• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BOP Driveshaft Saver...60ftlbs too much?

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
2021 Sidewinder
800 very non aggressive miles
Installed Driveshaft saver to 60ftlbs
Did not loosen caliper to see if it was gripping.
It "felt the same at 60ftlbs" as the other 4 that I have installed.

Without over analyzing this, the main question is...
Can the wedge be over torqued to the point of causing damage to shaft & bearing?

2021 Sidewinder
800 very non aggressive miles
Installed Driveshaft saver to 60ftlbs
Did not loosen caliper to see if it was gripping.
It "felt the same at 60ftlbs" as the other 4 that I have installed.

Without over analyzing this, the main question is...
Can the wedge be over torqued to the point of causing damage to shaft & bearing?
IMO not at 60 lbs.

I would agree. Once you get past that point and it won't lock the bearing down time for a serious look.

Imo 60lbs is too much. Anything after 50ftlbs will cause the ears to bend and the tool will get stuck inside the shaft. Only way to get it out is to disassemble chain case and knock it out towards the disc.

Also torquing it too much will swell the inner race of the bearing at 3 points where the ears of the tool push into the bearing. These high spots will actually shorten the life of the bearing as it won't roll perfectly true.

Imo with a perfect shaft the magic number is 45-50 ft lbs.

Imo 60lbs is too much. Anything after 50ftlbs will cause the ears to bend and the tool will get stuck inside the shaft. Only way to get it out is to disassemble chain case and knock it out towards the disc.

Also torquing it too much will swell the inner race of the bearing at 3 points where the ears of the tool push into the bearing. These high spots will actually shorten the life of the bearing as it won't roll perfectly true.

Imo with a perfect shaft the magic number is 45-50 ft lbs.
If it gets stuck inside a slide hammer and blind bearing remover works. The bolt has to come out first but it can be removed from inside shaft. Done it. By no means disagreeing with your post on to much torque. 40-48 is where I have been with them, and agree that should be the range. I guess the guy at 60 will find out if it to much.

So....is there some consensus on a torque value higher then 30 ft lbs? Or just leave it at 30??

Back