• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Barn of Parts Chain Tension Solution

They could fix it with a new gear that is much wider. There is room there. Another idea would be a shaft that is about 1/2 larger in diameter. Or both.
Who knows, they haven't changed it by now, maybe a whole new chaincase is on its way.
Looking forward to seeing the BOP tensioner.

I highly doubt there is a new chaincase coming this year as it should of been announced with the spring program to get more sales.
Maybe Travis can get a deal on a purchase of a couple thousand 2021 sleds , and do all the required upgrades , and we can buy our Yamaha's from him !!!!!!
Which of those 2 options do you think is most likely ?

Last edited:

How about a full BOP upgrade service for a dropped off sled.

I highly doubt there is a new chaincase coming this year as it should of been announced with the spring program to get more sales.
Maybe Travis can get a deal on a purchase of a couple thousand 2021 sleds , and do all the required upgrades , and we can buy our Yamaha's from him !!!!!!
Which of those 2 options do you think is most likely ?
I was thinking the next model year.

How about a full BOP upgrade service for a dropped off sled.

Maybe he could be a Yamaha service only dealer, get this $hit covered under warranty!

COOL! I could get 1000-2500 miles on my chain in the 300hp apex and my riding style before it would stretch to the point where it would stand out straight when holding, this is a WAY better way to check durability and how far it stretches and catch it sooner or not replace it as often as I was. Love it!

There you go thinking again Travis!! :D Let us know when you have something for sale. I personally am not having issues but I'd still like to try this idea. Thank you.

I'd probably be in for one as well.

I'm going to change my screen name to TTMM, Travis take my money.

I must be missing the advantage of this gauge when compared to how I check my chain tension now, whereas as of now I must take my muffler off to check my chain stretch, same with your gauge ? and by simply backing off the tensioner bolt lock nut, and then simply turning the bolt in to see where it’s at!
I mean no steps saved by taking your end cap/bolt out and installing your gauge, and if it needs adjustment like mine always does, now you’ve added steps! So unless I am missing something, probably not for me. Yep, I may be a bit thick headed sometimes I guess, but as I have said, long mileage without having to adjust a loose chain can prove to be a big problem for many including me.

I must be missing the advantage of this gauge when compared to how I check my chain tension now, whereas as of now I must take my muffler off to check my chain stretch, same with your gauge ? and by simply backing off the tensioner bolt lock nut, and then simply turning the bolt in to see where it’s at!
I mean no steps saved by taking your end cap/bolt out and installing your gauge, and if it needs adjustment like mine always does, now you’ve added steps! So unless I am missing something, probably not for me. Yep, I may be a bit thick headed sometimes I guess, but as I have said, long mileage without having to adjust a loose chain can prove to be a big problem for many including me.

It is not intended to eliminate steps. My goal was consistent tension setting with out taking cover off. I consider myself somewhat experienced, and even I have a sense of uncertainty when I set it.

My machinist sent some pics of my samples today. I should have them in hand next week! I went with 1/16” increments on the depth guage rod.

D0FE69DD-AC22-4B74-8E72-91DE6A74FB80.jpeg
EA824902-5745-4B35-98EF-AB3053F3CB1F.jpeg

What ever happened to just grabbing the secondary clutch and rocking fwd and back to see how much play you have in your chain?
Measure it one time when chaincase is apart and check without taking anything apart.

It is not intended to eliminate steps. My goal was consistent tension setting with out taking cover off. I consider myself somewhat experienced, and even I have a sense of uncertainty when I set it.

I have used you for quite a few of your innovative components, and used Yamaha parts, and will continue to do so. So please don’t get me wrong with my previous comments. It’s just the way I feel about this one, that’s all! Many will like and use it, I am sure. Thanks

I have used you for quite a few of your innovative components, and used Yamaha parts, and will continue to do so. So please don’t get me wrong with my previous comments. It’s just the way I feel about this one, that’s all! Many will like and use it, I am sure. Thanks

No worries...no offense taken!

Back