• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Spindles?

yamahaboy701

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
While working on my sled the other day a few of my buddies noticed that my spindles were not straight. Both of them look like they are pushed out where the lower a-arm connects. Are they supposed to have a little arch to them or are they supposed to be straight up and down. Hard to see in picture but red lines indicate what side of the spindle I am talking about.

Attachments

• Spindles.jpg
    Spindles.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 122

you might have not spun the joints on the same level...i.e. could be something you caused on the re-install...

from teh pic, it appears the right side is out further on the top...so you can play with this for differing types of pressure from your skiis...

I will get a better picture tonight. Right now when I put a straight edge on it the top is about 1/16 to 1/8 in (towards the sled) father from the bottoms.

Can you adjust the camber (upper A-Arm) to fix it?
I'd highly doubt a stock spindle would bend...something else will bend first.
Looks like just needs some adjustment from here.

I was also wondering if there is a way to adjust the camber???? I did slightly bend one of these spindles due to Yamaha not tighening the top a arm bolt when it was new. It is now replaced.

I do not see a way to adjust the camber but both of my spindles are defiantly bent. Took the whole front end apart tonight and one is really bad and the other is just slightly bent.

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01772.jpg
[/quote]

I just got in from the shop and this is what i found. That takes alot of force to bend it like that. I think it has to do more then just the camber doesn't it?

DSC05639.jpg

DSC05641.jpg

How do your skis sit?

I have one new Spindle and the other old one is straight. It has a brand new subframe and I dont really care how the skis are cambered. Any ideas?

Oh and one other thing Yamahaboy you are holding over $500 dollars retail in your hands! That is crazy!!!!!!!!

One other question have you had ball joint issues? I had a loose bolt and the bumps slamming it while loose bent mine so I was wondering if ball joints got sloppy, same concept?

Well hard to say. Both of my lower a-arms are bent. I am going on a trip this weekend so I will just have to run with the bent spindles, bent subframe and new/used a-arms.

take it to a shop, and have them press them...might be able to bend them back a little...that takes and insane amount of force!!!!

YamaMTX said:
Oh and one other thing Yamahaboy you are holding over $500 dollars retail in your hands! That is crazy!!!!!!!!

One other question have you had ball joint issues? I had a loose bolt and the bumps slamming it while loose bent mine so I was wondering if ball joints got sloppy, same concept?

Before the season I had all the ball joints replaced on the front end under my YES warranty. I can tell the difference in wear in the ball joints between the two sides. The spindle that is bent more ball joints are a lot looser then the other side.

They just about had to be machined that way i don't the the snowmobile could put enough force on them to bend them like that.

Back