• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Chain Tension Solution

Had sight window on 2012 till 2017 never lost a sight window, or problems with chain tension. Same chain case.

Are just going to measure the rotation of the secondary clutch back and forth at x number of turns out of chain adjuster with the park brake set?
Pretty simple to do.

I tried that this season with my chain stretcher. I had 3/16” play after my 1 turn out adjustment, and still had that same 3/16” 800 miles later when I checked my adjustment bolt and found it at 2.5 turns out!

I guess the way I was checking it, which was simply checking free play back and forth was just checking the spring tensioner. Doesn’t matter where the bolt is when just using my method.

But when on the trail and grabbing some brake, now it matters where that bolt is to reduce chain slap as I will call it.

So what I am saying is that if you try that method you should probably experiment with chaincase cover off and see just how much force it will take to really see or measure where your bolt is at. Just moving it gently side to side just checks the chain tensioner spring is my guess? See what I mean?

I tried that this season with my chain stretcher. I had 3/16” play after my 1 turn out adjustment, and still had that same 3/16” 800 miles later when I checked my adjustment bolt and found it at 2.5 turns out!

I guess the way I was checking it, which was simply checking free play back and forth was just checking the spring tensioner. Doesn’t matter where the bolt is when just using my method.

But when on the trail and grabbing some brake, now it matters where that bolt is to reduce chain slap as I will call it.

So what I am saying is that if you try that method you should probably experiment with chaincase cover off and see just how much force it will take to really see or measure where your bolt is at. Just moving it gently side to side just checks the chain tensioner spring is my guess? See what I mean?

I know exactly what you mean. It also doesnt take into account upper gear bushing wear.
As of now I open my chain case up every 2500 miles and remove gears and chain and inspect bushing.
My last upper gear was shot at 2500 miles. It was set to spec of one and half turns when installed 2500 miles ago and was at 2 turns when I removed it. Lube level was above site glass. 2 bottles of yamaha chaincase lube.

I know exactly what you mean. It also doesnt take into account upper gear bushing wear.
As of now I open my chain case up every 2500 miles and remove gears and chain and inspect bushing.
My last upper gear was shot at 2500 miles. It was set to spec of one and half turns when installed 2500 miles ago and was at 2 turns when I removed it. Lube level was above site glass. 2 bottles of yamaha chaincase lube.

Not too bad for 2500 miles in my book.
Can’t wait to see what kind of innovative idea Travis come up with. I’m thinking whole new design which will get rid of that spring and bolt, maybe even the roller. But your guess is as good as mine at this point!

Have to cut costs to satisfy the bean counters.

Deleting the sight glass is hardly an upgrade, it’s more like a cost saving measure.
I personally like the convenience. We have sight glasses on literally hundreds of gearboxes around our facility, I have never heard of a failure. Cheap pos, fix the issue.
That would be like selling vehicles without a radio because some of them stop working.

My new truck has no dipstick to check the transmission fluid! Really?

I’m beginning too think they want them too fail!

My sight glass did fall into the chain case on my 18 that I bought new.
First ride.

My sight glass did fall into the chain case on my 18 that I bought new.
First ride.
Was alone on my way home. Had to walk as it wouldn't stay in forward and snow was too deep to backup without getting stuck.

My problem with the tensioner had also been that it does not stay where I set it for many miles, thus extra distance from tensioner to Locking bolt between checks. And that creates damage to the interior of the chain case where the chain rubs and slaps, especially with a small diameter stock 21T. So that’s why My thoughts were in that direction on your upcoming “Chain Tension Solution”.
New chain for me next year with now under 7K for total mileage and over 5k on same 22T.

My problem with the tensioner had also been that it does not stay where I set it for many miles, thus extra distance from tensioner to Locking bolt between checks. And that creates damage to the interior of the chain case where the chain rubs and slaps, especially with a small diameter stock 21T. So that’s why My thoughts were in that direction on your upcoming “Chain Tension Solution”.
New chain for me next year with now under 7K for total mileage and over 5k on same 22T.

How much gap have you been running between tensioner and bolt? How many miles between checks?

I see what your saying, I adjust till tight back off one ,never had a problem, grab secondary you can feel how tight/play. Did this when cover was off just to see, looked good. Maybe you have to have some mechanical feel and don’t overthink it.

I put 2500 miles on my 2019 XTX this year
-16oz premium chain lube
-chain tension set to factory specs and adjusted every 600-700 miles after initial 1000 miles adjustment seemed very consistent will little need to adjust
-21 tooth top gear

Here's what my top gear bushing looks like after 2500 miles

bushing.png

There was actually fine brass particals from the bushing on the backside of the top gear

How much gap have you been running between tensioner and bolt? How many miles between checks?

Bought my 17 LTX-LE brand new through the Spring Surge program back then.
Went by the book at first with the 1.5 from finger tight. Found that when I ride my way (semi aggressive- aggressive), chain was stretching to around 2.5 - 3 turns out per 1000 miles or under. Found lots of chain rub damage when that loose chain occurred back then, so after tuning and adding a 22T, that initial damage was deep enough to now allow some chain looseness without any newer damage to internals. So I have been at just a touch more then 1 turn out for the past 5500 miles or so. Some have mentioned that the Yamaha small top gear and larger bottom gear does not allow for much chaincase to loose chain clearance when compared to stock Cat gearing. I agree.
So to answer your question, about 1 turn out and every 1000 miles or so!

I have checked that bolt free play and it seems like at about 1 1/8 turns from finger tight gives it very little distance from the bolt without actually touching. So that is where I leave mine. Heck with how much stretch I get, after first ride-it will be at 1.5 out!

Buddies 17 RTX -LE did the exact same as mine with a new chain. he also installed the 22T on his tuned sled.

Here is my observation. With the cover off, hand tightening takes the slack out of the chain. Loosening 1.5 turns allows the spring to hold in the excess chain(slack) during forward motion (load). When you decelerate the chain pushes the roller up against the tensioner screw limiting the slack on the unloaded(opposite) side of the chain. none of this should cause failure of a bushing that is held static unless in reverse. I agree with the thought that the wobble in the bushing causes wear. Out of the three sleds in my group, only mine has not failed. I am the adjuster of all three. As a 30 year Cat man I have to admit that cat tolerances have always been poor compared to Yamaha. Where the research needs to look, is at the diameter of the right side jackshaft mating surface with the bushing. If too tight, they will wear out in reverse. if too loose, the reverse gear will un-mesh and bur the gear, and not reengage. I think between sled to sled variances in shaft diameters and wear in the gears is the culprit. My solution has been a new top gear every season. Cat gear is under $40.us. As I finish this too long post(sorry). We know how to properly adjust chains for the most part. It's poor design, just for the sake of push button reverse. Something to better hold the two gears together is the answer. That and proper QC from Cat. Spaceman

Back