clicks like a bad solenoid at first sometimes the beeper wouldn't turn on for reverse ..the lights quit working once or twice..the last thing that happened was that the fuel pump wouldn't cycle but the engine cranked...then the fuel pump started to work ..it started and no lights..i put it in reverse till the beeper sounded and the lights came on ..

mark23ca said:
i had 2 by the batter on the clutch side and one up by the rubber bag that all the plug ins go in (under the light over the engine) ..mines a 2007 is there more?? ..
mine clicks like a bad solenoid at first sometimes the beeper wouldn't turn on for reverse ..the lights quit working once or twice..the last thing that happened was that the fuel pump wouldn't cycle but the engine cranked...then the fuel pump started to work ..it started and no lights..i put it in reverse till the beeper sounded and the lights came on ..

Hi, the only 2 I found that seem to be giving trouble are the 2 by the clutch, one has 7 black wires and one has seven brown wires , both look the same and have the same steel "bridge" under the black cover which is where they tend to rust. Yours definitely has different problems than normal, almost sounds like there is a short somewhere in the reverse wiring maybe? Try unplugging the reverse beeper and see where that goes. There is also the starter relay by the battery with 2 blade fuses that tend to corrode pretty bad as well as where the wires are screwed the relay.
Good luck with her and let us know what the trouble was when you find it.

Jim

duste said:
mark23ca said:

Hi, the only 2 I found that seem to be giving trouble are the 2 by the clutch, one has 7 black wires and one has seven brown wires , both look the same and have the same steel "bridge" under the black cover which is where they tend to rust. Yours definitely has different problems than normal, almost sounds like there is a short somewhere in the reverse wiring maybe? Try unplugging the reverse beeper and see where that goes. There is also the starter relay by the battery with 2 blade fuses that tend to corrode pretty bad as well as where the wires are screwed the relay.
Good luck with her and let us know what the trouble was when you find it.

Jim
well i did fix the two by the clutch one was just slighty discolored less less shinny ..looked like it had been primed with gray primer in spots.. of course it hadn't but thats what it looked like and i fixed the spot up by the secondary ..i checked the plug in and fused by the battery and they seemed fine..i will greesed them tho keeps the moisture out ..my battery is week its 3 years old and its a nappa ..in the past i've only gotten a year out of these little nappa batteries ..i'm on my third in this sled..i'll post pics if i can find it my garage is a mess..maybe the alluminum is shrinking ..maybe the problem is in the other ground blocks ..first time the lights went out was 5 years ago and hasn't done it since this last episode

well here is what i found today ..the green 40 amp fuse was black and green (tarnished) hard to tell cause the fuse is green itself .. i found more ground blocks and they are place in the wettest place on my sled right up front under the battery and behind a black cover (removed in the picture) with philiips heads on it ..also to get at you have to unbolt that expensive black box that bolts to the bottom of your battery tray ..i'm pretty sure they are grounds as they have that same alluminiu 6 pronged pile of junk in them ..i just am going to fix one with brown wires as the rest are clean just need greased and taped up good..i think a combination of all these things should be my problems...i had the sled in the heated garage till a few days ago full of snow ..brought it out in the cold and thats when the trouble started ..wet ice does not make a good connection

Attachments

• bad fusesSCF2716.gif
    bad fusesSCF2716.gif
    317.3 KB · Views: 540

Back