• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bad Oil leak - Mystery solved

That is the coolant line for the oil cooler. Somehow oil getting on it is confusing??
Yup brain fart sorry.what about the mtg bolt for the oil cleaner/cooler being loose(think they have locking tabs?) but it’s a thought,another thing to check

Found it! This was tricky as heck!! Started by getting the sled up in the air so I could see better.

1ED6A189-898B-4199-974A-6164D22C120C.jpeg
Then started following the dye trails.
1FD9EF90-33DE-45D5-939A-17C8162ED601.jpeg

48023E94-FC62-470B-A1E0-A94D449D918E.jpeg

Then it led to two bolts that looked like they were leaking on the oil pan gasket. Then the large allen screws. Remember this wouldn’t happen at idle so I had to rev it for a little bit then go underneath and try to find where the oil came out of. One time I reved it a little too high and looked underneath her I swear I saw some oil spraying. I had to have my daughter come out and hold the throttle in a little bit and sure enough from behind the water pump it was spraying oil the more RPMs the more it would spray.

That means motor has to come out. :o|:(:die

Thanks all for the tips!!!

Congratulations, both on finding the leak and maintaining your composure ... not all do around here.

Trying to decide what to do, if I go through the work to pull the engine (and MPI supercharger, which is a 3 hr install to align the pullies!) I feel like I should go through the motor a little. Check it all out. I have a trip on 21st where I had a friend coming to ride from Cali is coming in and interested in the sport. I don't think I can get it out and checked over before then. If it was summer it would be easier to just pull it out and go through the sled and chassis and maybe even twin charge the sled (something I have been considering) with my left over impulse turbo kit. Not sure what I will do.

Probably a dumb idea but has anyone used a product like stop leak? I have always been hesitant to use such things. Be great if it worked for the one trip then I could disassemble in the summer.

Not sure what kind of a stop leak there is for oil leaks but if there is I would NEVER recommend using any such product. Imagine what other little oil passages could get restricted!

It’s an o-ring. Just heading into a meeting but will send you some better information in a couple hours. Pretty sure I have a water pump in shop that I can snap a few pics of.

The part number for the o-ring was 93210-386A6. It supersedes to 93210-38516-00. There is a groove in the crank case for the o-ring to sit in (see pics), but nothing on the pump itself. Hopefully these pics/part#'s help you out.
RX1 Engine Re-build 052.jpg
block1.jpg
pump.jpg
pump.jpg

Attachments

• pump2.jpg
    pump2.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 90
Unfortunately, the only way to repair this is to pull the engine. On the plus side, you don't have to break it down much to replace the o-ring. I'd pull the oil pan off, then tug the water pump off. Pretty sure you know this already, but there is a gear on the spline shaft of the water pump that you need to hold in place while the pump is being re-installed. put some oil on the o-ring and mating surface of the pump then slide it in, re-install oil pan, and you're good to go. Kind of like this:

d6d.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure on your mileage but while your in there might want to change ypur oil pump / water pump chain. Mine fell off gear at 27, 000 kms when i flopped sle on its side
There is no tensioner for that chain. Its $18. You will need to pull the PTO though.
While I was in there I changed coolant hoses under engine and the one that runs just under exhaust as well. They were kind of spongey from age. Mine is a 2006 RTX. I did coolant pipe orings as well that go through valve cover

Took me 5. 5 hours out, and about 9 back in, unheated garage no air tools. Mark all the wiring well. there are some connectors that will interchange

Back