• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Spindles?

mtdream said:
take it to a shop, and have them press them...might be able to bend them back a little...that takes and insane amount of force!!!!

I have a press but am afraid of breaking them and not bending them or would it be ok to put a few tons of force on them?

Here are some better pics:

Right Side
DSC01767.jpg

Left Side
DSC01771.jpg

yamahaboy701 said:
mtdream said:
take it to a shop, and have them press them...might be able to bend them back a little...that takes and insane amount of force!!!!

I have a press but am afraid of breaking them and not bending them or would it be ok to put a few tons of force on them?

I wouldn't think you would have to use much if the sled bent them, if you think about it.

i only see 2 busch lite cans in the back ground... you havent been wrenching nearly long enough tonight to get the press out yet... :)

I am with ust421... the force it would have taken to bend that would have done way more damage to other things... not entirely convinced it was all caused by damage.

Juat a thought but did you have them powder coated? Maybe the heat warpped them or softened the aluminum. I wouldn't think they would use that much heat however?

Powdercoating is in hundreds of degrees, would have taken 1200+ to warp them IMHO...unless the metal was already an issue...

I know LOTS of guys that have SLAMMED their spindles, and have never seen this...have seen different angle bends, but this one is fascinating!!! :)

DamonJones..... I think you prolly hit it right on the head with the powder coating i bet it was the heat.

mtdream said:
Powdercoating is in hundreds of degrees, would have taken 1200+ to warp them IMHO...unless the metal was already an issue...

Looked up the specs for 6061 aluminum. Melting temp is 1090 but Annealing is 775. If they cooked them too long or too hot they could have annealed them for sure. I'm sure that the spindles are not 6061 and that the temps will very based on what alloy the spindles are. The way they are bent really looks like heat warpage. If they weren't bent from the get go I'll bet they have been annealed to the point that they bend very easy.

Also when I first saw these my first thought was that extruded aluminum like this should have cracked and not bent. Another reason they looked to have been annealed.

This is nothing new. Guys who were racing in the IronDog back in 08 braced and welded plates on their's because this was happening. You can even now get parts/accessories from Yamaha that go on the outside of the spindles to give them added strength, so take it from there.

Back