• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn find , where do I start

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2009 Apex ltx gt
First post, and thank you for allowing me to the forum . There’s enough info to keep me reading for awhile , but figured I’d throw this question out there.

I picked up a 2009 apex ltx gt with 114 miles (no i didn’t forget zero). It was a 65 yr old gentlemen who bought it new, stored it in barn and never used. He used stabil every year and fresh gas . Started up great and idles great.

I plan on changing oil ( not sure on filter) and gear case oil . Would you bother changing plugs , or coolant and oil filter.Anything I’m missing? Going to remove gas and freshen up just in case.

Great find, I would not do plugs IF starts and runs fine- its a four stroke so ‘plugs’ are not at all what they were on the older 2 strokes. Think car plugs. Like you stated new fuel, make sure chain case is lubed, should ‘age’ if still looks good not sure I can see a point in changing. Grease the chassis really well. There are many on here who will be more technical and better sources than I .

I would take a good look at bearings, especially the driveshaft clutch side and idlers. Those seals usually let some water in and that may have been sitting and rusting. You may be good with such low miles but I would definitely spin the idlers and pull the shield off of the driveshaft bearing to get a good look to be safe.

Other than that, do a fluid change and ride it! As paradise said a battery might be a good idea. I just never charge mine, I figure if it made it though the summer without losing any charge and it starts the sled in the fall when I pull it out of the trailer it's good. If it doesn't or cranks slow I throw a new one in it.

Great find.

Thanks for the replies , will definitely take the recommendations.

I have the owners manual already , do they make a good shop manual for reference

Don't do the filter now, do it when the break in is done. Be prepared to have the belt fail in a big hurry.

"Barn find, where do I start" ... on TY of course. Welcome.

First post, and thank you for allowing me to the forum . There’s enough info to keep me reading for awhile , but figured I’d throw this question out there.

I picked up a 2009 apex ltx gt with 114 miles (no i didn’t forget zero). It was a 65 yr old gentlemen who bought it new, stored it in barn and never used. He used stabil every year and fresh gas . Started up great and idles great.

I plan on changing oil ( not sure on filter) and gear case oil . Would you bother changing plugs , or coolant and oil filter.Anything I’m missing? Going to remove gas and freshen up just in case.

Chek the 40a fuses next to the battery for corrosion on the wire. I'd replace them as it's cheap--40a female cartridge fuse low profile.

New battery but upgrade it to higher cca--Interstate FAYTX20H 310cca.

-Clean starter contact. Can put on dielectric grease.

-Put in synthetic oil. Many use Yamalube. I run Amsoil 4-stroke 0w40.

-Solid-state relays (in front of left shin) -Yamaha part 8GN-81950-00. Need 3.

-Search the forums for catman suspension setup

-Check the carbides

-Grease everything and check for proper operation. Make sure a-arms aren't stiff after lubing.

-As said before bearings. Check and lube them all. Rust or not smooth=replace.

-Find, study, and always reference the service manual. Also has all the torque specs, what to grease/lube with oil/loctite/replace after disassembly (seals, washers, etc).

-Use the right size screwdriver bit for body and windshield screws. Be gentle with windshield screws if you ever have to remove it. You can remove the headlight cluster without removing the windshield from the headlight pod.

-Take your time, read the service manual front to back.

-Rox 3.5in pivoting riser works with stock cables. Gets bars off of your thighs.

-Dupont slides are the way to go. I got over 8k on my last set and I rip iced roads without scratchers. Run track a bit loose.

-Snowtrackers aggressive carbides are amazing.

Thanks for the replies , will definitely take the recommendations.

I have the owners manual already , do they make a good shop manual for reference
If you become a VIP member on this site you can get an online service manual Link sent to you.

As nice of a perk it is to have access to the service manual if you become a VIP member on this forum, becoming a VIP member also supports the TY forum and ensures it will be around for years to come; at least that is how I view my VIP membership. The knowledge and assistance from the TY members you will receive when you need help will pale in comparison to what any service manual can provide. ;)!

Can’t improve on what BryKlu said. X2

Thanks for the responses. Good thing I have a month or two before the snow flies in Massachusetts/ New Hampshire .

going to take my time and go through sled . Good way to learn my way around it.

Riding clue .... learn to use / ‘like’ your compression braking... meaning some think they can just let go of the throttle at speed - like a 2stroke and cost- but on a 4 stroke the sled essentially hits the brakes, weight shifts to the skis and gets light/loose on the rear end. Think manual transmission and the compression resistance in lower gears.
I like a it and use my brakes less and set the weight on the skis as I enter corners by this controlled deceleration. I have found those who have driven manual transmissions know it and like it. ENJOY

Back