• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

battery ?

ericmichael

Expert
Hey guys, I was riding the other night and the nytro for the first time was turning over slower and slower throughout the night after shutting it off but it always started..anyway I went out the next morn and it turned over a few times and then acted like a dead battery..the sled is in my buddies garage thats where I left it, it showed code 81 but I believe a few other codes showed up also...the sled would run with the jumper cables hooked up but the second you let them off the screen would cut out and it would idle bad then quit. Is this the battery or a short? Assuming its the battery, can I get one of those at napa for cheaper than the yamaha ones?

You might want to hook up a meter and check the battery and charging system, first.
I remember reading that someone was having a problem with their charging system under a load(heavy draw).

If the sled stops running when you disconnect the jumper cables the problem may be a bad relay, ECU or stator failing to provide juice to the system. When the engine is running it doesn't need the battery to continue running. In your case it seems the electrical system is not producing (or transmitting) its own power.

I believe it's the battery. Try using a smart charger, it'll probably show that it can't charge it.

Don't skimp on buying a cheap battery, you'll probably regret it.

Btw, do you have any additional electrical load on your system such as GPS, Yamaheater, temp gage, etc.?

First check your connections to ensure they arent loose. Check your battery (load test) and then your charging system.

Grimm said:
I believe it's the battery. Try using a smart charger, it'll probably show that it can't charge it.

Don't skimp on buying a cheap battery, you'll probably regret it.

Btw, do you have any additional electrical load on your system such as GPS, Yamaheater, temp gage, etc.?

Nothing additional grimm. I believe it could be the battery. I'll let you guys know when I get a new one. When the cables were hooked up it showed no codes and ran fine but the second I d/c them it popped etc. and died. It will turn the fan on and dash lights thats about it. Like I said, the night before it seemed the sled was starting (turning over) harder and harder each time..like a dead battery. The next morn, it turned over and then clicked...the fuel pump would only click it wouldn't fully open.

enticeraised said:
First check your connections to ensure they arent loose. Check your battery (load test) and then your charging system.

Connections are good..the sled is about 25 miles from my house so I can't check the battery or anyhting until my next day off. I just replaced the starter relay assembly so thats all good. i'm hoping its the battery.

With a multi-meter do i test it in the ohm position? or volt?what am i looking for here..i'm good with mechanics but when it comes to electricity I slept in that class..thanks guys

I would think that its not your battery and more along the lines of a bad stator. As new as your sled/battery are you shouldnt be having these problems. As Arteeex said your sled should run without the battery.

My battery had discharged previously a couple of times and I was able to put a smart charger on it to charge it up. I was able to start the sled a few times while in the garage, but left overnight, the charge was lost.

I had checked the voltage and it was at about 14 volts running, but shutting the sled off, the battery would only have about 10 volts.

Afterwards, the battery wasn't able to take a charge and I replaced it with an Odyssey battery.

I mentioned the temp gage earlier in this thread because I believe this was the culprit sapping the battery's strength. I had it hard wired to the positive end of the battery initially and apparently there is a relay in the gage that was sucking power. I ended up hooking it up to the key switch for power and haven't had a problem since.

ericmichael said:
With a multi-meter do i test it in the ohm position? or volt?what am i looking for here..i'm good with mechanics but when it comes to electricity I slept in that class..thanks guys

Do you have a Nytro manual and a multimeter?

Check battery at rest with the multimeter. It should be more than 12 volts at room temp. Next, start machine. Run it at around 5000rpm. It should be at 14 volts (check on the battery posts again). Next, check the stator. Pull three prong plug when engine shut off. Check Stator coil resistance. 0.22- 0.28 (white-white) ohms at room temperature.

enticeraised said:
Check battery at rest with the multimeter. It should be more than 12 volts at room temp. Next, start machine. Run it at around 5000rpm. It should be at 14 volts (check on the battery posts again). Next, check the stator. Pull three prong plug when engine shut off. Check Stator coil resistance. 0.22- 0.28 (white-white) ohms at room temperature.

Thanks, i'll let you knwo what i find, and yes i have both. Wheres the stator located?

Back