• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What The @#$% Now?

How hard is it to slip that chain back onto the sprocket of the gear reduction?

Good question I think I would put the chain on the gear reduction and then try to drop it in the crankcase when installing. Once in, you can get the gear and installed when you install the water pump, that is easy to do reaching in when the pan is off.

Put that YC on! You're only young once! :)

I believe just torqued. I did see a few bolts that had thread sealer on them.
Lock-tite or thread sealer for coolant or oil? Seen this in the automotive world. If sealer on threads I would clean them and reapply new sealer.

Last edited:
Could you contact rxrider for advice on the chain? He seems to have rebuilt many motor over the years !

I got the gaskets that I needed so I removed the oil pan today and found what I was hoping not to find, metal shavings. Metal shaving in the oil tank as well and in the pickup of the oil pump.
Cut the filter open with a chisel and tin snips. Lots of shavings on the outside part of the filter but non on the inside of the filter pleats.
Now the big question. Do I trust that the filter got it all ? I can use the oil pump from my old engine as I know the shaving got into there. Does any know how the oil gets pumped thru the system? Is unfiltered oil pumped to the tank?

20200322_110855.jpg
20200322_110908.jpg
20200322_115230.jpg
20200322_115248.jpg
20200322_112918(0).jpg
20200322_120132.jpg

Just a guess but pulls from oil pan sump then pulls from oil tank sends to crank bearings and up to cams. And followers.Gear reduction chain probably gets splash down from top. As well as timing chain. Not familiar with these motors yet but does the timing chain tensioner also get oil pressure to take up the slack?

Everything going into the engine would be filtered coming from the oil in the tank, then returned to the tank unfiltered, the pick up filter stops the bigger pieces, it is possible that your oil filter built pressure because of the metal pieces became restricted and the filter safty bypass opened, so unfiltered oil was pumped throughout your engine, that is possibly why you have shavings laying on the pan and in your tank.

Took the oil pump apart. It has two pumps. Looks like one does the engine and the other pumps oil to the tank. Not 100% sure tho. Looking at the pleats of the oil filter it was not plugged up. I am not finding any shavings on the flat areas where stuff can get hung up on in the lower half of the crankcase. I found no shavings in and around the gear reduction area. Rinsed the oil tank out 3 times now and still getting shavings out.

The outer pleats of the filter that are shown in your picture, that's a lot of material collected on the pleats and I suspect you cannot see all of it where it is so small, this maybe why you don't see anything in the inner pleats of the filter the safety by pass opened, if material is in your tank then it had to pass through your engine to get back to the tank I suspect, that means the shavings are through out your engine, I could be wrong though.

Pull a rod or main bearing cap also cam cover, if no scoring you should be ok. Filter is there to catch metal, that is why break in oils is usually changed at 500 miles to get a new clean filter and fresh oil. IMHO

Figured out the oil route. Oil pump is two pumps in one. Pump 1 picks up oil from the pan and sends it to the oil tank. Pump 2 is fed from the oil tank and sends oil to the cooler and then to the filter.
Took the mag side cover off. I figured this would be the place if any to find a boat load of shavings. Found none.

Figured out the oil route. Oil pump is two pumps in one. Pump 1 picks up oil from the pan and sends it to the oil tank. Pump 2 is fed from the oil tank and sends oil to the cooler and then to the filter.
Took the mag side cover off. I figured this would be the place if any to find a boat load of shavings. Found none.
Well if that is the oil flow path, then best to check the oil cooler. If the oil goes to the cooler before the filter, and the filter had filings, then a very good chance the cooler is contaminated as well.

Yup. I will rinse out the cooler. Still have to find a good way to get the oil tank clean on the inside.
What if you placed a magnetic pickup tool in the fill hole and sealed with electrical putty and used solvent in the tank. Shaking the tank around with solvent in it should allow the metal particles to stick to the magnet and hopefully the non-magnetic particles will simply flush out when the solvent is dumped. Once the tank is dried, a little light air blow should get the rest. .........just my latest crazy idea...........

Back