• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bit the Bullet - Axis Shocks

OCD master, this is what I'm struggling with. I could upgrade to the full set of QS3R's for ~$1900 (as far as I can tell for all 4 from Babbitts) or go with the Axis package for $3300. Is the Axis set going to make "that" much of a difference over the QS3R's?

I made the decision to go with Axis for a few reasons.

1. They are a true custom shock of extremely high quality not mass produced like Fox. Not a knock on Fox just not the quality of Axis.
2. There are only 3 settings on the QS3R and what I have read only 2 of the 3 are usable. IMO not vary granular.
3. Yamaha has them made for the masses, valved and sprung for a very wide variety of riders weights and styles.
4. Axis has years of experience with this chassis and customer feedback with varying degrees of rider weights, riding styles etc.
5. Hygear/Axis specialize and focus on one thing - SHOCKS. They are suspension experts with years of experience.

I was seriously considering the Fox QS3R's as they are a great shock. At the end i chose the Axis cause I wanted the best shocks available and IMO they are it. Worth they worth the extra money? In many cases probably not but I got what I wanted and am very pleased I did. Now lets all hope for snow.

Rick

I am trying to decide myself if to upgrade my ltx se shocks, we ride a lot of bumps as a rule. Wondering if fox from rabbits or exits from monster performance, Ian has always hit a home run for me on past sleds and the exits are about 2600

OCD master, this is what I'm struggling with. I could upgrade to the full set of QS3R's for ~$1900 (as far as I can tell for all 4 from Babbitts) or go with the Axis package for $3300. Is the Axis set going to make "that" much of a difference over the QS3R's?
Holy crap, I thought they were only a couple hundred more.

1900 for all FOUR Qs3Rs, that seems like a killer price...I figured 2500 at least...be sure its the "r" models off LE.

Sure cant say that I would ever find a better riding shock at that price.

Dan

One thing that should be considered too...

If you plan to sell sled, and get another similar sled where the custom shocks can be used again. Then you sell this sled with stock original shocks, and keep the custom shocks for the next sled.

That is one reason to buy really good custom shocks, you can move them from sled to sled and they will last many many yrs.

Dan

One thing that should be considered too...

If you plan to sell sled, and get another similar sled where the custom shocks can be used again. Then you sell this sled with stock original shocks, and keep the custom shocks for the next sled.

That is one reason to buy really good custom shocks, you can move them from sled to sled and they will last many many yrs.

Dan

That is true. Also I was told that I can get 60% of the money spent back if I decided to sell/trade them which is pretty good.

Only VX1R: aka Don will be able to answer that question this year since he has both shock packages. If i had Don's money, i'd own 50 sleds each with a different shock package & tune in it. Then i would personally drive to Minnesota & give you the results over a beer. BUT i don't so i'll wait for Don's wife to post the difference in shocks.

P.S.: We need Don's wife to report since i've lost confidence in Papa DON Smurf's ability to judge anymore

Only VX1R: aka Don will be able to answer that question this year since he has both shock packages. If i had Don's money, i'd own 50 sleds each with a different shock package & tune in it. Then i would personally drive to Minnesota & give you the results over a beer. BUT i don't so i'll wait for Don's wife to post the difference in shocks.

P.S.: We need Don's wife to report since i've lost confidence in Papa DON Smurf's ability to judge anymore

I like beer to...and vodka, and tequila, and wine.:jump:

I looked at an RTX LE parts diagram. Maybe it's more than the "damper assembly" part listing?

#51 in this diagram https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/58fe2bcf87a8660b7ce81558/ski, shows $459.62 for https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/8kp-f330e-00-00/damper-assy
Here is ronnies fiche....this is about $2344 with coil springs. Babbits is less usually.
Clipboard01.jpg

front.jpg
center .jpg
rear.jpg

Last edited:
Rabbits online cheaper
You mean Babbits?

I usually buy from them, but when trying to get thru their site, their norton controlled pages constantly lock up, and that is why I rarely go on their site, as it takes forever..so I grabbed these screenshots off ronnies as their site flies.

P.S.: We need Don's wife to report since I've lost confidence in Papa DON Smurf's ability to judge anymore

Good luck with that Steve......

20841849_10214346222269182_3965953612404919102_n.jpg

I like beer to...and vodka, and tequila, and wine.:jump:

Sounds like you may have a problem. SO, maybe i should drive. Pick me up on your way to Maine. I'll drive, you drink, next day we can compare stock shocks to Axis, then i'll report back on TY & see if we can give a better over-view than Gumby Don or his wife.

Back