• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ARE YOU READY!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 200
Rumor over on HCS is that Cat has terminated its relationship with Suzuki.

I'm pretty sure the Cat - Zuki "parting of ways" thing was a done deal two years ago. MY16 was the last year for Zuki engines in Cat's.

Dear Yamaha,

I am free on March 1st to come test ride ALL the 2017 sled's! I'm fine with cheap hotels, buying my own gas and eating gas station pizza for dinner.

Yours truly,
Northernsledder

Dude, I'm with ya....

Maybe something like this

That and like Grimm's avatar pic, open engine, small, lightweight and man would that be fun with a shifter and hand clutch.

R1 crossplane with high rpm and a lakerunner, steering position is low and not filmed up in the mountain. :)

I do not think that it will be a large displacement engine in this "new" sled. Over on Sled Talk, Chris replied to a rider wishing to replace his Apex for a lighter version with equal power, his answer was, "I don’t know if we will have the right machine to fit your needs." That tells me that there will be no redesigned Apex or similarly powered sled this year.

Wrong :D If the 4 syl is used in a snowmobile it requires a reduction gear between the crank and clutch. This makes it heavier and wider... And more rotating mass thats sucks hp and fuel :)

I said it was heavier by a few pounds but its dimensions are smaller by those who have measured it and posted on here and even if it was wider by and inch I can't see it as a problem. 4 making 163hp NA compared to the 3 making 130 NA, I'm not worried about rotating mass as it just doesn't matter and if you talk about turbo charging the three there went your weight savings.

Turbo? It all depends that Yamaha's target rider markets are? For the masses...trail riders like me.....I don't want a turbo (something else to go wrong and be expensive to fix) and I'd bet the masses don't want it either.

The 4 cylinder coss plane engine has a 16 valve head, so I think a lighter valvetrain and camshaft would make any crankshaft/countershaft weight increase negligible.

I'm not sure about the new 998 triple, but the 973 and 1050 triples all have counterbalance shafts. I've heard no complaints about the added weight or any loss of power from the extra rotating mass in these engines.

I'm a 4 cylinder guy, but I'm also getting older and more set in my ways. I know these new triples are awesome, and if they power all the new high performance sleds, I'm good with that! They will be awesome, no doubt!

I don't like the sound of the three and if that's all that Yamaha builds I can't see any reason to trade up. Just buy a 2016 Apex and ride it till it drops and that would be a long time from now. The four works as a NA engine with no problems on regular or premium makes enough hp to take on anything out there, so why go to a three that needs a turbo to make hp? Turbo needs Premium and should one mention voids warranty! How is that better?

Turbo? It all depends that Yamaha's target rider markets are? For the masses...trail riders like me.....I don't want a turbo (something else to go wrong and be expensive to fix) and I'd bet the masses don't want it either.
N/A is always preferred, as you can still boost on top of it then, but ultimately I don't care as long as it has big power!

View attachment 115810 It's got 2 skis and a seat, hopefully it's not just a trail machine. I'm really wanting to buy something new this spring and it has too be able to ride off trail and in the mountains

I don't think wishing for a trail machine or an off trail machine is worth even talking about. If Yamaha follows the past and the OEM's, they will build a chassis around an engine platform, then convert it to trail, crossover and mountain as they have in the past. Yamaha has always been known to be cyclical in their releases as well. Last year was the year of the mountain versions of the Vipers released the previous couple years.

That would mean, we may see a new trail sled "platform" that will then have mountain versions in the years to come. Who knows, It may be in the first year as well. But we all know that it will revolve around tunnel/skid/track/clutching and possibly a turbo option for altitude. But still based on the same platform. just like AC, BRB and Doo are doing now. Axys one year, RMK based on that Axys chassis the following year. MXZ-X one year and Renegade, Summit the following year on that chassis.

It's just a guess based on previous experience. But folks are right on with this video. It's too much teaser footage for BNG! This reminds me of Spring 2006 when the phazer was teased to us! WOO WOO!!

Right on!

N/A is always preferred, as you can still boost on top of it then, but ultimately I don't care as long as it has big power!

I think you make a good point here. Is it more responsible of an OEM to offer moderate, stable, power and allow the power users to boost it if they so desire? Let's be realistic with what we are asking for from Yamaha. As much as I love my Apex and it's stock power, for as many that want more power, there are twice as many that it is too much power. (I bite my tongue saying that) but putting out a monster engine that is not stable, or may show a hint of unreliability is just not responsible. To top that, it may not be responsible putting that power in the hands of average buyers. Think of how many folks have asked to ride your Apex and you just sat back and said, nah, maybe another time.

Please flame away, but here is the best analogy. Dodge selling the Charger with the Hellcat motor. $65K list. How many idiots can scratch up $65k that should not be driving 700hp. TONS OF IDIOTS!!

There are plenty of sled idiots that should not be buying a 200hp sled as well. Many will not if it is not offered by the OEM as they have no clue how to boost a sled. Maybe I am making a gross generalization, but I think Yamaha had the right idea by offering a factory approved, third party boost option as they have. And maybe they were testing the waters before offering an MPI equipped turbo from the factory. I am still watching how the 2016 Vipers with Turbo debacle pans out. As I still smell guinea pig.

Again, I am open to flaming, as I will never turn away more power. Let's be honest, it's not that we want a ton of power, we just want a little more than the guys we ride with. Call me an idiot, but my Apex XTX has plenty of power. More than I have the balls to use in many situations.

It's too much teaser footage for BNG! This reminds me of Spring 2006 when the phazer was teased to us! WOO WOO!!

I was thinking the same thing. Just need Jimmy Blaze there to see his reaction to Yamaha uncovering the sled. When the Phazer was released, I thought it was going to be an awesome and fun sled to run the trails and off trail, unfortunately weak handling and lack of updates kind of killed sales over time. The riding position exuded the look of a motorcross bike. If Yamaha had spent more time updating it over the years, ie. more power, better handling, etc., then they could have had a real success.

Back