• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BOP driveshaft bearing repair

Ramaha

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2023 Sidewinder LTX-LE EPS
2017 Sr Viper RTX-SE
2014 Sr Viper RTX-SE
1998 Venture 700
My buddy's 2015 STX completely spun the bearing on the driveshaft. He ordered BOP's driveshaft bearing repair kit. Took a week or so, being from Canada. The piece looked very good and the quality was top notch, however it did not come with instructions. It looked straight forward enough, however...

Had to drop the skid to get enough access to the 3 bolts in the tunnel for the brake caliper. The bearing fits very tight on the driveshaft. We thought we had it all the way onto the shaft so we removed the screws and drilled the shaft through the screw holes on the bearing. Figured we had it in the bag, however when we installed the brake rotor, we were 1/16" too short to reinstall the circlip. Had to put a ratchet strap across the tunnel and tap the driveshaft with a hammer and piece of 2x4 and the bearing slid completely in. Re-drilled the driveshaft and reinstalled the screws with blue lock-tite.

If you plan on installing this kit, double check your brake rotor circlip clearance before drilling the shaft.

I never had to drop the skid to get to those 3 bolts on the inside of the tunnel, a ratchet wrench always worked for me and I can’t see how having the skid down would give more access unless you removed it. But at any rate, I’m assuming you loosened the tension on track before you removed the caliper? Otherwise you put a lot of bind on the driveshaft bearing in chain case housing.
Did you clean the driveshaft with a little emery cloth, scotch brite or fine sand paper before sliding on the repair bearing? I’ve never installed the repair kit but I would think those set screws are suppose to tighten against the driveshaft like every other pillow block bearing or bearing with collar I’ve put on a shaft. I’m not for sure on how that kit goes on but there may be a video on YouTube about it.
And then you didn’t have enough driveshaft sticking thru rotor to install the clip so you beat the driveshaft in toward the chain case? Wouldn’t that give you less stick out? Or did you mean you beat the caliper with bearing in onto the driveshaft?
I’m not following but I’ve been awake for 32 hrs so it might be just me.

Had to drop the skid to get enough access to the 3 bolts in the tunnel for the brake caliper
Not need, you can reach those without skid drop
so we removed the screws and drilled the shaft through the screw holes on the bearing.
I did the same. I did not drill all the way through, just enough to get the set screws to bite.
when we installed the brake rotor, we were 1/16" too short to reinstall the circlip
I have seen this before. I have had a few times when I had to strap the tunnel together a bit
If you plan on installing this kit, double check your brake rotor circlip clearance before drilling the shaft
Yes!!! the set screws are the LAST thing to install!!!

I installed one of these bearings on my brand new LTX and will be installing another on a couple of 2020 T-Cats

We dropped the skid as we found it was easier and quicker then trying to work in a confined space. Looking back I would have done the set screws last.

Other then then the issue with the bearing seating, I am impressed with this part. Just need to get some miles on to see how it holds up.

Back