• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best Clutch Kit

dylanjen9

Expert
What is the best clutck kit for my apex er 121''. I mostly trail ride but also like to drag race other sleds. I would like good holeshot and still be able to pull away for others. Main thing I want to do is beat my buddy who has an apex ltx completely stock. He has one tooth smaller gear then me but a longer track so what should I do?

Ulmer's and Sled-Werx both put out good kits. I found the Sled-Werx Trail Terminator kit to be the better of the two. It uses adjustable Dalton weights where the Ulmer kit uses super tips. The dalton's can be adjusted without taking the clutch apart.

I don't think you will find a bad kit out there, they're all pretty good. What it boils down to it how much you wanna spend, how good of a tuner are you and what are you really looking to gain....as the wise Turk once said, " clutching is a compromise, you can't have it all ".

Some kits come with more components which doesn't make them better. I would do a search and read up on what guys have said about the popular kits out there. Are you a tuner who will constantly make adjustments or are you a " set it and forget it" kind of guy?

dylanjen9 said:
What is the best clutck kit for my apex er 121''. I mostly trail ride but also like to drag race other sleds. I would like good holeshot and still be able to pull away for others. Main thing I want to do is beat my buddy who has an apex ltx completely stock. He has one tooth smaller gear then me but a longer track so what should I do?
That is the key,drop down one tooth on top,and add a set of differant weights,i have always ran my owne special clutch set ups i do myself,but allen has a good kit,dalton weights work good,i am using the old style dalton weights from a turbo,i cut down,and as long as you get things to shift out all the ways,and hold your max rpms for top,at around 10,600-11,000 you will run strong,and the smaller gear,will do nothing but help,it helps with your clutching as well.

when you says change the weights what should I change them to. What do I have know the clutch is all stock and how hard is it to change weights.

nailsandrails said:
Ulmer's and Sled-Werx both put out good kits. I found the Sled-Werx Trail Terminator kit to be the better of the two. It uses adjustable Dalton weights where the Ulmer kit uses super tips. The dalton's can be adjusted without taking the clutch apart.

Hoping to purchase a new Sled-Werx Terminator clutch for my Vector soon. He has had them for Apex's/Attack's and will shortly have them available for Vector's as well ;)!

I have ulmer stage 2 setup and it came pre set from allen and was pretty much bang on from the get go runs 10600 to 10900 rpm depending on ice conditions and hauls donkey.
your also almost always going to get beat by the long tracks out of the hole, cheap way out is the top year and the 20 dollar white secondary spring the long track uses

If you want a sure way to beat him every time you should change your track out for a deeper lug track. Put all your torque to the snow or at least more than your buddy that's the key 99% of the time. The clutch kit will only help if you take care of your track spin problems. Jmo.

Back